STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

They could still do an Obi Wan movie, it would just have to be set in the Prequel era. I like the idea that Obi Wan didn't even ignite his lightsaber in public until he was in the Cantina and that kind of signaled the return of the Jedi. He didn't need to hide anymore at that point.

Agreed. I'd be okay with a PT-era Obi-wan movie. That would also save us from the awkwardness of trying to age Ewan to actually look like Alec. Otherwise, an Obi-wan movie is a dumb idea. After the PT, Obi-wan was watching Luke, not having adventures.

Nowhere that I'm aware of but it does somewhat defeat the purpose of his exile on Tatooine if he's gallivanting all over the galaxy having grand ol' adventures...doing what exactly?

Where in the canon does it say Obi Wan was "exiled on Tatooine"?

Did RotS ever say anything about Obi-Wan going to Tattooine or anything? If not, then I can believe that he might have had an adventure or two before settling down to hermitdom there or maybe he went offworld periodically until Luke for older. Still, I can't imagine Obi-Wan doing much more than that, not once we start approaching the Rebels era with ISB agents and Inquisitors running around looking for rebels & Jedi, by that time I'd think that he'd be laying low and not drawing undue attention to himself and potentially Luke.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Did RotS ever say anything about Obi-Wan going to Tattooine or anything? If not, then I can believe that he might have had an adventure or two before settling down to hermitdom there or maybe he went offworld periodically until Luke for older. Still, I can't imagine Obi-Wan doing much more than that, not once we start approaching the Rebels era with ISB agents and Inquisitors running around looking for rebels & Jedi, by that time I'd think that he'd be laying low and not drawing undue attention to himself and potentially Luke.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Right. I could see where it would be possible where Bail had come to Obi Wan in the past to help with certain things. It is certainly one way to interpret the line, "I'm getting too old for this." Maybe even Obi Wan having certain personal missions he felt needed to be taken care of or even just stumbled upon. I just don't think that there is anything in the canon that forces Obi Wan to stay on Tattooine 100% of the time.

He probably did keep tabs on Luke from time to time and he probably knew that one day he would encourage Luke to take up the ways of the Force so staying close to him would be an advantage but that's a part time job at best. If he really wanted to keep an eye on him all the time and have him ready, it would seem like a better idea to raise Luke himself.

I have said many times that a ewan mcgregor standalone movie where he returns to mandalore for a death watch story has the potential to be amazing.

Mandalore was left in pretty rough shape when we left it, and Duchass Satine's sister was a pretty great character to explore.

I like the idea that Obi wan was a hermit watching over Luke for all those years. But his hand in the Mandalore situation was large enough to pull him back there to help out.

I have said many times that a ewan mcgregor standalone movie where he returns to mandalore for a death watch story has the potential to be amazing.

Mandalore was left in pretty rough shape when we left it, and Duchass Satine's sister was a pretty great character to explore.

I like the idea that Obi wan was a hermit watching over Luke for all those years. But his hand in the Mandalore situation was large enough to pull him back there to help out.

I like that idea, a lot. It blends both ideas of Obi-Wan on Tattooine perfectly. He's settled on Tattooine prepared to do little more than watch over Luke while he grows up but is called up for one last mission to help the sister of his one time love and finally close a long lost chapter in his life.

I like that idea, a lot. It blends both ideas of Obi-Wan on Tattooine perfectly. He's settled on Tattooine prepared to do little more than watch over Luke while he grows up but is called up for one last mission to help the sister of his one time love and finally close a long lost chapter in his life.

Wouldn't you love to see a scene where ben has to tell Owen that he has to leave for a bit? Little Luke could be off in the background thinking about moisture farming.

Wouldn't you love to see a scene where ben has to tell Owen that he has to leave for a bit? Little Luke could be off in the background thinking about moisture farming.

You know, this could also be the start of the split between Obi-Wan and Lars. Maybe initially Obi-Wan was going to stay with Lars & Bera, or at least nearby, to help them with their farm and with raising Luke but after only a short while he took off to Mandalore against Lars' wishes and to compound matters Obi-Wan was away for far longer than he promised/told Lars he would be. It was because of this that Lars seems to dislike Obi-Wan so much and that Luke doesn't really meet him until the events of Ep IV.

You know, this could also be the start of the split between Obi-Wan and Lars. Maybe initially Obi-Wan was going to stay with Lars & Bera, or at least nearby, to help them with their farm and with raising Luke but after only a short while he took off to Mandalore against Lars' wishes and to compound matters Obi-Wan was away for far longer than he promised/told Lars he would be. It was because of this that Lars seems to dislike Obi-Wan so much and that Luke doesn't really meet him until the events of Ep IV.
True. That is interesting.

I always felt that Owen's hate on was an act.

He was doing anything to keep luke out of the eyes of the empire. Including manipulating him to stay on the farm.

There's another idea that I just thought of.

What if someone makes some connection to luke and hires a bounty hunter to track him down? Obi wan intercepts this bounty hunter on Tatooine and then has to track down whoever hired him in order to sever the connection so that the empire don't even catch wind of this.

Regarding Obi-Wan between III and IV... Y'all need to read the new Marvel comics. Main title, Darth Vader, and Lando I recommend strongly. Princess Leia not so much. And I haven't read Kanan: The Last Padawan yet. But the main title is most germane.

The most recent issue has Luke reading Obi-Wan's journal that he kept during his time on Tatooine. Obi-Wan reluctantly sits things out as some of Jabba's thugs are stealing scarce water from the local farmers during a drought as "taxes". Luke, who's about 4 or so, goes out to stand up to them and Obi-Wan has to rescue him. He does so in as non-visibly-Jedi a way as possible, but at the end of it he acknowledges that he's a Jedi and can't stay uninvolved. This dovetails nicely with the recent (and currently Legends) novel Kenobi, which starts with him newly arrived on Tatooine, avoiding people, trying not to get involved, and getting sucked into things regardless. There's some EU content that could make it problematic to canonize (references to Sharad Hett and Sandpeople recognizing his lightsaber), but the new comic story really feels like the next installment in Obi-Wan's Tatooine story arc that that novel began. But...

Did RotS ever say anything about Obi-Wan going to Tattooine or anything?

Um... The second-to-last shot of ROTS is Obi-Wan riding an eopie off into the desert after delivering Luke to Owen and Beru. Currently, the next time we see him in the films is him coming out of the desert in ANH to rescue Luke from the Sandpeople. The new ancillary material is looking to be filling in the intervening years, and the gist so far is he stays on Tatooine -- but not just sitting around.

--Jonah

I'll post as a follow-up, rather than edit my last. These are the preface and internal narration from Marvel Star Wars (2015) #7:

"While searching for answers in his quest to become a Jedi, Luke Skywalker has uncovered a journal written by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, a journal that Kenobi specifically left behind for Luke to find. The journal details Kenobi's adventures during the time he was in hiding on Tatooine."

"[...] By the time of the Great Drought, it had been years since I'd touched a lightsaber. Years spent hiding on Tatooine. Years spent alone. I wasn't General Obi-Wan Kenobi anymore. I was no longer a Jedi Master. I was only Ben. Quiet Old Ben who lived far out in the Dune Sea, where nothing but womp rats and Tusken Raiders ever dared to go. Ben the forgotten hermit. Ben the relic. One day blurred into the next, with little to distinguish them. Instead of Sith Lords and bounty hunters, my days were spent battling monotony and inactivity. I should have been busier than ever. I should have been training the boy. But his uncle never allowed it. And I suppose there was a part of me that couldn't blame him. The last Skywalker I tried to train was gone. They were all gone. All the Jedi. And sometimes I wondered... if I should have gone with them. But I still had one job to do. And I did it the best I could. If I couldn't train the boy, I could at least keep him safe and hope there would come a day when he'd realize for himself that he was meant to be more than just a farmer. [...]"

And he also spends some time angsting to Qui-Gon (that is, talking to thin air in his hut, but never getting a reply) about how he feels like he's doing the wrong thing by laying low and doing nothing. Granted, there's still fifteen years to go between that and ANH, but for now there's no indication he leaves Tatooine anywhere in there.

--Jonah

I believe that he also tells yoda that he will take luke to tatooine to his uncle so that he can watch over him. Something to that effect

I have two kids, a wife, and a dog that I watch over. However I not with them all the time and due to Navy commitments, I had to go a way on missions for a time. Are you telling me that I am not watching over them even when I am away, or are you implying that service members fail to watch over their families? You don't actually have to answer that. I know you are not, but I think you see my point. You can "watch over" loved ones without having your eyes locked on them 100% of the time.

I have two kids, a wife, and a dog that I watch over. However I not with them all the time and due to Navy commitments, I had to go a way on missions for a time. Are you telling me that I am not watching over them even when I am away, or are you implying that service members fail to watch over their families? You don't actually have to answer that. I know you are not, but I think you see my point. You can "watch over" loved ones without having your eyes locked on them 100% of the time.

I agree with you. for the most part.

Much like yoda, I believe that Obi-wan went to tatooine to exile himself. His intent was to lay low until the time was right. (Frankly, if we look at ANH a bit more closely, it looks like he had given up and was expecting to live the rest of his life in the desert. It appears as if he hadn't any contact with the rebellion in years)

But the Obi wan from that we see in the clone wars is the type of man to get dragged back into things.

Last edited:
I'll post as a follow-up, rather than edit my last. These are the preface and internal narration from Marvel Star Wars (2015) #7:

"While searching for answers in his quest to become a Jedi, Luke Skywalker has uncovered a journal written by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, a journal that Kenobi specifically left behind for Luke to find. The journal details Kenobi's adventures during the time he was in hiding on Tatooine."

"[...] By the time of the Great Drought, it had been years since I'd touched a lightsaber. Years spent hiding on Tatooine. Years spent alone. I wasn't General Obi-Wan Kenobi anymore. I was no longer a Jedi Master. I was only Ben. Quiet Old Ben who lived far out in the Dune Sea, where nothing but womp rats and Tusken Raiders ever dared to go. Ben the forgotten hermit. Ben the relic. One day blurred into the next, with little to distinguish them. Instead of Sith Lords and bounty hunters, my days were spent battling monotony and inactivity. I should have been busier than ever. I should have been training the boy. But his uncle never allowed it. And I suppose there was a part of me that couldn't blame him. The last Skywalker I tried to train was gone. They were all gone. All the Jedi. And sometimes I wondered... if I should have gone with them. But I still had one job to do. And I did it the best I could. If I couldn't train the boy, I could at least keep him safe and hope there would come a day when he'd realize for himself that he was meant to be more than just a farmer. [...]"

While I agree the above supports your argument, it is vague enough to not disprove Obi Wan going on missions. The problem with the entry above is it has no real specifics. When was the great drought? How many years is "years". For example: If the great drought was during the age of 12 for Luke and "years" was actually 3 years. Then from year 1 to year 9 after Revenge of the Sith, Obi had touched a lightsaber. And if so... why? It still leaves the possibility that Obi Wan was active for a time after Revenge of the Sith.

The case I am trying to make here and in many debates in this thread is that fans to get a small piece of info and formulate a specific idea of events without leaving room alternate possibilities. When fans do that, they tend to get upset when the actual story/canon does not play out as they thought. Just like the old debate during the Clone Wars when the show was on the air. People were adamant that Ahsoka would die in the show since she was not seen in Revenge of the Sith.

So I am 100% in the belief that Obi Wan had adventures between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, I simply believe that the possibility exists. This way if they do decide to do a movie about such adventures, I can understand that it does fall in well with the canon.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back