Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

She was fully capable and he was vying for her affection despite being outclassed. He is the underdog! And he plays the part well...

that's one thing that got me...we're USED to seeing fully capable women after 30 years of film history. why should we or he be so shocked she could handle herself well?

that's one thing that got me...we're USED to seeing fully capable women after 30 years of film history. why should we or he be so shocked she could handle herself well?

Fully capable is one thing. Carrying a story is another. Do you think Uhura from JJ Abrams' films had as much relevance to those stories as Rey did in this one? When Uhura beams behind Khan and starts stunning him, it's pretty much just a distraction for Spock to regain his upper hand. When Rey grabs the lightsaber, she is fighting the film's central villain and it's win or die. That is still unseen in a lot of movies today.

I'm so happy about the obi wan voice overs. Especially the McGregor one. He really is obi wan to me.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

HanSoloPrequel_zpspx4fjhok.jpg

also, the other thing I didn't like was Han's son.

first of all, he looks nothing like han and leia. second, he gets his ass kicked by an untrained girl.
probably the weakest villain ever.

also, speaking of fin...do we know if he has the force? if not, he's only the second person on screen to wield a lightsaber, the same saber no less, and not have the force.

also, the other thing I didn't like was Han's son.

first of all, he looks nothing like han and leia. second, he gets his ass kicked by an untrained girl.

also, speaking of fin...do we know if he has the force? if not, he's only the second person on screen to wield a lightsaber, the same saber no less, and not have the force.

Fin was trained in hand to hand combat so it made sense for him to be able wield a light saber. I dont think he possess the force - he's a trained First Order trooper.

I think it's time to discuss Rey's Force Vision! That was a LOT of info to take in. Past, Present, Future? It was an amazing sequence that left me wanting more!

The Knights of Ren was the most puzzling. Was Rey standing in the place of Luke? Was this past or future vision?

Good stuff!

People keep saying this, but they made a point earlier in the movie of showing how well she can handle herself in a fight so it's not like she was someone who all of a sudden knew how to fight. Sure, the force part was new piece of the equation, but at the time Kylo was injured as well and had just killed his father, so he is probably not at the top of his game at that point physically or mentally.

I dont know,....perhaps its just the generation of today,....maybe some people were on facebook while trying to watch the movie,....it sounds to me like not everyone were paying attention

J

1. It appears that they Stormtroopers are trained in using some sort of anti-lightsaber weapon. So the fact that Finn was able to somewhat use the lightsaber effectively is not that big of a deal to me.

2. Earlier they showed how Rey used her staff to fight off people trying to steal BB-8. She was a girl growing up on a rough planet so they fact that she knows self defense out of necessity is not that surprising. Also Kylo is not a full fledge Jedi nor Sith and he had just been shot and was bleeding pretty heavily so I don't see why it is so hard to believe that she could fight him off.

Also personally as the father of a young girl I like that they have a female Jedi. Young girls need some strong role model to look up to and not just be damsels in distress. I can't help but notice nobody thinks Asoka is a weak Jedi.

...but at the time Kylo was injured as well and had just killed his father, so he is probably not at the top of his game at that point physically or mentally.

That is exactly right. If we go back and watch, he was punching himself in the area where, I believe, Chewie had shot him. He was DEF wounded and not 100% This may have been one of those times in the movie where we have to think and not have it all spelled out for us. I dont like being spoon fed information through a movie. Make me earn it! ;)

Also personally as the father of a young girl I like that they have a female Jedi. Young girls need some strong role model to look up to and not just be damsels in distress. I can't help but notice nobody thinks Asoka is a weak Jedi.

that's cause she had training. and from the father of the grand master himself, no less. she also had an army of jedi teaching her secrets as time went along. Rey had none of that. and the fact that she learned things like mind control and levitation so quickly (When Ezra with a semi trained jedi teaching him couldn't on the first try) seemed a little bit goofy. even in this goofy world ;o). especially considering she just found out the force existed not more than thirty minutes earlier. How'd she even KNOW she could mind control someone or levitate stuff?

I also find it hilarious how the actress playing captain phasma was building herself up during her interview saying 'star wars fans are really waiting for the first female villain to really kick some ass' . first, no one told her about the awesome ventress apparently. and second, phasma did literally nothing, except walk around and talk. lol.

that's cause she had training. and from the father of the grand master himself, no less. she also had an army of jedi teaching her secrets as time went along. Rey had none of that. and the fact that she learned things like mind control and levitation so quickly (When Ezra with a semi trained jedi teaching him couldn't on the first try) seemed a little bit goofy. even in this goofy world ;o). especially considering she just found out the force existed not more than thirty minutes earlier. How'd she even KNOW she could mind control someone or levitate stuff?

The force spoke to her [emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also, regarding 3D....There was one 3D money shot that made it seem like it was right in front of your nose. a shot of the new star destroyer nose front about midway through the movie. wow!

also, regarding 3D....There was one 3D money shot that made it seem like it was right in front of your nose. a shot of the new star destroyer nose front about midway through the movie. wow!

I can't agree with you more on that point. This just was not a 3D movie.

Secondly I really hope they do something with Phasma in the next movie or other wise I am finding it to be nothing more than the Purple lightsaber of this trilogy.

I think it's at least possible that Rey is no stranger to the Force and simply had the knowledge forcibly suppressed. Maybe she was Luke's best Padawan (and/or his daughter?) and was hidden on Jakku with a selective mind wipe or two. When Ren probed her mind, it toppled the flood gates. Coupled with her vision, that seems like when things suddenly changed and started coming back to her. The title of the movie itself could refer to her, perhaps exclusively.

I forgot I was in a 3-D movie until that shot :lol

It wasn't filmed for 3-D, don't waste the money

I believe that was just Disney's money grab. The only reason I saw it in 3-D in the first place was because the tickets were already bought as a surprise for me. (my daughter wanted to see the new chipmunk's movie and my wife decided to spare me and picked up a Force Awakens ticket which she sprung on me after we got to the theater )

Releasing TFA in 3D wasn't just a money grab by Disney, it's a money grab that pretty much every studio does these days. Like it or not, pretty much every action and family film coming out is going to be released in 3D whether or not it was actually filmed in 3D. While I'd say that most of the people here on the RPF don't care for 2D films in 3D, I don't think that can be said of movie audiences in general. I'm guessing that there are enough movie goers out there who actually like 3D movies that it's worth the time and money for studios to do the conversion and there are also probably enough people out there who are ambivalent enough about them that they're willing to pay the premium if all other screenings are sold out and/or it's the next screening available that's not hours away from then.

the movie is called the force awakens. I feel when Kylo went digging into Rey's mind he awoke her force capabilities. Training or not. How Luke able to able to fire a perfect shot on the deathstar without his guidance system with only a few hours of training? How was a young anakin able to pilot a pod racer when qui-gon said there were no humans that could do it?

And for for those complaining about her besting Kylo in that battle. Were you even watching the movie? 3 reasons.

1. She lived on her own and defended herself since she was ten. It's constantly shown that she can handle and take care of herself. Did she need Finns help to take on those two thugs?

2. Who said Kylo was really trying to kill her? In that scene you see him realize how strong she is and he attempts to make her his Padawan. That was his "together you and I can rule the Galaxy.." Moment. There was risk trying to convert Luke. Just like he took a risk trying to covert her.

3. He got shot in the stomach! Chewie's blaster wasn't set to "stun". He was SERIOUSLY injured and bleeding out slowly. They made a point to point that out. I don't care how much training he had, that wasn't a fair fight. I can beat Floyd mayweather in a fight if I shoot him in the stomach first.

I think one of the reasons that Kylo was bested by Rey was to show that Kylo's dark side training is not complete and once it is, I have a felling he will best her (or Luke, but I don't thin that should happen).

With all of the speculation that Rey may be Luke's daughter (seems likely), has anyone give thought to perhaps she is the new chosen one and maybe Luke created her using the force. She embodies both the light and the dark.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back