SW The Old Republic Jedi Costume

Saber 98% complete. Just need the paint to settle and I might change the belt clip.

IMG_20140121_152903_458.jpg

Assembled after it came in the box

IMG_20140402_171905_202.jpg

With the chip and wiring/LEDs in place.

IMG_20140501_101902_876.jpgIMG_20140501_101924_339.jpgIMG_20140501_102121_214.jpg

Using some painters tape here and there for the black I burushed on acrylic flat black and then used a teal/aqua colored sharpie to highlight the emitter neck.

Note: I used the sharpie and let it dry for a few seconds before I wiped it off using a dry napkin to smooth out the lines made by the marker. It took a few applications. I strongly suggest you disassemble the parts prior to painting. You may have to 'score' or sand the metal to allow the paint to grip onto the metal. Also, don't forget to use alcohol and clean rags (like an old white tee shirt) to clean the metal prior to painting.

Last edited:
These may help you. I used silver paint over a grey primer and used PlastiKote leafy rise (green).

Thanks man! I'm learning the paint thing as I go. Soon I will be trying to weather the armor with using watered down black paint. Here is what I have so far...

IMG_20140501_124832_617.jpgIMG_20140411_122552_101.jpgIMG_20140501_125052_018.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

These may help you. I used silver paint over a grey primer and used PlastiKote leafy rise (green).

Where did you get your pouches?

The pouches were from ebay, they were old army pouches. Its a matter of just keeping an eye on military surplus items. In relation to weathering I use black or brown acrylic paint mixed with water and washing up liquid give it a splash coat and dab it down with kitchen roll after a minute or so. You build up the layers with a clear coat layer so you don't rub off your hard work.

The pouches were from ebay, they were old army pouches. Its a matter of just keeping an eye on military surplus items. In relation to weathering I use black or brown acrylic paint mixed with water and washing up liquid give it a splash coat and dab it down with kitchen roll after a minute or so. You build up the layers with a clear coat layer so you don't rub off your hard work.

Yea, I've done a few tries on painted cardboard after priming and painting it and I've decided to do a watered down black acrylic and paint it into the creases and edges and then using a old tee shirt to dab it on and let it dry, dab more on later. Like you said, I will probably add browns too. I still have to sew my cloak together and weather it too. Probably going to just cut the bottom in a few spots and unthread it and add a few small holes using my hotknife.

This looks fantastic! lightyears better than how my first sith project turned out. Can I make one suggestion, though? If you look at the drawn concept picture of the jedi warrior, you can tell that he's got shoulder guards underneath his robe. I put them on my original sith armor when I made and it made a HUGE difference in how the armor seemed to sit on the body even with my crappy armor. It really helps to fill out the shoulders under the cloak and give that badass look. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it :p

Either way you go, awesome job!

I have been sitting on two packages of 2x2 mats and a 7 ft length of thinner eva mat foam for about two years now, seemingly perpetually in the "I'll get to it when I have space to build it".

While I don't have the space, this build thread is inspiring me to make whatever space I can and get started on this.

Just gotta get the Pep-file from Fierfek and get this thing going.

Thanks for the inspiration and the guide. I'll be referring to this threat constantly.

This looks fantastic! lightyears better than how my first sith project turned out. Can I make one suggestion, though? If you look at the drawn concept picture of the jedi warrior, you can tell that he's got shoulder guards underneath his robe. I put them on my original sith armor when I made and it made a HUGE difference in how the armor seemed to sit on the body even with my crappy armor. It really helps to fill out the shoulders under the cloak and give that badass look. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it :p

Either way you go, awesome job!

I noticed that, but I'll be adding that after the paint is mostly done. Probably going to do some Roman soldier style shoulder armor so I can use it for a Robin (Batman) costume I am starting up. Thanks tho!
\

- - - Updated - - -

I have been sitting on two packages of 2x2 mats and a 7 ft length of thinner eva mat foam for about two years now, seemingly perpetually in the "I'll get to it when I have space to build it".

While I don't have the space, this build thread is inspiring me to make whatever space I can and get started on this.

Just gotta get the Pep-file from Fierfek and get this thing going.

Thanks for the inspiration and the guide. I'll be referring to this threat constantly.

That's fantastic! If you do photos put the link here so we can see, or even add them to this page!

Ok, so... I wasn't happy with the brushed on green paint so I decided to go with a light spray and then go mad with with weathering the edges and butting on battle damage. I probably could have done better, but... hey... it's my first Jedi. I also re-drew the black lines on the thighs to give the separated armor section look with a simple sharpie.

IMG_20140507_103842_962.jpgIMG_20140507_103837_572.jpgIMG_20140507_103902_755.jpgIMG_20140507_145325_251.jpgIMG_20140507_145333_378.jpgIMG_20140507_145453_391.jpgIMG_20140507_150254_649.jpg

That looks amazing, I've never done full sets of armor like this. How much did this project cost to make?

Purchased the pep files from Fierfek View Profile: Fierfek - the RPF
Message him if you want them.

Most of the money comes out of the paints. About $4-$11 for a can.

Plasti-dip x 2
Nickel Satin x 1
Aluminum Metallic x 1
Dark Green x 1

The foam matting is about $24 (Something like 3x4 foot) Sears.com
Craft foam 2-3 sheets (2mm and 3mm) and 4 (5mm) about $.74-$1.00 each
Cardstock
Razors to cut out cardstock and matting
Printer/Computer of course

Hot glue and gun
Spray adhesive
Buckles and strapping (Varies check online) I think I bought a bunch for less than $15

But, you're looking at about $100-ish but that includes the file purchased from Fierfek. However, I also bought a body suit that has the closest color match for $24 + shipping at Dark Brown Morph Body Suit | Full Body Unisex Lycra Zentai Suits

Detailed tutorial for this is available at Costume tutorials while building: SW: The Old Republic: Jedi Guardian (2014 Build)

IMG_20140508_105602_825.jpgIMG_20140508_105619_654.jpgIMG_20140508_131604_875.jpgIMG_20140508_131623_673.jpg
Purchased some gloves from Walmart in the men's section. But, they are leather/poly fabric that I could paint with metallic sharpies to give it a metallic/sci-fi look.

Note: In the last picture you can see where I added silver paint to the stitched areas for highlighted effect.

I tried and tried to find some inexpensive brown leather gloves/guantlets but the closest I could find were for motorcycle users for $25. These were $11.

Jedi Test Fit with paint 4.jpgJedi Test Fit with paint 3.jpgJediKnight-TOR.jpg

Finished sewing the robe and couldn't resist on doing a test fit and thought I would share. Still need to add some armor to the boots, fasten the hand guards to the gloves (they are held on by rubber bands right now). The ammo pouches I purchased online is still in the mail and I still have to put in the LEDs and center piece (on the chest).

Also, the thigh pieces like to fall down and the forearm guards want to rotate in their own direction. So, I have some industrial strength Velcro and I plan on using it to keep things stuck where they are suppose to. But, all in all what do you think?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back