Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser closing?

I'm a small business owner. My success or failure is on me, not my clients. Misplacing blame for my bad decisions is the equivalent of me drinking poison and getting mad when the other guy doesn't die.

It sucks that a lot of people are going to lose their jobs with this thing closing, but that's not the general public's fault. It's just as stupid as getting mad at an audience when they dislike your crappy movie. The audience didn't make the thing.

I think if the building had been divided in two and 1/2 had been the Tantive IV with OT Rebels, and the other 1/2 was a Star Destroyer interior with OT Empire, it would have been gangbusters.

Imaging being the guest of Princess Leia on her personal starship. She can’t be there due to Senate business but she greets you with a special hologram message (CGI OT ANH Leia created by Disney Imagineers). You enjoy all the ships amenities and start your Rebel training.

You shuttle to Batuu for the day but on the way back to your shuttle Darth Vader and OT Stormtrooper intercept your group and shuttle you to Vaders Star Destroyer for the interrogation and Empire business. All seems lost until a Jedi appears and fights off Vader in a lightsaber duel just long enough for Rebel commandos to rescue you to a shuttle and take you back to the Tantive IV just in time for dinner.

Disney could be printing money if that is what the GS had been.

I think if the building had been divided in two and 1/2 had been the Tantive IV with OT Rebels, and the other 1/2 was a Star Destroyer interior with OT Empire, it would have been gangbusters.

Imaging being the guest of Princess Leia on her personal starship. She can’t be there due to Senate business but she greets you with a special hologram message (CGI OT ANH Leia created by Disney Imagineers). You enjoy all the ships amenities and start your Rebel training.

You shuttle to Batuu for the day but on the way back to your shuttle Darth Vader and OT Stormtrooper intercept your group and shuttle you to Vaders Star Destroyer for the interrogation and Empire business. All seems lost until a Jedi appears and fights off Vader in a lightsaber duel just long enough for Rebel commandos to rescue you to a shuttle and take you back to the Tantive IV just in time for dinner.

Disney could be printing money if that is what the GS had been.

That sounds like it would be a blast! This screams excitement and adventure. I've seen some incredibly fun sounding scenarios that members here have posted that would have been far more engaging and successful than what Lucasfilm delivered.

Star Wars has nothing to do with luxury. It's action/adventure. This is not a hard concept to grasp. The concept was flawed at the beginning just as much as its execution. Blaming customers and YouTubers for Lucasfilm's poor business choices is ludicrous.
I mean that's the thing, though. There are more luxurious locals in Star Wars. I don't need the whole floor show. But give me something makes me feel like I'm staying on Coruscant. Imagine being able to walk out on your balcony and seeing Coruscant skyline.... Really push the technology of the illusion. Instead of being stuck in a starship.

Or heck. How about Bespin? Cloud City. And at the end of your stay, suddenly the Empire shows up. And you have to "evacuate" Cloud City.

You can certainly have some fancier locales, but again your scenario still introduces an element of surprise where you have to escape the Empire which is a cooler premise than what they delivered on because it requires the guests to do something other than watch a lightsaber fight between two actors. In your premise, that sense of adventure is a better element than the stupid idea of being on a "cruise" and then doing a few scavenger hunts.

I don't think anyone objects to certain locales being fancier than others. Cloud City has some beautiful views etc, but it's also the setting of the greatest lightsaber duel in the entire series in the grimy inner workings of the industrial section. So you can combine those contrasting elements to give the full scope of draw dropping vistas, but also incorporate the tense action adventure feel too. If most of the focus is providing luxury, then it misses the point altogether.

It boils down to a passive experience vs an active experience. If most of what you're doing there is watching things happen, you might as well watch the movie for free at home.

Maybe not in starships particularly, but there have been plenty of views of luxury accommodations inside buildings ... in ESB, TPM, AOTC, ROTS and in TLJ.
The people would complain that it looks too much like the inside of a building and not enough like a luxury starliner or something like that. About the only thing that they could do to the decor to keep people from complaining would be to copy the insides of ships like Star Destroyers, the Falcon, or the blockade runner from ANH. And while that would have made it looks more "Star Wars'. it would have been the completely wrong aesthetic and would not have been the right look for what was supposed to be the Star Wars version of a cruise liner.

undefined - Imgur - 2023-08-13T202406.116.jpg

The people would complain that it looks too much like the inside of a building and not enough like a luxury starliner or something like that. About the only thing that they could do to the decor to keep people from complaining would be to copy the insides of ships like Star Destroyers, the Falcon, or the blockade runner from ANH. And while that would have made it looks more "Star Wars'. it would have been the completely wrong aesthetic and would not have been the right look for what was supposed to be the Star Wars version of a cruise liner.
I do wonder that now that the cruiser is offline, there will be a leak of what the available storylines were and how people were to access them. Since it was advertised that there were multiple storylines, I would like to know how extensive it was.

I didnt go on the experience since its out of my price range but from all reviews, the event itself doesnt sound bad and is probably quite a bit of fun. Experiencing an escape room, its a different type of activity not available in Disneyland/world currently and is a fun new addition for older guests.

I still think the big issue is the insane price. Make the price lower (or cycle through different activities) and I think people would have embraced it. If they run out, they can revamp with different storylines and activities to keep repeat customers. Make it a one day or even half day activity, significantly lower the price so more people can participate, and it would have been a "premium" experience for Star Wars fans that didnt break the bank.

"For Guests who previously booked a voyage on or after Sept. 30, we will be contacting you soon to discuss your options and modify your plans. As we prioritize these Guests, at this time, new bookings are temporarily paused and will reopen on May 26."

Wait! What? They are going to try this again on May 26th?!

You can certainly have some fancier locales, but again your scenario still introduces an element of surprise where you have to escape the Empire which is a cooler premise than what they delivered on because it requires the guests to do something other than watch a lightsaber fight between two actors. In your premise, that sense of adventure is a better element than the stupid idea of being on a "cruise" and then doing a few scavenger hunts.

I don't think anyone objects to certain locales being fancier than others. Cloud City has some beautiful views etc, but it's also the setting of the greatest lightsaber duel in the entire series in the grimy inner workings of the industrial section. So you can combine those contrasting elements to give the full scope of draw dropping vistas, but also incorporate the tense action adventure feel too. If most of the focus is providing luxury, then it misses the point altogether.

It boils down to a passive experience vs an active experience. If most of what you're doing there is watching things happen, you might as well watch the movie for free at home.
The problem, fan criticisms aside, wasn't the setting or the base premise, it was the cost. If you watched any YouTube videos or read any reviews of people who went, both paid by Disney and on their own dime, they almost all universally said that it was great and they really enjoyed it. But the universal complaint was cost, it was freaking expensive. And no setting in the OT, changing the premise, more or less interaction, would have drawn in a significantly larger amount of guests to this ,certainly not enough to have made it profitable enough to continue. This was for people with plenty of money to spare and spend on an expensive vacation, but it also, by many accounts lacked any real repeatability. There were small things you could do differently but ultimately the main story elements were always the same. Maybe if the Starcruiser had lasted long Disney would have created a new story to encourage repeat customers. But then again, if Star Tours is anything to go by, they probably wouldn't have changed anything for many years.

"For Guests who previously booked a voyage on or after Sept. 30, we will be contacting you soon to discuss your options and modify your plans. As we prioritize these Guests, at this time, new bookings are temporarily paused and will reopen on May 26."

Wait! What? They are going to try this again on May 26th?!
Yes, they did, and it’s sold out from now until closing…

Sean

She just sold her home, you see all the rumors circling?
Yes. There are plenty of rumors - such as Iger looking for ways to exploit the loopholes in KK's contractual immunity by fishing for evidence of financial impropriety and even criminal liability. In the meanwhile she was supposedly barred from being in the office without permission in the wake of Dial of Destiny and her embarrassing and unauthorized public announcements.

But we've been hearing very credible rumors about KK being on the brink of being ousted for years. I believe that woman has more lives than Jason Voorhees.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back