Tell me a good story for the chance to win a screen used mask from Pandorum.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I have an extra screen used sleep mask from the film Pandorum (thanks to a fellow RPF member giving me one!). All I ask is that you tell me a good story from within the hobby; anything at all. I will pick a story I like best and will send this piece to the person who posted it. I will make my choice on Monday, Jan 6, so get to posting!

pandorum-sleep mask.jpg

I really only have one good prop story...

In the summer of 2015, my son was an active duty Marine & on a training deployment in northern Africa. Some friends of ours with a timeshare in Disney offered to take me, my wife, & my daughter to Disneyworld for Star Wars week. Well, I hated that my son, the other Star Wars fan in the family was going to miss it, so I wanted to do something special for him. I decided to build him a Graflex saber, then have the various characters in the park, take a pic with it. I asked for help on here, & between Roy, mugatu, & some others, I was able to make an EP VII saber that I was really proud of, so off to Disney we went.

I have NEVER felt more like a nerd in all my then 44 years, & I had an absolute blast!

It started on the bus ride to the parks. I was asked by almost everyone that noticed it, or pointed it out to their kids, where I bought it. I was gladly able to say that I'd built it, & was able to evangelize for the RPF at the same time. As I'd launch into a history of the prop, some eyes would glaze over, but others would stand there with open ears & jaws dropped, soaking up every word. I'd hand it to parents or their kids & they'd handle it like a precious Faberge Egg.

We get to the park & I began my mission. I got some great responses form characters like Zam Wessel & some Tusken Raiders, who acted like they were going to steal it, then some like Leia & Vader refused to acknowledge me & had their handlers tell me to go away.

My best 2 reactions were, of course, Luke & Anakin. Luke compared mine to his, & asked if I wanted to trade. I caught Anakin as he was going back in from his photo ops. He admired the saber as I told him what I was doing, then said to wait there. He went into the back & came back out with Mace Windu & Kit Fisto, telling them the story as he walked. All three were incredibly generous & posed for several photos with the saber. Really hamming it up. It was great. As there was a bit of a crowd gathering, Mace was telling folks my story, & I had several guys asking to see the saber. My favorite was one guy who showed it to his girlfriend & as he did, he was pushing the red button. She FREAKED, slapped him in the neck & yelled, "Don't point that thing at my face you A**H***!!!". Everyone in the crowd died laughing that she thought it was 'real'.

This brings me to my favorite part of the story. On the very last day, about an hour before we were going to hit the road for home, we went back one last time for some souvenirs. I had the saber clipped to the side of my backpack, not thinking anything of it, & I get stopped at the gate by security. Guy asked what it was & I tell him the story. Stone faced, he says, " You can't bring this into the park.". I explained that I'd worn it everyday, all day, for the last 6 days. He's not having it, so I asked him to check with someone else. He calls over a supervisor & tells his side of the situation. The security guy holds the saber, inspecting it carefully, shaking it, looking down the emitter end, looks me dead in the eye, & asks..."Is this thing real, son?"...

I looked him right back & said ," Sir...I honest to God don't know how to answer that question."

He rolled his eyes, shook his head, handed me the saber & mumbled to the other guy to let me in.
:lol:

I had an incredible week, but everything paled in comparison to giving my son his new saber & a photo book of it traveling the 'Galaxy'.(y)

Last edited:
I have a story about how I did a successful 3 way trade that involved a now banned member to trade my Graflex to get a full set of Storm Trooper armor.

Back in the day when FX Trooper armor was THE thing and that's really all there was, I got bit by the Trooper bug. I couldn't afford to purchase the armor at the time but I decided that I had to have it.

I saw a post by a (now banned) member of the RPF, Wolf Morgan FX. He wanted a graflex. I had one. He use to make some pretty ok Predator armor and costumes and said he would trade me a full Predator setup for the Graflex. The gears in my head began to turn.

I reached out to an FX armor seller and asked if he would be interested in trading a set of his trooper armor for a Predator costume. He was interested. I contacted Wolf and made him aware of the situation and as if the stars were aligning, everyone was on board BUT!! I had to send my Graflex to Wolf... a somewhat "backed up" vendor at the time, before he would start making the costume for the FX armor vendor. So I did. I took a leap of faith and sent it to him.

After a long time. Almost a year if I remember correctly. Wolf made good on his promise and sent the Predator get up to the Armor vendor. The vendor was happy with it. Had some qualms but honored the deal and sent me a complete Storm trooper armor kit.

I wish I still had pictures of that armor but they are long gone.... but that's how I made a 3 way trade to get Trooper armor for my Graflex.

For my son’s high school graduation we made our own Captain America/Winter Soldier costumes. My wife taught me how to sew, then the rest we figured out using skills we already had, combined with things we learned on the RPF.

The plan all along was to make the pilgrimage to SDCC but the finances just didn’t work out. About that same time I learned about Dragoncon so we just hopped in the car for a much cheaper trip.

My Cap was mediocre at best but 100% home made. But we were particularly proud of how the Winter Soldier came out (of course 100% home made as well). As the weekend progressed, over and over, kids would come up to us and yell ‘Captain America!’ We would all pose together for pictures but the kids would often stay away from my son. I really felt bad about that but he did not seem too phased. Then, on the afternoon of the last day we were there, a probably 5-6 year-old little boy ran up to my son yelling ‘Winter Soldier!’ My sons eyes lit up and he really hammed it up with the kid for the cameras. The rest of the afternoon he had decidedly more pep in his step, reliving the event later that evening as we reviewed our day.

It was an unforgettable trip and we are now working together on our next costumes...
to be continued...

My absolute favorite story regarding props/costumes involves my two year old daughter. Now she is the typical girly girl, baby dolls and Barbies and such. But she has recently began to assist me in some of my builds, most notably a baby Yoda and Rey's NN-14. When not assisting me, she is usually "baby sitting" my Hot Toys figures around my office. She loves all characters from every franchise, but has taken a serious interest in Darth Vader. Fast forward to an event my wife purchased tickets to, a meet and greet of Disney characters with snacks, dance party and other stuff for the little ones.

So we check in and as she is taking her coat off, her face lights up immediately. I see Elsa and Anna from Frozen in her line of sight and before I can take her coat, she takes off. I chase after her and to my surprise, she blows past the two Frozen characters and even picks up speed. It's then I see her target, the dark lord of the Sith himself, Lord Vader. I figured she'd say hello and pose for a picture before making her way around to meet the other characters. NOPE, she hung around and stalked Darth Vader for the entire duration of the event! He was always super kind, even though she had him pose for at least 15 pictures. The picture attached was the last one of the day, Vader seemed to have had his share of this youngling.

On a side note, if this Vader is a member here, thank you so much for being so kind and accessible to my daughter. She had an amazing time and weeks later still talks about it.

Vader.jpg

In 2009, I needed some dental work that was going to cost a few thousand dollars. While I was in the chair, my dentist said, “Hey, I heard you have a DeLorean time machine from Back to the Future.” In that numbed up, barely intelligible dental speak that we all know, I answered in the affirmative. As he continued his assault on my mouth with barbaric tools that really shouldn't have any place in 21st century medicine, he said he would knock a thousand bucks off my bill if I'd allow him to display it at the neighborhood business expo booth the following month to help promote his practice. I nodded in agreement, and the following month, the event went off without a hitch. As I was about to drive home, an older gentleman approached me, and said, “My friend would really love to see your car. Would you drive over to his home so he can see it?” The question struck me as presumptuous and strange, so I asked him why I would be compelled to do such a thing. He said, “Well, we live in Anthem (a 55+ age-restricted community) and it’s just a couple of miles from here. And he has some movie stuff you might like to see.”

“Movie stuff” definitely piqued my curiosity, so I thought, “I’ll always wonder what he had if I don’t go, so what the hell—I’m game.” So, I got in the time machine and followed the guy for a few miles until we got to a cookie-cutter stucco home in a cul-de-sac. A guy in his mid 60s came out with a big smile and introduced himself as John. He was truly enamored of the DeLorean, asked me a lot of questions, and took pictures. I offered to let him sit in the driver’s seat, and he eagerly took me up on it.

After about 20 minutes, I said that I was told he had some cool movie stuff. He said, “Oh! Yes, I have the Ferrari Daytona 365 from the Miami Vice TV series.” Well, I just happen to be a huge Miami Vice fan, and asked to see it. He was more interested in showing me his C6 Corvette parked out front, but I couldn’t care less about that. So, he opened the garage, and there it was. Sure enough, it looked just like the one in the show and I said he must be a big fan to spend what must have been a considerable amount of money on a replica Miami Vice car. He said, “It’s not a replica, son. It’s the real deal!”

Well…as a big fan, I just happened to know a lot about the movie cars used in Miami Vice. I told him that one of the screen used Daytona 365s is currently in a museum and being offered for $140k. The other one is in private hands, but no one seems to know exactly who has it. He smiled and said, “Well, now you know.” Of course, I asked if I could take a closer look, check under the hood, etc., because I knew that A. The screen used cars were replica Ferraris built on a Corvette C3 chassis. B. The 350hp Corvette engine simply had a Ferrari logo pasted on it and C. It was a 3-speed automatic transmission (instead of the manual the real Ferrari had) that the audience quickly caught a glimpse of in one episode.

He popped the hood, and you could see plain as day that it wasn't housing a Ferrari engine. I checked the gear shift, and sure enough, it was an automatic. He could tell I was still a little skeptical, so he asked, “Remember that episode when Crockett gets thrown on the hood?” I nodded and laughed. He closed the hood and pointed to a spot. “That’s where he landed on it. I never got it fixed.” Sure enough, there were cracks in the fiberglass. Then he pointed to the front of the car and said, “Look under there.” Suddenly, every last iota of doubt melted away. The giant metal camera bar was still mounted under the car!

I couldn’t believe the Miami Vice “Ferrari” 365 Daytona was living right under my nose—just 10 miles from my house (and I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, lol)! Of course, I had to hear the story behind this. John invited me inside his home and said…

“Well, during filming, they wouldn’t let anyone get close to the car, so I couldn’t get a look at the VIN number. But I did a little digging, got the info I needed and tracked the VIN over the years. I lost track of it a few years ago, but then it popped up in a used car lot in Washington. So, I went over there and found it. The lot owner had no idea what it was, other than that it wasn’t a real Ferrari. He wanted $9,000 for it, so I told him I would take it off his hands today if he would take $7,000. The guy just wanted it off his lot, and gladly took the deal. So that’s how I got it.”

I said, “Back up a bit, John. How did you get the VIN number if you didn’t have access to the car, and how in the hell does one TRACK a VIN to a particular address? Were you a cop?” He chuckled and said, “No—I’m retired FBI.”

At that point, I asked where the bathroom was and he pointed me down the hall. While in there, I noticed there were movie makeup facial appliances laying on the sink! I said, “Uh, John—what are those from?” He replied, “Oh, those are from Terminator 2. They’re Arnold's T-800 facial appliances from when his skin is supposed to be scraped off. I wore them for our community Halloween party last week with a leather jacket. No one knew who I was”, he said, disappointedly. "They just thought I was a rough-looking biker dude.”. i said, “John, who has this stuff just sitting in the bathroom? What other things are you hiding? Inquiring minds want to know. =)”

John took me to another room with a display full of prop stuff, mostly guns. I easily recognized a few—Riggs’ Beretta from Lethal Weapon, Arnold’s Desert Eagle from The Last Action Hero, etc. “My best friend is an actor.”, he said. "We drove out to California together when we were teenagers. All these years, he’s been sending me props and wardrobe. You know Bruce Davison? He’s Senator Kelly in the X-Men movies, and has been in tons of stuff.” He opened a closet that was full of crew jackets. He took one out—it was from Con Air, one of my favorite movies. “Try it on”, he said. I obliged, and it fit perfectly. “It’s yours”, he said. I told him that while I truly appreciated his generous offer, the jacket is worth hundreds of dollars and I couldn’t accept it. He then pulled out another crew jacket, this time from Air Force One. “Take this one, too”, he said. “I have dozens of these things. Someone else should get the chance to enjoy them.”

I was speechless and immensely grateful. John said, “Hey, we should trade cars for a day and cruise to a bar or something. We could have a few drinks while everyone checked out our cars." I thought it was an awesome idea, and driving the Miami Vice “Ferrari” would be the thrill of a lifetime. He felt the same way about the time machine.

John and I became friends, but we usually only saw each other once every few years, and shared the occasional text. By now, it has been about 5 years since we’ve talked. A few months ago, I called him but his number had changed. I went to his house and his wife answered the door. She was very terse with me. Turns out she and John got divorced a few years ago and she said she had no idea where he was, nor did she care.

I’ve researched him on the web, but always come up with his Arizona address as his last address, and no valid phone number or email address. However, after telling you all about my experience with him, I think I’ll take another look. He’s 73 now, and I wonder if he still has the Daytona. I actually want to ask him if he’d consider selling it. Crockett’s Ferrari has once again gone off grid, but you never know what you’ll stumble upon in the prop world. I’ve added it to my list of grails, and I’ll never stop searching.

P. S. I actually posted pix of the Con Air jacket a few years ago (link below).

NECA Alien Egg & Facehugger

IMG_0900.jpgIMG_0904.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0907.jpgIMG_0909.jpgIMG_0910.jpgIMG_0915.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0920.jpgIMG_0921.jpg

Last edited:
Love the stories we have coming in! Today is the last day. I will be making the call tonight! Get those stories in!

I'm really humbled everyone. I appreciate everyone's encouragement, & thanks to Art for the contest.

I enjoyed everyone's stories, & love hearing how this hobby can create awesome family memories, & even start new friendships. A big thanks again to all the forum members that helped me in the building of that saber.

--Darrell

WAIT!!! Is it too late to enter a prop story?

***WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE. ADULT SUPERVISION IS ADVISED!***

So there I was... Day 2 at a prop convention. Not just any old prop convention, but the greatest movie prop convention in the world: The 54 Acre Great Darke County Prop Convention and Mixer of 1996.

The afternoon had been exciting but draining. Long lines waiting for autographs, the food court had run out of bourbon chicken, and being the second day of the convention, many of those who chose to attend in character saw their costumes beginning to wear down, fray, and once bright colors had grown started to become slightly muted.

As I had missed my opportunity for the ultimate “Van” meet-n-greet trifecta (Lee Van Cleef, Mario Van Peebles, and Druish King Dick Van Patten) I decided it was time to head out and retire this unrecognized Drexl costume and maybe catch a drink at the bar adjoining the convention center, by the main entrance/exit of the convention center.

I made my way to the oasis, which was a small hotel bar made to fit twenty patrons, with a small step platform in the corner for hotel jazz. Bob Hope’s the Paleface was playing on the TV’s behind the bar, which was tended to by a wide tracksuit wearing fellow whose attempt at joining in the festive occasion was a pair of sunglasses.

This breather would be a nice reprieve to unwind, toast the festive convention, and admit defeat on the autograph/memory collecting front.

I made my way to the bar when in a sideways glance, my eyes were drawn as if by tractor beam to the dame standing on the small step stage along with a tuxedo’d man playing an upright bass and another sitting behind a 3 piece drum kit. We locked eyes (the dame and me, not the two penguins and me) and the rest of the nearly empty bar fell away into darkness leaving the two of us alone absorbed in a moment... like if we both were standing in Magneto’s plastic prison cell at the beginning of X-Men: United.

Her hair was the color of bricks in old paintings.
She had a full set of curves and the kind of legs you'd like to suck on all day.
She gave me a look l could feel in my hip pocket.
Maybe this prop convention wouldn’t be a total bust after all. And speaking of “bust”...
Yep, this was starting to get interesting.

Having finished a slow jazz blues number that left the room steamy, she approached me, her sparkling red dress shimmering with the dreams of every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the room wishing he was me.

“Is this seat taken?” she pried, motioning to the empty bar stool next to me as the smoky words slid out between her fire engine red lips. This dame had looks that would turn a priest straight.

I motioned for the bartender. “A martini for the lady,” I said.

“And for you?”quipped the rotund bartender who reminded me of the “She’s Your Queen” vocalist from Coming to America.

“Crown and Colt.”

Suddenly, our party of two was interrupted by a guy dressed as Andy Dufresne. He had been sitting a several stools down completely absorbed by the Paleface the entire time the chartreuse had been singing. He brushed past me and took the dame’s blue gloved hand and moved it to his lips to kiss it, when I sprung up raising my own ungloved fists.

Half startled, Dufresne posited ”Would it help if I you knew this is my wife?“

“Married?” I laughed. “You know, that makes us practically related.”

Dufresne looked puzzled. His eyes kept occasionally darting toward the Paleface on the TV’s, but he pulled a stool from the other side of the dame and wedged it directly between ours. The balls on this guy! I laughed. “So you’re going to have a drink with us?” I asked incredulously as he remained standing between the dame and me.

“No thanks,” he replied, his attention returning to the old movie playing on the televisions.

“No thanks?” I asked, the aggravation rising in my voice. “What does that mean? You drank before you came down here? Already loosened up. Is that it?” I prodded trying to raise his anger and also to size up what kind of man this tall drink of water with a silver spoon up his ass really was.

“Naw, I don’t think so,” I continued. “I think you’re too scared to be drinking. Now see, we’re sittin’ down here, ready to negotiate, and you’ve already given up your ****,” I schooled him, “but I’m still a mystery to you. Yeah, I know exactly where your white ass is comin’ from.
“See, if I asked you if you wanted a drink and you grabbed a Hennessy and started to throw em back, I’d say to myself, ‘This ************’s carryin’ on like he ain’t got a care in the world. And who know... maybe he don’t. Maybe this fool’s such a bad ************, he don’t got to worry about nothin’, he just sit down, drink my Crown, watch some TV.’ But you ain’t even sat down yet.
“On that stage over there, since you been in the room, was this fine ass woman singing with her breastesses damn near hangin’ out, and you ain’t even bothered to look. You just been clockin’ Bob Hope. Now, I know Bob’s pretty, but he ain’t as pretty as a couple of titties.“

Dufresne responded keeping his eyes on the Paleface, “I’m not drinking cause I’m not thirsty. I’m not sitting cause we’re not staying. I’m not looking at the singer cause I hear her sing every night, in our bedroom. Besides, it’s Bob Hope,” he offered.

Not understanding I asked him, “So?”

He responded, “Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And good things never die.”

I thought for a moment. Then I laughed.
I looked at the bartender, who had been stoic, now shaking his head at the utter disrespect being flung at me. “Well looky what we have here,” I announced, “Charlie Bronson...”

With that, I beat Andy Dufresne like he just broke Rooster’s nose and therefore ought to have something to show for it. He resisted and got a few punches in, but ultimately I stood triumphantly over his slumped body having beaten him unconscious. In a stupor of blinding rage, as I regained my composure, I still taunted my foe, “He must have thought it was White Boy Day. It ain’t White Boy Day is it?” I called out to the bartender.

“No, man,” the bartender responded as he once again reminded himself that he really really needed to get a new job. “It definitely ain’t White Boy Day.”

As for the Dame and me, we retired to my hotel room, where I first showed her my prop collection which included Rudy’s javelin from Revenge of the Nerds, Gary’s squirt gun from Weird Science, a leather biker’s cap from Police Academy, and a box of chocolates from Forest Gump. We ordered room service and had everything from Little Eyed Joe to damned if I know, followed by some naughty time where we related like Rabbits.

The End

Oh crap, do these stories have to be non-fiction?

Nevermind.
congratulations Usagi Pilgrim

No problem buddy. I’ve been helped so many times here by so many people, it’s great to try to return the favor. I’m super glad the we were able to get it complete in time for your son.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back