TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Thanks guys for sharing these, I saved them. Judging by luked poncho I'm guessing this was filmed during the Sand storm after they blew up jabbas sail barge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I am assuming. Idk the scene order that Jedi was shot in though.

Yeah that's what I am assuming. Idk the scene order that Jedi was shot in though.

Don't quote me in this but I thought the Yuma scenes were the first filming of RoTJ.

Have u seen the delete sand storm scene? If my memory is correct the falcon ramp and the wing of Luke's Xwing are there... they walk up the falcon ramp, and when Luke says bye to leia he frenches her

Way nastier then the ESB kiss...

But he's wearing this same poncho in this scene

I don't think they built a falcon and xwing for the Yuma desert, so it could all have been filmed on a sound stage, and filmed when ever

So many possibilities I love it!!

Also-- I am 99% sure that the sandstorm scene was shot on a stage. They actually used the Falcon Exterior set from ESB (well, about half of it) which would have made no sense to take to the desert for one scene. Also-- an interior would allow them to control the "storm" better.

Funny enough, this is the only time the exterior Falcon set was used, and didn't make the film. The only other time we see it is in the hanger bay behind Lando-- and in that shot it's a matte painting, in one of the few ROTJ composites that hasn't aged very well in my opinion.

Also-- I am 99% sure that the sandstorm scene was shot on a stage. They actually used the Falcon Exterior set from ESB (well, about half of it) which would have made no sense to take to the desert for one scene. Also-- an interior would allow them to control the "storm" better.

Funny enough, this is the only time the exterior Falcon set was used, and didn't make the film. The only other time we see it is in the hanger bay behind Lando-- and in that shot it's a matte painting, in one of the few ROTJ composites that hasn't aged very well in my opinion.
It was filmed at Elstree, stage 2, January 11, 1982. And it was the very first day of principal photography.
*source: The Making of Return of the Jedi, J.W. Rinzler. Page 123

That would make sense then why he has the Graflex on day one. Maybe this is Mark pointing out that he lost that saber in Empire, and that's when they started working on the new one or finding the V2. The photos are clearly them talking about the lightsaber in some form. All 3 of them are looking at it. Not sure Mark would notice it's the same saber or not, but it makes sense.

heres the full video of the deleted sandstorm scene. dont be fooled at the end with luke and the glove on the wrong hand. the film is reversed
<br>

i dont believe i see any saber bouncing off his belt... hard to tell

(updated it with a better video)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's there in the shot where he's walking away from the falcon after saying goodbye to Han. Hard to see which one it is, though. Looks kinda like the V2 to me though.

It's there in the shot where he's walking away from the falcon after saying goodbye to Han. Hard to see which one it is, though. Looks kinda like the V2 to me though.

im having a hard time picking it out... im gonna watch it again

i found a better quality video, you can see it bouncing around right at the beginning, V2 for sure :thumbsup

It's the V2, you can see the outline clearly when he gets in the cockpit, bottom right. It's on the right of his belt since the footage is flipped, and bounces around as he sits down.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 4.48.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-24 at 4.48.31 PM.png

attachment.png

Could the shots of them looking at the graflex and talking about it and then the actual scene being filmed with the V2 prove that this was the scene where they realized it needed to be something different and hastily threw together the V2 with the stunt they found ?! I mean it does seem odd that we have on set photos of them looking at a Graflex, clearly discussing something about it, and now the finished scene with a totally different prop. He never uses the saber in the scene, so it's not like it was a case of using a different saber for fighting or something.

This swap on DAY 1 of filming looks like a smoking gun for the switch.

Last edited:
It's the V2, you can see the outline clearly when he gets in the cockpit, bottom right.

View attachment 700984View attachment 700985

Could the shots of them looking at the graflex and talking about it and then the actual scene being filmed with the V2 prove that this was the scene where they realized it needed to be something different and hastily threw together the V2 with the stunt they found ?!

i think so! exciting isn't it buddy!?

George : 'Yes that's going to be your 'new' lightsaber, Mark.

Mark : 'But ... but it can't be ... can it? ... Everyone in the audience will be confused ... they know it dropped down the shute ... it's gone ... never to be used ... ever, George!'

George : Hmm ... wear it anyway Mark ... prepare the shot ... while I gather my thoughts.'

Mark : 'But ...'

George : 'And ... action!'

Later in the editing room . . .

George : '@#$%^ Mark was right ... that saber is confusing indeed ... okay let's skip that whole sandstorm scene altogether ... what a waste of my $$$$ ... have the prop-department prepare another lightsaber for Mark ... pronto!'

Ben Burtt (editor) : 'We could always use that stunt from OB1 ... paint it up a little ... add that clamp ... problem solved George.'

George : 'Make it so!'

:lol

Chaïm

Or--- that's the V2. Since the sandstorm was the first scene shot, and they realized they needed a new saber, they grabbed the shared stunt quick for a belt hanger. But maybe realized MORE painted needed to come off to look different from Obi-Wan. So maybe the paint was hastily and quickly scoured off.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back