stormtrooper armor build (pepakura)- first time costume build (pic heavy)

Yep, looks good. The only things I'd add would be paper cups for mixing, hot dog sticks for stirring, and acetone for washing the brushes if you plan to reuse them. Respirator looks good!

Good luck, have fun, and come back with plenty of pics!

I have cups and Popsicle sticks however i dont have acetone. I didnt know you could reuse the brushes after they have resin on them. Is it possible to clean them with paint thinner?

Sorry, no, it's acetone that's the only solvent I know off. Petrol doesn't work, that I do know...

I went through a ton of disposable chip brushes, though, so they're as good a way as any to start off with.

I have cups and Popsicle sticks however i dont have acetone. I didnt know you could reuse the brushes after they have resin on them. Is it possible to clean them with paint thinner?

"Acetone" is "nail polish remover". You should be able to find it anywhere.

Yeah, but nail polish remover is pretty expensive and I think there's an oil component in it which might not help. Most larger hardware stores carry it in the paint section. It's about NZ$19 a litre where I am, and I'd only use about 50 or 60 ml to clean a chip brush.

Hey guys! I'm here with an update, I worked on my project last week but I've been too busy this week because school started for me. So I wanted to show you I got done last week. Tell me what you think:

Chest:
IMGA8195.JPGIMGA8196.JPGIMGA8197.JPGIMGA8198.JPG

This turned out pretty nice, the place where the shoulder straps aren't very even and it it curves in a little too abruptly. I tried heating it up with a blow dryer and then bending some of the warped parts back and that worked ok.

Shoulders:
IMGA8200.JPGIMGA8201.JPGIMGA8202.JPGIMGA8203.JPG

These didn't turn out as well (other one not pictured). They turned out very warped and when I try to fix them with the blow dryer I could get them to stay in the right position but when I left and came back they would bend again. I'm thinking I might need to use a clamp or something to brace it.

More updates:

IMGA8216.JPG

Here are the chest and shoulders again. I cut off the jagged edges and sanded them down. Now it is possible to wear them without getting stabbed. However I think after trying on the shoulders a little bit, they seem to be too small. As a result I'm going to re-pep them and see if they fit better before fiberglassing. This may not be so bad though because I know how to brace them better before I fiberglass them.

IMGA8204.JPGIMGA8205.JPGIMGA8206.JPGIMGA8207.JPG

Next up I have my bicep pieces. I reinforced these with green paddle wire. This worked EXTREMELY well. Before they would not hold their shape at all but this reinforcement has been awesome.

IMGA8209.JPGIMGA8210.JPGIMGA8211.JPGIMGA8212.JPGIMGA8213.JPGIMGA8214.JPGIMGA8215.JPG

These are the forearm pieces. I got all of these reinforced too. very helpful.

I don't have pictures yet but I did resin the outside of the bicep pieces. I hopefully will have more updates by tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMGA8208.JPG
    IMGA8208.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
very cool! great pep, and good progress so far, I've thought about doing a trooper this way, but its very time consuming.

Thanks Zacic, it is indeed very time consuming but if you have nothing to do for summer it makes for a great project!

IMGA8217.JPG

Here are the bicep pieces that I was talking about. I resined the outside and they look pretty good. Cant wait to do the inside!

Ok, So I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought I made the shoulders too small. I built another shoulder that I think might fit a little better.

IMGA8225.JPGIMGA8226.JPGIMGA8227.JPG

Here are some size comparison pictures of the old shoulder and new shoulder I made. It looks a little big but that is also what I thought when I made the first one.

Shoulder Bells 2.jpgShoulder Bells.jpg

Also, Here are some comparisons of actual shoulder bells and the ones I made. I may consider trimming my shoulder bells so they look more like the actual ones. The picture on the left shows my what the shoulder bells would look like if I trimmed them.

Hey guys, Im here with another update, I know it has been a while (a month) but I have been working on it. Here is the progress that I've made:

IMGA8229.JPG IMGA8235.JPG IMGA8236.JPG IMGA8237.JPG IMGA8238.JPG IMGA8239.JPG

Here are the biceps. I cut and sanded the edges, then glued them together. I just need to do a little more sanding and It will be ready for filler.

IMGA8230.JPG IMGA8231.JPG IMGA8232.JPG IMGA8233.JPG IMGA8234.JPG

This was an unfortunate accident. My cat pushed some boxes onto the new shoulder I made and the butt/kidney plate. So, I built a 2 new shoulders of the same size and I'm currently working on a new butt/kidney plate.

Hello everybody, I've been doing a little bit of work on my project so here are some pictures of what I've done for the last month:

IMGA8255.JPGIMGA8256.JPG

I finished remaking the butt/kidney plate. It's ok but I will probably need to add dowel rods so it will keep its form.

IMGA8257.JPGIMGA8258.JPGIMGA8259.JPGIMGA8260.JPGIMGA8261.JPG

I also started a pep for the helmet and it was ok, but too big so I had to remake it

IMGA8262.JPGIMGA8263.JPGIMGA8264.JPGIMGA8265.JPGIMGA8266.JPG

Here is the second helmet that I started to build. The scale seems a lot better and the last picture is a size comparison of the two.

I live in the midwest and it is getting pretty cold so fiberglassing outside is not really an option. I can't use the resin inside because it's too toxic. Does anyone have any suggestions on less toxic resin that I could use in my garage?

Hey, nice work!

Just a heads up before you start fibreglassing the butt/kidney plate. Make the whole backside piece as thick and solid as you can get it! My first one was quite solid and I thought I'd be able to sit down on it, but it cracked, causing some delamination. My next one is going to be much thicker and I'll layer all of the fibreglass mat in one long session to make it really strong.

After six hours of trooping, standing the whole time, you'll long to take the weight off your feet, even for a few minutes!

Just for what it's worth.

Keep the photos coming, too. They are excellent.

Will poly resin work just as well with fiberglass matte or do you just apply a base coat of poly resin and then do your fiberglass with fiberglassing resin?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think it doesn't matter...

I have used my epoxy resin for the reinforcement of the paper an also for the fiberglass.

Worked well !

Thanks for the advice Blaxmyth, I'll make sure that I reinforce the butt/kidney plate. Also, thank you toxx, I will definitely look into epoxy resin.

This is looking really good! I haven't been able to find any links to the files that you used. Could you possibly provide them for me?

rlwolf: thank you very much, for pepakura files I got the helmet from this

ANH_Hero_TK_helmet_unfold_by_Fierfek - ?? - 4shared

As for the armor, I got those files from dungbeetle, although I'm not sure which forum of his I found them on and I don't know whether or not he is still letting people use his files. I would suggest looking for those files online and if you can't find them then you could always try fierfek's files for armor because those are good too.

Feledran: thanks a lot to you too! So far the wire has worked great and surprisingly it sticks to the glue pretty well.

I also finished the helmet! here it is:

IMGA8267.JPGIMGA8268.JPGIMGA8269.JPGIMGA8270.JPG

Here are some other close-ups:

IMGA8271.JPGIMGA8272.JPGIMGA8273.JPGIMGA8274.JPG

The second and pictures show the second brow. On the original file it has the rubber brow built in. Seeing as I want to make the rubber trim out of actual rubber I tried to modify the helmet so the dome connected seamlessly to the first brow. However the dome was slightly larger so it warped when I tried to glue it together. Instead I had to make another brow which is where the rubber trim will go.
Finally the last picture shows reinforcements that I put in the mouth area. Hope you guys enjoy!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back