StarWarsHelmets RS Prop Masters ANH/ESB Stormtrooper Helmet and Armour Review

Very cool.

I always "wanted" a TK armor but always figured I'd just get a helmet. After seeing this, I don't think just a helmet will be enough lol.

I just got an RS "Move Along" Sandtrooper and I LOVE IT! Here's a pic.
IMG_6645.jpg

I still look forward to the day that Voice in the Crowd clears space in his garage for us to assemble ours! ;)

Nice review, Jez :)

The StarWarsHelmets.com RS ST helmet is one of the big reasons I cancelled my Anovos ST helmet order today. The Anovos looks like a great helmet, but really, it just feels too polished for me. I respect what they're doing, and I know a lot of people are going to LOVE this gear. My neighbor as their full armor kit on order, and he's all kinds of giddy. I'm glad there are choices out there, as everyone has different tastes.

So now that I've settled on the RS ST stunt helmet, I'm stuck on the material. Do I go for the ABS or the PVC. I wish the StarWarsHelmets.com article/post would have discussed and showcased the differences between these two materials. As it is, I'm now left to fighting with my imagination. LOL

Do I go for the original ABS, making this helmet as close to a first generation direct descendant from the original movie, or go with the PVC, which seems to be a bit more durable and may not discolor over time. ...will I even care if the ABS version discolors a bit? I hate making these kinds of decisions. GAH!

The StarWarsHelmets.com RS ST helmet is one of the big reasons I cancelled my Anovos ST helmet order today. The Anovos looks like a great helmet, but really, it just feels too polished for me. I respect what they're doing, and I know a lot of people are going to LOVE this gear. My neighbor as their full armor kit on order, and he's all kinds of giddy. I'm glad there are choices out there, as everyone has different tastes.

So now that I've settled on the RS ST stunt helmet, I'm stuck on the material. Do I go for the ABS or the PVC. I wish the StarWarsHelmets.com article/post would have discussed and showcased the differences between these two materials. As it is, I'm now left to fighting with my imagination. LOL

Do I go for the original ABS, making this helmet as close to a first generation direct descendant from the original movie, or go with the PVC, which seems to be a bit more durable and may not discolor over time. ...will I even care if the ABS version discolors a bit? I hate making these kinds of decisions. GAH!

For the helmet, it will be painted anyway so outward appearance won't matter as much. The originals were HDPE, neither ABS or PVC also, so that doesn't matter either :lol I got ABS, can't remember why though... haha

For the helmet, it will be painted anyway so outward appearance won't matter as much. The originals were HDPE, neither ABS or PVC also, so that doesn't matter either :lol I got ABS, can't remember why though... haha

Good, at least my agonizing indecision won't matter then. LOL

I have a RS made of HDPE and one of ABS. No PVC here. Personally I'd advise you to go ABS - there are a few threads on FISD about ABS vs PVC if you want to read more

Wait. Are you sure helmet will be painted? From what I've seen, the helmets haven't been painted...

I can say this about ABS vs PVC. I, too, was struggling with the decision of which plastic to use. TrooperMaster sent me a sample of the ABS and PVC. I could fold the ABS back over itself over and over again without it snapping. Couldn't do that with PVC. No doubt, PVC is tough stuff, but it cannot tolerate too much bending, it will snap.

ABS is what the original suits were made from, just go with that.

Wait. Are you sure helmet will be painted? From what I've seen, the helmets haven't been painted...

All the ANH (apart from the few hero helmets) and those reused for ESB (so all apart from 1 it's thought) had greenish khaki HDPE helmets painted white

RS doesn't paint their helmets, other than the detailing.

I'm pretty sure they do, if not, then they should. It doesn't make it accurate if RS does it or not :lol

And if you don't paint it, you will get light shining through the plastic. It is only 1.5mm IIRC. My lamp shines through my WIP one atm

I'm pretty sure they do, if not, then they should. It doesn't make it accurate if RS does it or not :lol

And if you don't paint it, you will get light shining through the plastic. It is only 1.5mm IIRC. My lamp shines through my WIP one atm

From Andrea at RS "the whole helmet isn't painted just the teeth and mouth."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you guys are confusing yourselves.RS paints their green HDPE/Poly helmets white if you can still get one. They don't paint their ABS/PVC helmets apart from their detailing as the helmets are already white. Hero helmets in ANH are non painted white ABS. Just like RS'S normal stunt helmets. All Armor in ANH was mainly 1.5mm ABS apart from some parts being thinner.

Ben

I think you guys are confusing yourselves.RS paints their green HDPE/Poly helmets white if you can still get one. They don't paint their ABS/PVC helmets apart from their detailing as the helmets are already white. Hero helmets in ANH are non painted white ABS. Just like RS'S normal stunt helmets. All Armor in ANH was mainly 1.5mm ABS apart from some parts being thinner.

Ben

Yep, I have one of the "green" ones, and it matches the screen used ones perfectly. The plastic under the chipped paint looks exactly like an original helmet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back