Starfighter Game Cabinet

I plan to modify this HAPP Control for the right T control on the Game.

I plan to use the same self centering joystick for both controls, but the button will be separately operated so it can be either on top of the pistol grip or the t-grip.

As for the rockers, I found some double throw rockers normally open to wire so they work either way you push them. I don't plan to illuminate them.

Last edited:
The ones in the film were Illuminated, that's why I was looking for that style,
even though the ones on Doc's cabinet were different.
I think the type of switch a person would want would be the momentary contact style.
These seem to auto center and only activate when pressed, as opposed to
being on or off all the time.

The ones in the film were Illuminated, that's why I was looking for that style,
even though the ones on Doc's cabinet were different.
I think the type of switch a person would want would be the momentary contact style.
These seem to auto center and only activate when pressed, as opposed to being on or off all the time.

Agreed on Normally Open, forgot to mention that.

I don't recall seeing the switches illuminated in the movie. ?

This is the best I can do off a standard DVD.

You can hear the clicking of button presses in the film, but that may be
foley. Lance does push the buttons a lot when he's shown playing the game.

The first 2 pics are the cabinet, the last is the same/similar buttons in the gunstar cockpit where he says "Hey, it's just like the game back home."

buttons1.jpg

buttons2.jpg

buttons3.jpg

By the way, I talked to Doc last night and got a little more background on the drawings on his site. I'm going to compare my detailed measurements of his cabinet to the drawings Justin Sweet made since they are very detailed. (anybody know how to get hold of him?)

I have imported his drawing into Corel Draw and will update any dimensions / angles that I found to be different unless I hear from him and he wants to do it.

One thing I recall that I decided to not replicate was what appeared to be just bad construction, ie, when an obvious right angle ended up 91 degrees, when the only explanation would be that they just slapped it together, rather than intending it to be off square by one degree.

The first pictur I believe is in the beginning when Alex is playing the game.

The second is when Marc Alamio(sp) the zandozan(again sp) assassin is approaching the cabinet after Centauri returns him to earth.

The final image is when Alex first enters his Gunstar and is getting the tutorial.

I was s reen capping with an old version of power dvd. :)

Russ

The first pictur I believe is in the beginning when Alex is playing the game.

The second is when Marc Alamio(sp) the zandozan(again sp) assassin is approaching the cabinet after Centauri returns him to earth.

The final image is when Alex first enters his Gunstar and is getting the tutorial.

I was s reen capping with an old version of power dvd. :)

Russ

thanks. I have powerdvd and the hd disc so should be able to get good screen caps.

First picture was taken with 4x magnification at 5:11 which accounts for a lot of the pixelization.

Second picture was at appx. 47:29

Third picture was at appx. 59:31 He activates the switch (looks like a single pole, single throw illuminated when on) in this scene.

Hope that helps!

Also, sorry about the English abuse. My "smart phone" sometimes doesn't register button hits when posting on forums, hence the missing letter syndrome. :)

Russ

Well, I forgot powerdvd removes the screen capture function in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies. I took some pics of the screen with my camera and agree it's an illuminated button, and its color looks to be the same as in the starfighter ship. Nice call on that. Have you found a momentary rocker that matches it? If not, I'll start looking.

Also, I have been going over the justin sweet drawings. As I long ago mentioned to starfighter66, the side panel was off on his cabinet (missing the bottom 3" overhang. I found sweet's drawing to include that, but the overall height is incorrect by 3" too high, which throws everything off. I will probably continue with the drawings so we'll end up with a complete set.

starfighter-switch1.jpg

starfighter-switch2.jpg

starfighter-switch3.jpg

First picture was taken with 4x magnification at 5:11 which accounts for a lot of the pixelization.

Second picture was at appx. 47:29

Third picture was at appx. 59:31 He activates the switch (looks like a single pole, single throw illuminated when on) in this scene.

Hope that helps!

Also, sorry about the English abuse. My "smart phone" sometimes doesn't register button hits when posting on forums, hence the missing letter syndrome. :)

Russ

Last edited:
Well, I forgot powerdvd removes the screen capture function in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies. I took some pics of the screen with my camera and agree it's an illuminated button, and its color looks to be the same as in the starfighter ship. Nice call on that. Have you found a momentary rocker that matches it? If not, I'll start looking.

I "did" find one... but it's on the computer at home. :)

Here's a link to a "regular" one that looks like the right style. Look at the PDF spec sheet and you can specify different rocker styles, illuminated colors and with or without labeling (you'd want them without of course).

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMsqIr59i2oRcortqEmGFdBDOWTeNJXnpY0=

I'm going to keep hunting for a momentary in the right style...

Also, I have been going over the justin sweet drawings. As I long ago mentioned to starfighter66, the side panel was off on his cabinet (missing the bottom 3" overhang. I found sweet's drawing to include that, but the overall height is incorrect by 3" too high, which throws everything off. I will probably continue with the drawings so we'll end up with a complete set.

3" is quite a bit of difference! Good thing I didn't start cutting panels yet. :)

Russ

I "did" find one... but it's on the computer at home. :)

Here's a link to a "regular" one that looks like the right style. Look at the PDF spec sheet and you can specify different rocker styles, illuminated colors and with or without labeling (you'd want them without of course).

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMsqIr59i2oRcortqEmGFdBDOWTeNJXnpY0=

I'm going to keep hunting for a momentary in the right style...

I spent quite a bit of time looking this afternoon, no luck yet either.

So you guys are going to come up with a definitive blueprint now right? I think this is going to be my summer project.

Either way, thanks for posting all of your findings. I loved this movie as a kid.

Gregg

I am in fact working on new drawings from my measurements and build I've done already. I spoke to Gary Weaver today, who I'm building a second cabinet for (he's helping), and he said he'd be up for making final drawings in Autocad. So yeah, I think we'll end up with a very good set. It won't necessarily be a construction set, but rather it will show all the edges and many of the pieces, and all necessary dimensions.

You'll all be happy to hear that Doc has ok'd my casting the cabinet joystick controls. I'm preparing the finish pieces for molding and will cast in black onyx urethane.

I wonder how hard it would be to protoype them with hollow interiors and plug & play locations for buttons. That way you'd be able to bolt them togeather. That's what I was planning on anyhow. :)

Looking forward to seeing these!

Russ

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back