SyFy's "Collection Intervention"

I originally auditioned for this show and got a second audition callback, which i denied.

Basically when the first auditions went out, they only said they were making a show based on geeks who have geeky collections and they were going to do a positive competition style spin on the collections, but then closer to the second audition i found out that they were actually doing the whole intervention route so i backed out.

I dont regret it.

I recall someone here who knew someone making this or they themself were involved in the making. They advertised here to get people to try out but after a thread discussion, people figured out it was a trap to corner the collector and ambush them with the spouse... Trying to get you to sell. I can't find the thread though :confused

I recall someone here who knew someone making this or they themself were involved in the making. They advertised here to get people to try out but after a thread discussion, people figured out it was a trap to corner the collector and ambush them with the spouse... Trying to get you to sell. I can't find the thread though :confused
http://www.therpf.com/f47/new-collectible-reality-show-looking-collections-148057/
I remember this thread, maybe there are others. Though this thread didn't have any direct participation from the makers of the show.

Tonight's comic book collector has issues :lol

Get it? Issues... As in comics?

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol

I thought tonight's episode was okay. "TheJoe" did well to pair down his collection of comics by half as I think any ability to do that in this market is a good thing. I understand about them being a big part of one's life. But the only thing that I've never been too keen on the "modern" comics market is they never have quite hit the collectibility of the Gold and Silver age stuff, plus with all the frequent reboots, the current storylines with a lot of the comics these days don't go back into the history of the arcs covered in the older stories (except maybe mentioned in passing).

Transformers guy certainly needed some help. Lots of buying with not a lot of selling when it is the "business" to sell gets a bit weird. The bit where he said "I spent $1000 on this vendors table, but I don't think I want to sell now" seemed a little staged to me though. If he made $4200 at that show ($3000 if you don't count the Botcon Breakdown sale), he seemed to know what he was doing at it since that is a pretty good haul for one day's sales, let alone two. The show certainly got him some good advertising.

When he thought that Transformers Animated backpack was worth $25, I damn near fell out of my chair laughing. This guy is either a scalper, or someone who just has no clue....

And once again, I now feel the need to sell my whole collection...maybe I should stop watching the show.

My wife saw this show the other day (I wasn't around) and the first thing she said to me was "Hey, I saw a HIC like yours on this show. The appraiser said it's worth $2500 and will go up in price!" :lol

Not a word about "you need to get rid of your stuff" just happy that what I have isn't worthless I suppose! :thumbsup

Collection Intervention

What can i say, the host really rubs me the wrong way big time.Im amazed after seeing how pompous she talks down to some of these collectors they havent popped her in the mouth, or even throw her out of there houses. Which im sure has happened. She acts like collectors only collect the super rare pieces only those are only ones worth keeping. She doesnt seem to get the notion sometimes a newer cheaper piece is just as important and cherished as one worth a fortune. She is the worst host for this show, which is a shame . Plus her so called experts are what? They never seem to know or willing to buy . just my thought on show . goapebilly

Re: Collection Intervention

One more thing she is so hung up quality over quantity atitude and to any collector that is not always the case ,its how a piece makes you feel and not always whats it worth .Thats where the value is.

"Collection Intervention" OR what my life could have been

My latest Blog deals with the so-called reality show "Collection Intervention" on SyFy. It's not very "real" but it is a bit of a gut-check for anyone who has ever collected anything. Check it out here:

Wrath of Dhan Prop Blog

All these intervention shows are the same. They are scripted to add plenty of spin on the "nuttiness" of the intervene, and the editing plays up the poor relatives who have to live with the psycho collector!:lol

I used to be a big time collector, as in getting several deliveries a month of different toys. I just stopped, right around the time SW:EII was released. I think I may have figures from the first wave, but after that, I just got kind of bored with the whole "completist" thing.

But aside from SW, I have The Simpsons figures and playsets (except for the last 2 series of each), the SideShow Monty Python and the Holy Grail figures, The Tick, Battle of the Planets, Invader Zim, and a few miscellaneous pieces.

I'd easily consider dumping a majority of the SW figures, except for the harder-to-find, or just really cool, ones. But, they're locked away and they're not worth a damn thing. It would cost me more in time and energy to get rid of them, then I could ever make. If they were taking up valuable space, or in the way of anyone enjoying life, then I'd make the effort. But right now, they're not bothering anyone.

The other series of figures, I'd never get rid of, because they were all limited run offerings, from some of my favorite shows and movies.

-Fred

I'd really like it if Joe popped back in and gave us some insight on his show.
Right after watching the episode, I checked his Twitter feed, lot of insight there. He even says his wife didn't want him to sell any comics, it was implied that way through the footage editing. He is pretty vocal about the host as well.

Also looks like he didn't do the trade for Incredible Hulk 181.

http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/8
"Is there any item out there, you don't own, that you'd just love to get your hands on?
I never did sell those books for that Incredible Hulk 181 So that is still top of my want list.

How did Elyse's visit help you as a collector?
With all due respect, Elyse's visit did not help my collecting perspective. "

Well maybe Elyse wasn't helpful enough for Joe the comic collector, but she seems to have helped Dahveed the Transformers collector.

http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/7
"How did Elyse's visit help you? Do you think it was helpful for Dahveed?
Elyse's visit was extremely helpfully. Dahveed has a better understanding between collecting and selling. Our friendship and business is saved thanks to Elyse's help."

Last edited:
I'd really like it if Joe popped back in and gave us some insight on his show.

I was discussing the show with him on Twitter and mentioned that a few people would like for him to come back and discuss on here. Sounded like he was going to do so. It was very interesting to chat with him about it, I think it'll be cool to hear more.

Re: Collection Intervention

What can i say, the host really rubs me the wrong way big time.Im amazed after seeing how pompous she talks down to some of these collectors they havent popped her in the mouth, or even throw her out of there houses.

Funny you should say that... There was a comment made to me, on camera but really not for air, that I told Rebekah if a guy had said that, there would be hands thrown. And I am SO not a violent guy. Overall, she was very nice, but when it got to this personal life and collecting stuff, there's an intrusiveness and presumption that is... off putting.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back