Star Wars Launch Bay Opens @ Disneyland

Here's another

IMG_2189.JPG

Last edited:
PH what scale did the Force Awakens Falcon look to you and did it look like it is based off a known kit or work we've seen before? It looks pretty big on the video.

As part of the deal when selling Lucasfilm to Disney, Lucas retains ownership of the original filming miniatures and other items, I believe. They all are kept in the vault at Skywalker ranch, so it makes sense that Disney have had replicas made. The paint jobs are a bit of a dissapointment, though, I have to say. Maybe they didn't have a lot of time?

Awesome Slave I! Looks just like the original.

The millennium falcon appears to be based off the 5 footer more than the 32 inch version. Though it isn't accurate to either of the older versions.

Last edited:
The Slave 1 curse has been lifted!
Also, I'd wager that Falcon is 3d printed from TFA assets? It's based off the five footer after all....

Awesome Slave I! Looks just like the original.

The millennium falcon appears to be based off the 5 footer more than the 32 inch version. Though it isn't accurate to either of the older versions.

Id say its been moved to one side rather than lifted, looks very rushed and using parts that are known to not be accurate to make it a quick but still very challenging fix for the disney Dollar...i mean what do they know ...it looks like it so thats what they wanted I guess?

The Slave 1 on display there is very much based on REL's hulls and thats not lifting a curse its using whats to hand and very effective it is too. It was a huge challenge to get this lot done for the cray Disney deadline they were given and a huge amount of credit is due for that especially to do it twice!!

I still think its a F&M B- wing in there and have seen John c's modded build and its beautiful as always but not sure his was used in the displays at Disney, though could well have been

It pob helped a ton having access to the digital files for the x and falcon though and they do look great.

Re the A-wing looks like Rob may have finally finished his pattern and looks Fantastic, possibly its USA grown though? I have no idea but it doesn't look like Robs Pilot so could be USA grown, always love seeing A-wings and another hat off to the maker of that baby

Great job by the Nice n team all round and everyone else that helped over the years compiling the info and building the stuff to get them where they did

I got the chance to visit the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland today and it's pretty cool. Even though the models are reproductions the museum like display and lighting gives them a verisimilitude. ;)

Overall the models look really nice (the detail on the five foot long Tantive V is stunning!) except that across the board the paint jobs are a little weak. I was trying to figure out what was missing. The models all looked a little washed out and flat. When I looked over the photos I took it appears that there weren't any washes used to deepen recesses and panel details which leaves them a bit flat. Maybe it was a time issue? I know they made two each of all the models as there is a Launch Bay in Florida as well. That's a lot of work!

Last edited:
verisimilitude

ver·i·si·mil·i·tude
ˌverəsəˈmiliˌt(y)o͞od/
noun

• the appearance of being true or real

I really thought you made up this word.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one of the few "fancy" words I remember from Advanced Placement English in high school!

I want to know why three of the models are missing from Florida and why didn't they use the lighting all the models are equipped with....

I got the chance to visit the Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland today and it's pretty cool. Even though the models are reproductions the museum like display and lighting gives them a verisimilitude. ;)

Overall the models look really nice (the detail on the five foot long Tantive V is stunning!) except that across the board the paint jobs are a little weak. I was trying to figure out what was missing. The models all looked a little washed out and flat. When I looked over the photos I took it appears that there weren't any washes used to deepen recesses and panel details which leaves them a bit flat. Maybe it was a time issue? I know they made two each of all the models as there is a Launch Bay in Florida as well. That's a lot of work!

There's far more than washes to painting an Authentic ILM style model Dave, the obsession with panel lines is not an ILM thing but a hobbyist thing when replicating real world weathering from scale tanks and planes.

Same as with preshading , if you want to paint ILM worthy replicas you kinda have to paint like ILM did

No doubt good bad or no lighting will enhance or spoil a display but it can't spoil a bad paint job only a bad paint job spoils a model, there is some good and not so good paint jobs in there

Ageing an ILM model replica isn't impossible but it does slow it down and they had 3 months or so !!

That has to be taken into account with these I think

As I said, as a whole the model efforts are really nice, I just wish as much care (or time) had gone into the paint jobs as went into the builds. They just fall a little short of being great. I understand that there's more to painting than washes, but no, it's not just a hobbyist thing. ILM (and all the rest of us working on movie models back in those days) used them too.

Actually the paint finish on the FA X-Wing and Falcon looked pretty good.

Washes yes, but they're not as s rule applied to enhance panel lines on the ILM stuff , wasn't implying washes weren't used full stop ,

from the pics Ive seen its a display best viewed from a few steps back at least !!

Hopefully not the car park though lol

Maybe they didn't have receptacles for them at the venue.

My brother stopped by the exhibit last week he was very impressed with the models. Especially the star destroyer, slave I, and blockade runner. I can't imagine the hard work that went into producing all of these models within the short time period given. Especially with the level of detail applied to them.

Don't know everyone involved, but it's impressive. Especially since they are so accurate. Great job to all involved.

I want to know why three of the models are missing from Florida and why didn't they use the lighting all the models are equipped with....

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back