Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

He was holding his own blaster when he asked to borrow chewie's.

There was nothing to indicate that it had been upgraded. (Other than a subsequent interview)

It was a contrived joke.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Han fired it earlier, on the freighter after Chewie was hit, and seemed surprised by how powerful it was. That's why he asked to try it again later.

Could be two totally different sets for different things. The film it outside and change up some things with CG to change the locations if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the bowcaster Han fired it the first time in the movie when Chewie got shot in the arm so he held it for him and when he shot it he went, "Wow!" impressed seeing what it did that time.

The top modern looking area looks very Jedi Temple like, particularly the floor outside (or inside?). Maybe not, but the pattern looks similar to some of the Prequel Temple designs.

No it wasn't. If the fact it can now hit enemies with enough force to send them flying (when it couldn't in the OT) doesn't make it incredibly obvious it was upgraded, I don't know what would. For all we know, the events with the rathtars was the first time Han had seen it fire since being upgraded, hence the surprise.

He was holding his own blaster when he asked to borrow chewie's.

There was nothing to indicate that it had been upgraded. (Other than a subsequent interview)

It was a contrived joke.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

People complain about things being explained too much, then when you don't explain it was upgraded, some gripe about that too. I remember JJ saying he wanted to do more exposition in places and Lawrence Kasdan said, "You don't need that, trust the audience."

That's a pretty important looking tree.

I know Tolkienians will probably get grouchy if it's the case, but the Shattered Empire comic miniseries had Luke infiltrating an Imperial research facility to reclaim the only two surviving cuttings of the big trtee we saw in the Jedi Temple in the prequels. He took one with to plant at his new academy, and gave the other to Poe's mom to take with since she and her husband were retiring from the Rebellion to settle down and raise their son. Luke wanted it to be planted someplace where that kind of loving atmosphere would be around it.

At any rate... If this is Luke's academy (in flashback? a new one?), it might be that tree. Or, if it's some part of the ruins we see at the end of TFA, it might be the tree the one in the prequel Jedi Temple came from...

As I said, I san see LOTR fans shouting that it's just ripping off the White Tree. But we'll see...

--Jonah

Whats up with one of the nacelles though, it looks like they put it in upside down or something.

That top set looks like something on Corusant. I wonder if the fact that the FO attacked and destroyed the New Republic (which had moved to a new planet )was simply a scripting slight of hand to spare Corusant for the future episodes, given the history of that planet in the SW universe. When in TFA the NR planet was first destroyed I assumed it was Corusant , which had always been the seat of power and its architecture looked so similar, at least until I learned differently. Afterall JJ wiped out Vulcan in ST .
I had also assumed that the New Republic would reform the Senate as it had been previously on Corusant and couldn't really figure out why it had been moved. But, if it turns out there are a lot of essential things to happen plotwise including the old Jedi council building and otherwise on Corusant ,sparing it by wiping out another ruling planet makes sense and it could be very much more interesting. Certainly if Corusant itelf has declined economically because the NR moved from there and it was no longer a seat of power and trade ,then it would be a much more interesting place to visit. Perhaps Snoke has moved back there (or has never left) But that's all speculation on my part. Certainly the island is looking very interesting.

Whats up with one of the nacelles though, it looks like they put it in upside down or something.

I am hoping that Rey (or chewie) have "reconfigured "or "retuned" the Falcons engines so its signature can no longer be tracked. Its the obvious solution to everybody being able to track the ship anywhere in the universe. Its such a quick fix for one of the biggest issues I have with the TFA.

That top set looks like something on Corusant. I wonder if the fact that the FO attacked and destroyed the New Republic (which had moved to a new planet )was simply a scripting slight of hand to spare Corusant for the future episodes, given the history of that planet in the SW universe. When in TFA the NR planet was first destroyed I assumed it was Corusant , which had always been the seat of power and its architecture looked so similar, at least until I learned differently. Afterall JJ wiped out Vulcan in ST .
I had also assumed that the New Republic would reform the Senate as it had been previously on Corusant and couldn't really figure out why it had been moved. But, if it turns out there are a lot of essential things to happen plotwise including the old Jedi council building and otherwise on Corusant ,sparing it by wiping out another ruling planet makes sense and it could be very much more interesting. Certainly if Corusant itelf has declined economically because the NR moved from there and it was no longer a seat of power and trade ,then it would be a much more interesting place to visit. Perhaps Snoke has moved back there (or has never left) But that's all speculation on my part. Certainly the island is looking very interesting.
The Empire still held Coruscant after Endor. The Rebels declared a New Republic and reformed the Senate, but since they couldn't do it on Coruscant they did it on Chandrila, being Mon Mothma's homeworld. We'll find out more about the rotating capitol thing as the new canon develops, I'm willing to bet.

Should there have been some screen time in TFA explaining how things have changed since the last episode, government-wise? Yes. But it's there in the supporting material, without digging hard.

--Jonah

Thanks, good to know. Which still supports the idea that they had to script a different direction for the NR by create a new planet to be destroyed later that was NOT Corusant . Otherwise they could have written it differently ,given that we see the liberation , or rather what we know to be as just celebrations now ,on Corusant at the end of the ROTJ. If the Empire remained there as a last stand, what is it like now, and who remains hidden there? Does the Underworld now have a stronger influence on how Corusant operates at all levels.

Last edited:

The new fiction supports my immediate reaction after seeing the special edition of ROTJ -- right after the camera cuts away from the cheering crowd on Coruscant, the troops roll in and start shooting everone. The Empire remained firmly in control on Coruscant at least until the Battle of Jakku, and we don't know yet what they were allowed to retain after they capitulated, and under what conditions. Might end up being the new canon version of the EU's Imperial Remnant, where they're allowed to keep it and some nearby systems. *shrug*

--Jonah

It actually debuted an episode earlier, in the 5th season finale, so if you only ever watched the show on Cartoon Network you still woulda seen it.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back