Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Aaaannnd the people who don't care for another Star Wars film keep coming back to this thread. And posting no less.Why waste precious time on something your not interested in. Oh that's right,deep down you are interested. Your just too proud to admit it. Personally I don't bother even opening a thread I'm not interested in. :)

Ben

STAR WARS is a wonderful universe for a childs imagination, it's timeless and therefore should be perpetuated with new content for new generations.

For all the hype he gets, I have been mightily unimpressed with JJ's direction and production abilities in pretty much everything of his I've seen. Mission Impossible 3 was...meh. Nothing special. Same story with MI4. Trek '09 and Into Darkness were...entertaining, but again, nothing special. I didn't watch LOST, but given how it ended, I don't plan to. I heard similar things about Alias.

Honestly, I'm just not all that impressed with him on the whole. He seems pretty derivative in much of his work, and where he goes for "big ideas" he lacks the wherewithal to execute them effectively.

HOWEVER

From watching Trek, it seems that he is uniquely suited to directing a Star Wars film. I would say that JJ Abrams is about as close to a young George Lucas as we're gonna get. Provided he's surrounded by enough people who will collaborate with him, I think we stand a good chance at getting a good Star Wars film out of him, that will get about as close to capturing the feel of the original trilogy as is possible in this day and age.

If you want to get that feeling again, I think JJ is pretty much the only source for it. He apes Spielberg and Lucas, sure, but he apes them better than just about anyone else, including both of them nowadays. He's not what they were when they were the golden gods of 70s and 80s cinema, but he's as close as we'll get to that long-gone era.

I think the only other person I'd really trust with the franchise would be Joss Whedon. But then I'd spend the movie trying to predict who he was gonna kill, which would be a pointless effort, since he'd probably have an out-of-control cloud car decapitate someone out of the blue rather than give them a hero's death.

I think you hit the nail on the head here - JJ is much better suited for Star Wars and I think he will make it at the very least more entertaining and of a higher quality than the last three movies were. Hell the last two Star Trek movies basically were Star Wars movies so he already has some practice.

As someone who illogically looked forward with hope to the last two prequels only to have my hopes smashed apart by inept storytelling you would think I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in going through it all again but I have to admit I am slightly excited to go see episode VII/

You're very welcome, Brent. :)

And thank you for your continued blind devotion to a director like Abrams. I'm sure his films are just as important to the advancement of cinema like Michael Bay and Uwe Boll. :)

Ok I'll give you the Bay comment, but bringing Uwe Boll into this was a hit below the belt! :lol ;)

The way a friend of mines describes JJ is that he has creative ADD, he gets all hopped up on an idea, starts working on it for a while but then starts to lose interest as another idea hits, he then leaves the current project for others to finish while he moves on to his next project. You then rinse and repeat as he starts but never finishes any number of projects or, in the case of movies, loses steam and creative interest. It really makes a lot of sense when you look at just how many projects JJ seems to have going at any one time, at any one time he seems to be working on or at least overseeing 2 or 3 different TV shows, writing/directing a movie, and doing pre-production work for another movie.

That ABSOLUTELY shows in his work. My sense is that JJ, like Lucas before him, is a terrific idea-man. But he needs constraints on him to force him to produce his best work, and he needs a rock-friggin-solid team of people around him with which to collaborate, and who can bring his idea to life. I think he's probably better suited to film than to television, frankly. I hope he has a really good team with him on this one. He needs someone to be his Gary Kurtz, to keep him focused and on point.

What does "apes" mean?

Monkey see, monkey do, he copies them.

This. Copies, but not as well as the original.

I think you hit the nail on the head here - JJ is much better suited for Star Wars and I think he will make it at the very least more entertaining and of a higher quality than the last three movies were. Hell the last two Star Trek movies basically were Star Wars movies so he already has some practice.

As someone who illogically looked forward with hope to the last two prequels only to have my hopes smashed apart by inept storytelling you would think I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in going through it all again but I have to admit I am slightly excited to go see episode VII/

Yeah, my sense of the recent Trek movies was that they "felt" more like a Star Wars movie (and a damnsight better than the prequels). I think he's up to the task, as long as people can keep him on track. Having guys like Kasdan around can help a lot, and my sense is that JJ -- unlike Lucas -- is more about collaboration and less about "They're MY stories." And, after all, this really isn't HIS story. It's someone else's universe, in which he gets to play.

My basic view is this: nothing will EVER be what Star Wars and Empire (and arguably Jedi) were to those of us who fell in love with them when they first came out. Or even if you fell in love with them years after the fact. That time is passed. The people who made those movies no longer exist. That style of movie-making doesn't exist either. It can't be recaptured.

BUT, of anyone who's stuff I've watched in recent years, only JJ Abrams has come close to that. I expect the films will be...entertaining. They won't be transcendental. They probably won't be the kind of films you watch for years and years after the fact. But they'll be decent, and as close a facsimile of days-gone-by as you're like to see in this lifetime.

You never agreed with me on anything when it comes to past discussions, so I'm not surprised about your opinion of me. If having no hope for another SW film makes me seem to have a "bad attitude", then so be it.

Pretty sure it does. In fact, that's practically a definition of the phrase.

Let me ask you this; what do you think you are contributing to this discussion? Just curious.

Super 8 is probably the closest anyone has gotten to capture the feel & style of an 80's Spielberg movie

J

I've been preaching this since I saw it in the theaters! Say what you want about the story, but you can't deny that this movie was an accurate and honorable tribute to Spielberg. This film came about as close to replicating a past era in film history as the mainstream will allow, and Abrams was very passionate about making it that way. To me, that's a sign that we're headed in the right direction. I've brought this up at least 3 times in this thread alone and always been ignored...

And I've noticed it's quite a coincidence that Super 8 has been mysteriously absent from the recent "look at what a hack JJ is" discussions.

Star Wars Episode VII

Pretty sure it does. In fact, that's practically a definition of the phrase.

Let me ask you this; what do you think you are contributing to this discussion? Just curious.

I'm contributing my concern about how this can be terrible, as there were many other directors more competent than Abrams that could make an excellent SW movie, which in turn is being met with "bitter 'Star Trek' fan" and other insults from Abrams fans who apparently think "because this is Abrams, it's good", when it could seriously be worse than the prequels.

So, here's my question: how is my concerns less valuable in discussion than the typical Abrams fan rant that is heavily posted in this thread?

Last edited:

ANH was pretty creatively ADHD if that's the analogy we're going with. A pastiche of Westerns, samurai movies, and mythology, with a smattering of WWII dogfights for the action. And the wipes, cmon, who uses wipes?!?

I'm contributing my concern about how this can be terrible, as there were many other directors more competent than Abrams that could make an excellent SW movie, which in turn is being met with "bitter 'Star Trek' fan" and other insults from Abrams fans who apparently think "because this is Abrams, it's good", when it could seriously be worse than the prequels.

So, here's my question: how is my concerns less valuable in discussion than the typical Abrams fan rant that is heavily posted in this thread?

They're not necessarily less valuable at all; its the accompanying attitude that I have the problem with. I think many of us would be interested to hear your viewpoints, but so far I've yet to find anything but snarky attacks and Uwe Boll comments. Expressing concern is valid, but straight-up negativity is not.

I'll be the first person to admit I never wanted, nor ever will want, another Star Wars movie. I think it's a silly idea. But since that isn't going to change, I'm trying to be positive about it instead of just focusing on doom and gloom. But whatever.

Star Wars Episode VII

They're not necessarily less valuable at all; its the accompanying attitude that I have the problem with. I think many of us would be interested to hear your viewpoints, but so far I've yet to find anything but snarky attacks and Uwe Boll comments. Expressing concern is valid, but straight-up negativity is not.

I have the tendency to throw the same negativity someone throws me back at them. And when someone acts like a smart ass towards me, then why can't I be allow to be a smart-ass right back at them, showing them the exact behavior they treated me with? I was more than happy to have a reasonable discussion, but when you're treated like the odd man out because you don't agree with the masses and are insulted for having an opinion that others don't agree with, pleasantries go out the window. I honestly didn't want to go there, but there apparently isn't anyone abiding by "equal fairness" when it comes to opinions here.

I'll be the first person to admit I never wanted, nor ever will want, another Star Wars movie. I think it's a silly idea. But since that isn't going to change, I'm trying to be positive about it instead of just focusing on doom and gloom. But whatever.

It's one thing to have hope (and that's not a bad thing). It's another thing to have blind devotion and not even considering the worst case scenario at all. Me, I want to have hope, but Abrams hasn't done anything to give me any. M:I-3 wasn't that impressive to me, but I gave him a chance with ST. Both of them didn't hold up for me as well. Super 8 left me with almost the same question I had with Gus Van Sant's "Psycho": "Why watch a copy of a Spielberg film when I can watch an actual Spielberg film?" But to Abrams fans, if you didn't love his stuff since "Alias", then you're opinion isn't worth the text you type because "he's awesome" and in they're point of view, anything with his name on it is pure gold. To me, his films come off as border-lining on the mediocre, and I've given him multiple chances to make me change my view on his work. Thus far, nothing has jumped out to me as being exceptional like his fans believe him to be.

Trust me, I want to have hope, and if it were anyone other than Abrams, I'd be on board with having a little bit of hope, but I'd still consider the possibility of it sucking. But with Abrams past films, nothing he's directed has given me the same hope as many may have. It could be a good movie, but to not acknowledge the possibility that it could be worse than the prequels because "it's an Abrams movie" is just plain nuts (I can't be the only one who thinks this). And I'm the guy who went to see movies like "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever" and "Dylan Dog", giving them a chance and taking into account that they could suck too (and of course, they did sort of suck). Heck, right now I've been watching episodes of "Babylon 5", a show that never really had my interest when it was on, giving it a chance and I'm still considering the possibility of it taking a wrong turn (so far in Season 1, and having nothing happen in the show to make me want to stop yet). That's how I normally am: hope for the best, prepare for the worse (and when I do hope, I'm gonna need something to give me that little hope first). That's my point of view.

Last edited:

Boyega just twittered: "Fight for what is right - Imperial dreams"

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

all the JJ bashing is somewhat biased as people have their own opinions, right or wrong. In the end it will come out how much JJ stuck to his guns to make a SW movie thats an actual SW movie.

Super 8 is probably the closest anyone has gotten to capture the feel & style of an 80's Spielberg movie

J

I've been preaching this since I saw it in the theaters! Say what you want about the story, but you can't deny that this movie was an accurate and honorable tribute to Spielberg. This film came about as close to replicating a past era in film history as the mainstream will allow, and Abrams was very passionate about making it that way. To me, that's a sign that we're headed in the right direction. I've brought this up at least 3 times in this thread alone and always been ignored...

And I've noticed it's quite a coincidence that Super 8 has been mysteriously absent from the recent "look at what a hack JJ is" discussions.

Sorry Lutso,...& you were right

thats the thing about these threads....most of the time people comment on what they don't agree with :$

Super 8 was a spot on movie

can't wait for JJ's Ep7

J

The fact that you hate him already before youve seen a single shred of his movie proves my above statement.Your predetermined to hate it no matter what.

Ben

What he said, and furthermore, you´re a self-proclaimed movie buff, so how and whatfor can you hate J.J. Abrams, and then even more than GL? If I had to choose who´s the better storyteller, JJ will always win. GL more and more looks like a one-trick-pony to me. He´s a brilliant business man and knows how to assemble a team, but story telling somewhat got lost to him in the last three decades. And it got lost because he´s lost the people who helped him make his rather clunky stories into what we love today.

I have a very warm feeling for the new star wars movies, I am actually interested in it again. It feels "liberated" since Disney took over. I do not think that it was the worst that could happen.

George Lucas himself said he hates writing. Numerous references to that in the Making of Star Wars book. He was always more into visuals

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back