stormtrooper armor build (pepakura)- first time costume build (pic heavy)

Looking brilliant and your glassing already. I'm green with envy lol. Have myself a copy of Blaxmyths files so i'm going to remake some of my pieces.
Keep it up ( i want to see how mines gonna turn out :D)

Kashyyyk: I was thinking something along the lines of foam padding for the inside of the helmet. I was planning on using some kind of rubber strip for the brow though.
Blaxmyth: Thank you very much! Hot glue works pretty well except for the stringy bits that you have to tear off.
Professer Steve: thank you too! unfortunately at the moment I cant glass because I need to get new fiberglass but I can't wait to start again. Working on the helmet helped the wait.

Pep files are pretty hard to use for armor. I must say though, you're doing a pretty bang-up job at it. I used wire for some of the edges to strengthen it. I also fiberglassed the inside of the forms, but for a different purpose. At some point, you'll have to bondo (or whatever the equvalent is where you live) to smooth out the outside of the molds/forms, so I wouldn't build up the fiberglass too much on the inside. Fiberglass is somewhat hard to work with to get smooth if you use it on the outside. And I fear that your armor will weigh a ton, compared to ABS. Not to mention, will end up running about the same price. You'll also want to keep it as porpotionate as possible, otherwise it will look a little wierd. My biggest challenge was to get the piece I built to match the size of the other things I made.

The bucket is looking really cool. You might concider buying a ABS helmet, because the fiberglass might be a bit heavy over time, sitting on your head. Foam padding will help, but I can't help but wonder what that much weight will do sitting on your head/neck for extended periods of time.

Good luck with the rest of your build!

Good news everyone: I finally got my hands on some epoxy resin so I'll be able to do some pepakura indoors!

CIMG5583.JPG

Hopefully I'll get started using it tomorrow or maybe Friday. Can't wait!

Here are some long due updates:
I started working with the epoxy resin and it is way better than the fiberglass resin! It doesn't have an odor and I believe it is less toxic which is good. Also it doesn't shrink when it cures so the pieces don't warp very much. Also it is much cleaner and doesn't clump together like the fiberglass resin. I would definitely recommend it.

CIMG5584.JPGCIMG5585.JPGCIMG5586.JPG
Here are the shoulders. I completely finished fiberglassing these (1 coat inside, 1 coat outside, fiberglass cloth). I thought about starting bondo on these but I'm holding off until i finish more pieces.

CIMG5587.JPGCIMG5588.JPG
Here are part of the forearms. I did the outside coat with polyester resin a while back and recently did the inside with epoxy resin. They are kinda malformed so I need to reshape them a little bit.

CIMG5590.JPGCIMG5591.JPG
I am rebuilding the biceps because after trying them on i found out that they were smaller than I thought. Here is a size comparison.

CIMG5593.JPGCIMG5592.JPGCIMG5594.JPG
Here is the butt plate. I put a coat of fiberglass on the inside and outside but haven't put the cloth on yet.

Hopefully I will be able to keep updating quicker next time. Sorry it took so long this time.

-ewok18

Got a little more progress to show you guys:

CIMG5596.JPG

I got the other bicep finished

CIMG5595.JPG

Also, I added some details to the ab/cod plate so it looks closer to the actual armor.

Things that still need to be re-pepped: Chest plate, Thighs, Handplates
Things ready to be resined: biceps, outside of forearms, ab/cod plate, back plate, helmet

Looking forward to getting some progress done this weekend!

-Ewok18

Woow really nice work

Im thinking to make the armor before i finish my helmet...

If its very cold outside for resin you just need to add more cobalto and more peroxide to resin

Lets say if you are making 250 cc of resin normaly you add 10 ml of cobalto(hardener) and 5 of peroxidum you can put 15 ml and 10 when time is cold.....

Sorry my inglish its so basic

Can I ask for the helmet pep files if it's as simple to print it in a home printer in it's default A4 format?

Thankyou
Gus

Hey guys,
I don't have any pictures right now although I did resin the inside and outside of the new chest, back and cod plates and I plan to do more resining today. As for files, (kirby + zzgus) if the files don't work then I would try just websearching it and you may be able to find something eventually. However for the helmet I found a slightly different version that may work:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/spacecowboy-stormtrooper-pepakura-helmet-update-205889/

I've never downloaded it but it looks like a good file. Best of luck everyone,

-Ewok18

I have the file but I would like to know if you print on a default home printer with a normal A4 paper?

Thankyou
Gus

I would print on a heavier cardstock paper but you I think you can print it with normal A4 paper. Just make sure that in pepakura go to file and then print and paper settings to make sure it is set to A4

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back