SyFy's "Collection Intervention"

Episode four should have been all about Howies collection, some serious historical items and stunning artwork, still , like Hot Toys too. Wasnt expecting therapists though.

Ok, tonight's episode might be the first one that really showcased two collectors that really do need an intervention. Do you guys agree? When the collecting affects your income and ability to live, or affects your relationship.... You really do need help evaluating the situation. It wasn't about the bagged, boarded, organized and alphabatized collection that took up too much space. This was a messy unorganized chaos.

Last week's episode with the Transformers collector showcased someone who needed help. The guy was buying and not selling anything, his home and car were overflowing with items, and his parents were paying his rent. Intervention time!

Well, it is full-blown Hoarders, now.
They made it sound like the other people called for the intervention,
but based on all the fiction called out by Joe, who knows?
Therapists, sheesh; this show gets less appealing with every episode.

Yeah, but see, once you find out that they rig the scenes in some episodes, you can't help but wonder at the veracity of what's depicted throughout the rest of the show.

Of course, when it comes to Schaedenfreude Theater, I'm sure most people don't give a crap; they just wanna watch the freak show, regardless of whether it's a humbug or not. Bring on the bearded lady!

Ok, tonight's episode might be the first one that really showcased two collectors that really do need an intervention. Do you guys agree? When the collecting affects your income and ability to live, or affects your relationship.... You really do need help evaluating the situation. It wasn't about the bagged, boarded, organized and alphabatized collection that took up too much space. This was a messy unorganized chaos.

I agree. But, the guy last week with Transformers DID need one too. When you have your car filled like that, you have an issue. This weeks guy with the posters and stuff did have a problem. He was grabbing just about anything and he didn't even want to do anything about it. However, I don't know why they would bring in a psychologist... The guy who does reviews had a problem too. Granted, I collect similar to that guy, not in that volume obviously.

Not sure if it was because of the dodgy editing or the subterfuge but it seemed a good outcome for both featured people, one guy cleared some stuff and kept most of his collection... and the girl! and the other guy cleared a little bit of stuff and made a smokin profit.

Yeah he did. I mean, he could be making a ton of money if he really tried.

The problem is, most don't think: "Well, it's just been sitting there, collecting dust, and I guess I could rid of it." Because if they did, we'd have no show.

Wow, 2 new episodes tonight... I bet it's cancelled. I mean why would they put a new episode on at 11 pm cst??? I did like Richard Hatch coming on to help the BSG guy put his stuff on display... It was a really nice collection...

The problem with this show ,is they lied to most of the people on the show .They started out saying they would appraise and maybe sell one piece at a auction. ZThey have this woman who is nasty and pompous telling everyone they need counseuling,which is funny since she lives off of them as a auctioneer so she says and this show. Then brings in DEALERS not other collectors and LOW balls them on there stuff,telling them its crap etc. As stated before i wont be sorry when this crap is cancelled ,but do watch to see some cool collections .

I don't know if this show actually lied to anyone. I do know that I personally emailed them, when they were looking for people with large collections.

I talked to the casting company, this guy Lil Chad.

Talking to him and the way he was asking questions about my collection and how my wife felt. They also informed me that a person would evaluate my collection for it's worth and that I would have to sell one item and I would not be able to choose the item. the evaluator would choose the item. Then the money that I got for item, I would buy something nice for my wife. I could tell he was hunting and looking for drama. They wanted to do a 2nd interview with me and my wife on Skype. But after the 1st interview, my wife and I decided that this show was not going to show collectors collections is a positive way.

Maybe I was sceptical from the beginng because I have saw 1st hand how they were doing things on American Chopper a few years ago.

I have been watching the show, because I love to see people collections.

The past couple weeks episodes really got on my nerves with her recommending the psychiatrist/psychologist. When someone recommends that I need to see one, it makes me sound like I am crazy... I wouldn't appretiate that AT ALL. If my goal would be to get my collection under control and sell stuff, I don't need some doctor talking to me to explain the matter.

Dr. "So, you seem to have an issue with your collection"
Collector "If I have an issue with my collection, I may have too many things and no organization."
Dr. "You seem to be holding some sort of emotional attachment that is caused by a inability to control a situation."
Co "Um, what? I like my toys, and they are a part of me in a sense, but I don't do it as an inability of control"
Dr. "Hmm, it must be either your mother or your father causing this issue"
Co "What the hell do my mother and father have to do with my collection getting out of hand?"
Dr. "It is obvious, you have no control over your life whatsoever, and I recommend more counseling. You seem to be on a tight wire and may snap at any minute. Might I also, recommend that you enter an institution?"

Sorry, if I want to be analyzed for mental issues, it sure as hell isn't gonna be over my collection.

As others have suggested, if this show took the premise of helping cluttered/disorganized collectors to get their pieces effectively catalogec, displayed, and appraised, I would find it much more appealing. I'm turned off by the "intervention" aspect. I found the BSG/robot episode to be closer to what I would enjoy.

I like Elyse Luray very much on Antique Roadshow and especially on History Detectives, both on PBS. She has her moments here but is too often abrasive or condescending. It's very different from her other tv persona.

I have no problem with bringing in therapists because in a couple of the situations it was obvious the person needed help. A few of the people were overly attached to their items. I like my stuff, but if I had to sell it I could with no problem. I might be bummed, but it's not taking anything away from me physically or emotionally. I would maybe suggest talking to a therapist off camera though.

I do think they'd get more collector participation if it was just about helping the person appraise and better display their collection.

This shows really finding its legs, ep 5 was great. Richard Hatch was actually a part of his collection for a while!:cool and I was amazed to hear that incredible Robot collection was uninsured. :confused

I do think they'd get more collector participation
if it was just about helping the person appraise and better display their collection.

Ya, but nobody would buy that show unfortunately unless it was DIRT cheap.

I still think the answer lies in approaching each collector appropriate to their individual collection.
A show about a mixture of collections ranging from awesome and not in need of anything but exposure,
to collections in need of organizing and a little thinning, to the full-on, way too much collectors;
would be more interesting and informative.
As it is, it is too forced and insulting to attract real collectors, both as participants OR viewers.

I got the feelings from the earliest episodes that the participants
thought they were going to be on a showcase show,
and felt ambushed when it developed as collector hoarders.
On the last few shows I felt the intervention aspect was in play,
and the interventionees felt betrayed.
The host Elyse really seemed to have a hard time reading the collectors she was dealing with,
is too jaded by the commercial aspects of her collector experience,
and should never have had anyone part with items in their collections for lowball dealer prices
unless they were immediately in need of money.

The therapist is a lousy idea because even where arguably applicable,
his approach was so rushed and superficial (for reality TV)
as to be anything but insulting and useless.
("Would it be OK if we put some items in boxes?"____Give me a break!)

I can't even say I'd continue to watch to see the collections,
because the focus is on the sheer volume,
rather than a focus on the significance of individual pieces or meaning of groups.
I can find far more interesting collections and more useful info about them on the internet,
without a host and editors manufacturing drama where none is called for.

I feel this show is probably done.
The Collection Intervention website quit updating the "where are they now" section
after Joe called them out for lying about his collection.
The official site's forums have generated about a dozen topics and maybe a hundred replies;
hardly qualifying as "buzz!"
Collection Intervention tried to be too many conflicting things at once,
and ended up not really being anything.

Shame; I would have enjoyed Master Collectors....

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Web site buzz may be down, wow, but one good sign for the makers of the show is that either willingly or begrudgingly, people are still watching it.

Web site buzz may be down, wow, but one good sign for the makers of the show is that either willingly or begrudgingly, people are still watching it.

I dunno....
I'm getting the feeling not many are.
Speaking for myself, I watched the six of the original run;
and unless it was advertised as drastically retooled,
I'd not likely watch it any more.

Out of curiosity I checked the ratings
and it was about 79th out of 100 top cable shows with a 0.4 share on August 22nd.
It hasn't cracked the top 100 since then.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back