Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

loved this film; seen it twice can't wait for the blu ray release BUT in all fairness it wasn't my top film of 2015. Fury Road takes that place for me; George Miller made the Mad max he always wanted to and he nailed it. JJ Abrams made a damned good star wars film that I will happily watch again and again but fury road looked and felt dangerous.

Is SW everyone else's top 2015 film?

Last edited:
thanks aliencollection I hadn't seen that clip. Poor George he looks totally devastated
GL is visibly ball-busted by the complete dismissal of the prequels in the reactions to TFA. I don't think I've ever seen him this animated and fervent, ever. He's the last person to be talking about 'the value of story' after utterly commercializing and merchandising everything Lucasfilm (pre Disney sale) had a hand in producing. Likewise bitching about sequels when he produced at least five of them, then the prequels. GL can direct anything he wants and, if he's done with that, he could fund fifty indie filmmakers to create a whole new wave of talent if he wanted to. Star Wars was made by thousands of people doing excellent work...accept that life turned out great, George, and be content.

Anyone but me annoyed by Kylo Ren capturing Rey instead of BB-8 because she had seen the map?
Well, so had the audience... but who is able to understand and remember it?

Um you did see the scenes with Poe and Ren. Obviously he was going to access her thoughts or images in her mind to get a mental image of the map. I picked up on that straight away.

Ben

Plus, he knows something about her, other than the map. Hence his reaction when he was told the droid escaped with a *girl* (What girl?!)

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Shouldn't have sold his kids to the white slavers then!
I'll say this: if Lucas had made TFA with all the direct Star Wars OT plot lifts and recycling that JJ/Disney did, Lucas would be crucified.

That they were *saving SW from the prequels* is half of what makes TFA work. I doubt JJ/Disney would get away with TFA in a pre-Internet world, where the global audience wouldn't be following the lengthy pre-production phase, awaiting the results with tickets in hand.

I'll say this: if Lucas had made TFA with all the direct Star Wars OT plot lifts and recycling that JJ/Disney did, Lucas would be crucified.

That they were *saving SW from the prequels* is half of what makes TFA work. I doubt JJ/Disney would get away with TFA in a pre-Internet world, where the global audience wouldn't be following the lengthy pre-production phase, awaiting the results with tickets in hand.
I am sure !!!
I as commenting on him seeming sad he did not get to finish HIS story . he could have gotten off his butt and done it if that is what he wanted . i think a lot of it was because of the hatred he got for the prequels he just did not want to hear it again . and now it is successful he is kind of pissed he gave up on HIS vision .

So I went with my son to see it a second time today. When it was coming up to the release I said to him we'd have to go and see it a few times together and his answer was "no we only need to see it once then buy the Bluray".He never wants to see movies more than once at the cinema. Anyway when we first viewed it last week the first thing he said to me was "can we see it again" which was a shock to me. Now after the second time he's asking when we can see it a third. All the while watching the other movies at home in between.

To to me I loved it the first time but I love it even more the second time. I was just too stressed and overwhelmed on the initial viewing. People complain about the retread of ANH but there's so much more going on in this film. The wonderful new cast and the return of the old. The chemistry between them is wonderful. The banta and humorous moments and most of all the fun of Star Wars is there and that's the most important part.The soundtrack mostly remains in the back but brings back the cues to the original music at just the right time when it really wants to pull on your emotions. To me that worked perfectly.

This movie is not for the cynical adult that has lost his inner child or the JJ haters that still haven't gotten over the fact that Star Trek hit a greater audience. It's for the families that want to take their kids and also want to release that inner child in themselves and get away from the stresses of everyday life. There's a group of people on social media sites that are hitting hard at everyone that loves this movie and comments as such. Most say that anyone that likes the movie is not a true first gen fan. Well to me they are the ones who are not true fans because Star Wars is about either embracing your inner child or if your lucky enough to still be a child and it's clear to me their inner child is dead. It only takes one look at their profile and posts to see that.

Anyway thanks JJ for the best Christmas ever. ;)

Ben

Not exactly sure what your saying. I saw TFA for the second time. It's simply fantastic. Build up or no build up doesn't change its a great film.

The prequels were mess. George didn't even understand why people liked the OT films so much. They were fun and offered hope as the Heroes step up to challenges. The prequels just missed the boat. I assume after the rave reviews for TFA George is bummed as its black and white how he just missed the mark 3 times in a row (not to mention the overdone CGI he was addicted to). The goofy producer he hired as yes man holds accountability as well. Thank goodness he didn't work on TFA.

Lucas was and is crucified because he made 3 films that were crap. Unfortunately no one can change that.

Last edited:
Um you did see the scenes with Poe and Ren. Obviously he was going to access her thoughts or images in her mind to get a mental image of the map. I picked up on that straight away. Ben
Again, those were JJ Trek Vulcan mindmeld scenes, not SW 'your thoughts betray you' scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly sure what your saying.
If Lucas had ripped off his prior movies' major plot elements yet again (as JJ/Disney did) for more sequels, he would have been crucified.

thanks aliencollection I hadn't seen that clip. Poor George he looks totally devastated
Devastated, but not $4.5b devastated.

I don't think anyone twisted his arm, he made the choice himself and his terms could have been different in wanting a final say, but he just chose to sever that choice in the sale to Disney.

What he really should have done much earlier is taken on the more backseat executive role and let other directors do the movies like he did with ESB and ROTJ, but he didn't. All those years and now look at 30 years later Star Wars still surges.

I would love to someday see what his vision of those 3 are after this new trilogy is complete.

I think it's also great Disney is making anthology films. I'm hoping we finally get to see some of the things the episodic OT didn't show us, or a proper pre-Ep4 Vader film in his prime wearing the fully donned Vader garb in the quest to wipe out the Jedi reminents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am sure !!!
I as commenting on him seeming sad he did not get to finish HIS story . he could have gotten off his butt and done it if that is what he wanted . i think a lot of it was because of the hatred he got for the prequels he just did not want to hear it again . and now it is successful he is kind of pissed he gave up on HIS vision .
There's also the issue of the billions of dollars that he won't see. I mean BILLIONS, just from TFA. I'm sure GL receives writer revenues for the characters, but he sounds utterly burned. "White slave traders"!

Again, those were JJ Trek Vulcan mindmeld scenes, not SW 'your thoughts betray you' scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

If Lucas had ripped off his prior movies' major plot elements yet again (as JJ/Disney did) for more sequels, he would have been crucified.

I don't value your opinion because as I said some people are just JJ Star Trek haters and will hate on anything he does.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe - but I personally loved the "rip off" ideas and thought they all hit the mark. I'm sure there was plenty of discussion on whether to do this or not. I thought it was great!

He will always be crucified more for his prequels than if he had brought us back to fun films.

Saw it again today, felt better about it this time around than the first, but still wasn't able to enjoy it. Between the screaming and crying 4-year-old in the next row over (seriously people, get a sitter...a PG-13 movie isn't appropriate for kids that age anyway) and people coming in and out of the theater literally every 5 minutes, it was extremely hard to concentrate on the movie.

I think people who want to see a movie in a crowded theater to get the "full experience" are crazy; you miss everything that happens after every laugh line and cheer moment, of which there are a lot in TFA. So I decided I'm going to give it a few weeks for the crowds to die down before I see it again, so maybe this time I can enjoy the movie without all the distractions of a crowded theater.

Kudos to JJ and Disney for filling the theaters for the second straight week, though.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back