STARLOG

blip

Sr Member
4913-sl2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Movies, were you hooked in by STARLOG?

ill never forget the first article in starlog that talked about robocop had a picture of ed-209 behind the director (paul) and i always thought ed was robocop, when the guy in the suit showed up i was like wtf!

Bought them for years starting at issue one. I still have some early issues for sentimental reasons. That was the way to get genre news man, and a few others later.

It used to be how I kept track of local Star Trek conventions! :lol

I also bought my first working replica lightsabre through an ad in the back.

I have about 30 issues (I think) from about 1984 to 1995.

Kevin

I bougt it from 87 till about 98. A couple years back, a friend of mine sold me his collection, so I have almost every issue from 1 till about the time I stopped buying. I'm determined to read all the old SW info.

I still have all my starlogs, starting with issue # 1. I would have to say issue one was my most memorable. It got me hooked. This Island Earth was on the cover.

Have most issues from the start through the early 90s. Subscribed for a while. Definitely needed my STARLOG fix in those days!

I think I started w/#two? Had Kirk & Spock on the cover I think..Now I'll have to go check..
I have very fond memories of Starlog & Cinefantastique. They got me completely hooked on fandom. I was most of the way there anyway, but I saw an ad for my first con in there. 'Atlanta Fantasy Faire' and saw photos of costumers at the early cons! I had no idea there was such a thing!

Issue one had Kirk and Spock on the cover. This Island Earth was on the cover of issue fifteen.

Starlog was a big reason I am such a fan of science-fiction, horror, and fantasy films.

I still have dozens of issues and was always impressed by the journalism and quality of interviews- there's nothing like it around now. I also remember it having the first picture of Michael Keaton in the Batsuit, it was in a shop window opened on that page and stopped me in my tracks...

It was the only way to get your fix back in the day.

I still have the first 10 years of it.

I remember freaking out when I saw issue one (which if I remember correctly had Kirk Spock and some strange black hole looking thing on it) come out. It was the first time I realized that I was not the only one interested in such things. Great memories.

Ah, good ol' Starlog. This may be hard to believe but back when I was a young lad we didn't have an "internet" so Starlog was always there to let you know just what you need to go see. I loved it as a kid. Had some great pics and info on what was to become some of my favorite films and t.v. shows.
StarlogNo27Oct.jpg

Back in the 70's, my cousin bought them all and passed them on to me. I still have them. Hooked? Oh my, YES! I was absolutely bitten by the bug. I couldn't get enough behind-the-scenes info on model-making and special effects. Starlog (and later, Fangoria) became ridiculously important to me in my formative years. I never got to make special effects or model-making to be my life's work, but the dream never dies. Starlog was wonderful and made me feel like I always had the "inside scoop" on all things sci-fi.

Star Wars from Starlog...

Don't fall Obi you might break your hip!
Scan0001.jpg

Great pre-production art.
Scan0005.jpg

Totally accurate!
Scan0002.jpg

Starlog was the internet for us Sci-Fi freaks of the day. News , conventions and just bad-ass images. I remember getting it ,as well as, Bantha Tracks. I must also throw in Fangoria too.

-James

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back