su-preme...be-ing...of...thaa...UU...NIII...VERSSE!!! (Dalek builds x 7...8...10?!?)

Re: supreme...be-ing...of...thaaa...UU...NIII...VERSSSE!!!!

That's a very nice set of moulds you've got there. Interesting that the skirt mould is split at the front and rear, all the ones I've seen split in between panels 3 and 4. Have you got any ideas for a colour scheme and is this going to be for trundling about in or as a static prop? If you're going to take it to events, make sure you make that fender really strong - kids just love standing on that bit and trying to climb up the hemis.

Have fun with your build.

I can't speak for the other guy's but i am thinking 2 x gold/bronze 1x black and either one davros or the army green version, can't remember his name....i need more coffee. also looking into static and RC. the static ones will have motion sensors with a sound chip / lights etc.

I saw some where you can get a dalek voice changer we may need one of those.

Simon, what gram fiberglass matting did you get?

Ya gotta love those sincere boyish smiles! :thumbsup

I need to turn in my card though, I thought you were talking about this "supreme being" from Time Bandits.

time_bandits.jpg

Guilty too...

Hey muzza the electronics are sorted and the glass is a medium grade. No final decision on that though. I spoke to will and he reckons go the mat as opposed to the sheet.

Ask Danny about the base or frame wood of a steel frame / Aliumium.

Danny uses an MDF base with a cutout for feets power. His layups are more than nice enough to not need any framing as such though there is more MDF throughout the build, especially at the neck and under the dome. The glass is 4mm thick in most places, or more - very strong, tidy, clean layups. I was hugely impressed.

Incidentally, the midsection hinges for entry on one of his NSDs and his OSD, but the other NSD swivels like a tank turret, exactly as per the first Ecclestone Dalek episode. Very impressive!

Ok just ordered 40 L of resin and a roll 100 m of glass mat......if were gonna conquer the world, we may need a few daleks.

Holy cow, dude, that might be overkill! :lol We already have 30L of resin as it is, don't forget. We could always make our own gelcoat out of some of it I guess (mix with bondo to whatever consistency is desired - that's always fun).

That's a very nice set of moulds you've got there. Interesting that the skirt mould is split at the front and rear, all the ones I've seen split in between panels 3 and 4.

Which method do you think is better? Obviously we'll have a seam on the middle of the rear, but that's nothing dramatic. With the number of hose fittings built into these moulds, I don't think demoulding will be an issue.

Have you got any ideas for a colour scheme and is this going to be for trundling about in or as a static prop? If you're going to take it to events, make sure you make that fender really strong - kids just love standing on that bit and trying to climb up the hemis.

With the NSD there's only the bronze, black or Ironside (WWII olive green) options, really. Thanks for the fender/hemis advice. The fender mould has provision to be moulded as a full D section with undercut lip and will be pretty strong mechanically. With a good thickness of glass it'll really be a brute.

Now I understand why Danny was moulding his hemis in glass, by the way. I'd considered moulding them in urethane, but you're right. Kids will climb on them.

Have fun with your build.

Already am! :)

Ya gotta love those sincere boyish smiles! :thumbsup

Ha! We're old men, us. I've got grey hair, Doug's got none. :lol

I need to turn in my card though, I thought you were talking about this "supreme being" from Time Bandits.

There is on-ly ONE su-preme race! Re-port for ex-ter-min-ation! :lol

I still have no idea what this is.....

It's a pic of the Supreme Being from Time Bandits. Sheesh. :lol

I can't speak for the other guy's but i am thinking 2 x gold/bronze 1x black and either one davros or the army green version, can't remember his name....i need more coffee. also looking into static and RC. the static ones will have motion sensors with a sound chip / lights etc.

Just one for me. Man, if you want to pull that many you're doing it at YOUR place, lol! Seriously, these things are HUGE. My wife would kill me. :) Come over on Saturday and take a look. You too Muzza.

Martyn I can be there after 12.00 as I have model classes at Stanbridges in the morning.

Do you have the gun detail?

I should be there about 1 . Looking forward to gettin started. Muzza I never realized you wanted to be a model.... Good luck with that!:lol

Holy cow, dude, that might be overkill! We already have 30L of resin as it is, don't forget. We could always make our own gelcoat out of some of it I guess (mix with bondo to whatever consistency is desired - that's always fun).

I also got a bag of talc for mixing the gelcoat.

Martyn I can be there after 12.00 as I have model classes at Stanbridges in the morning.
Do you have the gun detail?

Cool bananas - see you then. No gun detail - it is built up - however I just picked up all the neck strake masters from Danny...all 18 of them! I also grabbed some silicone and clay and fastcast, so I'll mould up the strakes and make a couple of sets for him first off.

He can't recall the square metreage of glass required. He uses three layers of the same weight of glass.

Unfortunately the neck rings are OSD not NSD. I'll check them tonight and see whether they can be adapted. Don't know the differences well enough offhand; time to drag out the drawings.

I should be there about 1 . Looking forward to gettin started.

Great!

I also got a bag of talc for mixing the gelcoat.

Double great! I'll try to get the head mould cleaned up tonight, as it looks like the best place to kick off. Has some resin overspray in the front half.

Hey Wes, sorry just meant my geek card in general.

Eh, you're not alone. I mentioned the Dalek to a young friend the other day. She hadn't even heard of them, and has never watched Doctor Who. I feel so old. :lol

Sound like we will be starting some lay up's tomorrow, it looks like it is comming together.

Why not, eh? I'll grab some nuts and bolts for the moulds tomorrow morning from Bunnings, and I have a bit of glass mat in hand already as part of the stash. If I can get the head mould cleaned up tonight that might be a good place to start. Otherwise the bumps would be best as several of those moulds are already gelcoated.

The torso and skirt moulds will still need a bit of work before they're usable. The glass pieces are in great shape but the MDF inserts which form the undercuts are in need of repainting and resealing. Eh, that's probably doable tomorrow too, though, to be honest. Not a big job at all.

Re: supreme...be-ing...of...thaaa...UU...NIII...VERSSSE!!!! (NS Dalek builds, x 7)

Hey Muzza and JM, thanks for your time yesterday. I got the MDF skirt inserts painted up last night - they need some further sealing and another coat of black but they're looking pretty close to ready. Still haven't got all that muck out of the head mould, might be a job for one of you on Saturday! :p

Spent tonight setting up the first mould for the strakes. It ate 2.5kg of silicone, and that's for the first half only, so one full 5kg kit is required to mould 3 strakes...and as they're all individual, we'll need four moulds of this size, at $250 per mould. Ouch!!! No wonder Danny hadn't tackled them yet. I might try going with thixotrope for the others. Pics tomorrow if the first piece turns out well.

Re: supreme...be-ing...of...thaaa...UU...NIII...VERSSSE!!!! (NS Dalek builds, x 7)

Nice to see it on it's way. I like the change in the title "x7". I think I may have to see someone about this problem of mine. I just can't seem to have one of something. If there was more than 1 on screen I must have more than one. Dammit they had seven x-wings and so have I. Stormtroopers......ha! And Daleks.......well soon the whole world will be mine.......Brooha ha haaaa!!!

Anyhoo....... I also found some eurathane resin for the strakes . I can drop it off if you need it sooner. Also the PVA is going to need some layers so if you like I can bring that around sooner as well. Typical we need water soluble release and after nine months without rain.........voilà. As if on que.

Hey, cool, thanks! Yes please - I have three litres in hand but I will be temporarily consuming all the urethane in the world to cast those things. :) Shouldn't need it this week, it'll definitely take me at least another week to get these moulds done. By all means drop it off if you like, though, and the PVA and I'll try to get some layers done.

The first slat mould half came out perfectly. It'll need rigid backing, but the blue stuff got right into all my registration holes, even the ones I didn't have time to dribble silicone into during the pour, no bubbles. This Barnes stuff sets a good bit faster than the Rhone-Poulenc I used to use too. I think I MIGHT get away with three 5kg kits, since the next half doesn't need to be as thick. It's just going to be the front faces, the body of the slats is in the first half.

That said, I'm going to need more to redo the arm box details, and ditto the bases for the hemispheres. It's a DAF oil seal apparently, so we should be able to track one down.

I'm going to ditch the arm-box front detail and redo it. It should be a 3mm base and a 3mm overlay, but the existing one is more like 5mm base and 1.5mm overlay.

I'm thinking I'll mould up the light cage too once we have one, either as parts or as a complete assembly. And the machined gun pieces unless it's simple enough to make a dozen metal ones - Muzz?

Someone dropped off two neatly bound copies of the Project Dalek NSD plans in my letterbox this afternoon, lol! Was that you, Simon? If not it'd have been Shane I guess - he's also starting work independently on a Shawcraft MkIII - coincidence or what?! So I've promised him the 'first stage' head mould, which is pretty close to what he needs. Neat if it can still be of use.

I'm conscious that this is becoming more of a local conversation than a build thread. So, mould pics....nothing special, but at least it's a start...right? :)

Martyn I was the postman today.
I have spoken to my machining mate of mine who will do all the machining for us if he can get a the glass pieces to make his own.
he can make:
1. The eye
2. The eye stalk
3. The gun
4. The 100mm Ball for the gun
5. The 100mm Ball for the plunger
6. The rings for the lights on the head
And maybe any other machining we may need.

DAF oil seal Hmmmm, well trucks are my department I will have a look tomorrow at Kenworth.

Would you mould the slats in silicone? I might have some.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back