Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Kirk: "Phasers on Stun!"

Compare that to Trek09 where Kirk and Spock had their phasers set to kill when they invaded the Narada.

Conspiracy_zps57b3e3c1.jpg

"Let's not even try to figure out what's going on!. Let's blow his head off!"

Conspiracy_zps57b3e3c1.jpg

"Let's not even try to figure out what's going on!. Let's blow his head off!"

All of Season 1 and some parts Season 2 are NOT the best representations of the characters. Yes, the Conspiracy had moments like those. Heck, I was more disappointed that they just flat out resorted to killing the hosts without looking for any other alternatives, especially when they were able to render one of the older hosts incapacitated earlier.

After Season 2, TNG got a lot more mature. Take this exchange regarding the Crystalline Entity that has killed thousands.

Marr: What do you propose? We track it down... greet it warmly... and ask if it would mind terribly not ravaging any more planets?
Picard: I'm not denying that it might become necessary to fire on it. But that would be a last resort.
Marr: Why? Why not just kill it?
Picard: I'm going to try to talk to it.
Marr: What?
Picard: We know through our own experience that our shields will protect us from the Entity. As long as we are in no danger, I will make every effort to communicate.

This is the Picard I like. One who wants to understand the unknown forces of space. This is how I like my Star Trek. Sure, you can throw me his revenge obsessed behavior from First Contact, or his stupid action hero "firing a rifle with one hand" portrayal in Nemesis. But if you're going to keep showing me that Star Trek has moments like those, no need. I already know that. What I want you to understand is that those are not my favorite moments, nor do they reflect what I like about Star Trek in the first place.

Come on guys. It's not anti-JJ. It's anti-JJ, Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof.

Naw. It's just disappointment. Being a fan of Trek and knowing that this is the only new stuff we're going to get does make me feel down at times.

Come on guys. It's not anti-JJ. It's anti-JJ, Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof.

Naw. It's just disappointment. Being a fan of Trek and knowing that this is the only new stuff we're going to get does make me feel down at times.

I've been a fan of TOS since NBC was airing premiere episodes on Friday nights at 10 o'clock! That's longer than I almost care to admit. TOS is my favorite all-time TV series! And I was not at all disappointed with the last movie. I liked everything about it—including the design of the ship. Honestly, I just don't understand the negativity from Trek fans. I just don't. :confused

I've been a fan of TOS since NBC was airing premiere episodes on Friday nights at 10 o'clock! That's longer than I almost care to admit. TOS is my favorite all-time TV series! And I was not at all disappointed with the last movie. I liked everything about it—including the design of the ship. Honestly, I just don't understand the negativity from Trek fans. I just don't. :confused

Surely you must understand the lack of meaningful intellectual engagement that TOS based JJ Trek did not have that TOS itself managed to seed into it's stories so well back then? Trek was good Science Fiction. It made us think in new ways right? Didn't it?
It's not some wild trivial criticism but rather a valid core concern that that was an important part of TOS to some of us. Again, if this was not TOS based and just another Trek film I guess I wouldn't have that bug up my butt so bad about it.

Disappointment I can understand.....40+ pages of griping is something else entirely.

Surely you must understand the lack of meaningful intellectual engagement that TOS based JJ Trek did not have that TOS itself managed to seed into it's stories so well back then?

No, frankly, I don't. (And don't call me Shirley if you don't want me to call you Frank!) Seriously though, you are comparing apples and oranges, me thinks, my friend. Trying to compare the '60s TV series to a '09 motion picture is a mistake, in my opinion. Do you think the last movie was any less "intellectual" than STII or any of the other ST movies that are deemed to be "successful favorites" by TOS fans? How so?! The '79 TMP was so overly intellectual, it was sterile and as cliché as V'ger was. And boring. Nevertheless, why is ST09 not a very intellectual story? Me thinks it very much is. Not only that, it had the cojones to go where no other Trek movie had gone before with the introduction of the young characters along with the earlier days of Kirk's and Spock's parents, and Pike. I found the actors to had done their homework and their characters fascinating and fun to watch. i thought the movie complemented (and complimented) TOS and made me feel very nostalgic.

ST09 also had a unique ingredient in it that i found very endearing—it was a dash of almost comic-book-like quality. A dash of Starship Troopers, if I may dare to sayl. It accentuated effectively the youthfulness of our heroes and gave the story a freshness and excitement—the opposite of the very stale and stuffy TMP. It was fun to watch as well as having an intellectual and serious plot.

Trek was good Science Fiction. It made us think in new ways right? Didn't it?
Yes, of course it made us think in new ways. We were all young, and so was SciFi TV. The '60s was a different time. Scifi was fresh and new. But TOS was not good scifi right from the start. The characters, especially Spock, developed into who we know today. And it certainly was not good scifi all the way through. it was actually hit-and-miss—especially as the end of the series approached, and no one much cared about the 3rd season anymore, including Gene. Even throughout its best seasons TOS' ratings sucked. TOS had earned its immortality over time. It became larger than life years after its plug was pulled by NBC.

But to your point, yes, it is hard to fill the shoes of TOS. ST09 made me feel like it came close, though. Still, it's not fair to measure one by the other.

It's not some wild trivial criticism but rather a valid core concern that that was an important part of TOS to some of us. Again, if this was not TOS based and just another Trek film I guess I wouldn't have that bug up my butt so bad about it.

Again, i thought the movie complemented (and complimented) TOS. It was true to the essence of TOS and made me feel very nostalgic about the characters. No other ST movie had done that.

No, frankly, I don't. (And don't call me Shirley if you don't want me to call you Frank!) Seriously though, you are comparing apples and oranges, me thinks, my friend. Trying to compare the '60s TV series to a '09 motion picture is a mistake, in my opinion. Do you think the last movie was any less "intellectual" than STII or any of the other ST movies that are deemed to be "successful favorites" by TOS fans? How so?! The '79 TMP was so overly intellectual, it was sterile and as cliché as V'ger was. And boring. Nevertheless, why is ST09 not a very intellectual story? Me thinks it very much is. Not only that, it had the cojones to go where no other Trek movie had gone before with the introduction of the young characters along with the earlier days of Kirk's and Spock's parents, and Pike. I found the actors to had done their homework and their characters fascinating and fun to watch. i thought the movie complemented (and complimented) TOS and made me feel very nostalgic.

ST09 also had a unique ingredient in it that i found very endearing—it was a dash of almost comic-book-like quality. A dash of Starship Troopers, if I may dare to sayl. It accentuated effectively the youthfulness of our heroes and gave the story a freshness and excitement—the opposite of the very stale and stuffy TMP. It was fun to watch as well as having an intellectual and serious plot.

Yes, of course it made us think in new ways. We were all young, and so was SciFi TV. The '60s was a different time. Scifi was fresh and new. But TOS was not good scifi right from the start. The characters, especially Spock, developed into who we know today. And it certainly was not good scifi all the way through. it was actually hit-and-miss—especially as the end of the series approached, and no one much cared about the 3rd season anymore, including Gene. Even throughout its best seasons TOS' ratings sucked. TOS had earned its immortality over time. It became larger than life years after its plug was pulled by NBC.

But to your point, yes, it is hard to fill the shoes of TOS. ST09 made me feel like it came close, though. Still, it's not fair to measure one by the other.

Again, i thought the movie complemented (and complimented) TOS. It was true to the essence of TOS and made me feel very nostalgic about the characters. No other ST movie had done that.

I think in a nutshell your saying we can't go home again, I agree.
And I concede most Trek films before were not living up to what I am complaing about now but I was still emotionally engaged with the drama of following my beloved characters fates and my beloved starship whic is the embodiment of boldy going.
But TNG often succeeded brilliantly to make us think in new ways that Sci Fi is capable of doing so well.
Hell the series finale was all about that very point and had action and drama. So it can be done and JJ should at least try.

The problem with die-hard Trek fans is that we know the amazing potential that it has, the world of Trek having been painstakingly built over decades of storylines and countless talents, and that anything short of exemplary will do it little justice.

It's like having Einstein's brain and being stuck working an assembly line all your life. It's just such a damned shame!

PICARD
I sincerely hope this is the last
time I'll find myself here.

Q shakes his head.

Q
You just don't get it, do you,
Jean-Luc?
(leans in to him)
The trial never ends.

He smiles patronizingly.

Q
(continuing)
We wanted to see if you had the
ability to expand your mind and
your horizons... and for one brief
moment, you did.

PICARD
When I realized the paradox...

Q
Exactly. For that one fraction of
a second, you were open to options
you'd never considered. That's
the exploration that awaits you...
not mapping stars and studying
nebulae... but charting the
unknowable possibilities of
existence.

STAR TREK: "All Good Things... "- REV. 03/17/94 - ACT TEN 126A.

135 CONTINUED: (3)

The Chair begins to MOVE AWAY from Picard.

PICARD
What are you trying to tell me, Q?

Q touches his hat in a half-salute. His chair is
almost fully withdrawn.

STAR TREK: "All Good Things... "- REV. 03/22/94 - ACT TEN 127.

135 CONTINUED: (4)

Q
You'll find out.

----------------------------

Q nearly whispers to Picard a great revelation but leaves it to the viewer
to ponder. What a great job they did.

What's the point of writing Trek without such things in there somwhere?

I'm just asking to be thrown a bone now and then because I want people to think
when they watch Trek now and then. Just now and then.

Trek on the big screen has never been the same as Trek on the small screen.

It has never been as thought provoking or stimulating.

It has been that way since 1979.

Trek on the big screen has never been the same as Trek on the small screen.

It has never been as thought provoking or stimulating.

It has been that way since 1979.

It is true.
TMP was the last journey dedicated to a bigger Sci Fi ideas, though a bit of a retread. Of course it was The Motionless Picture and slow. I often think a mashup of TMP and TWOK might have made the perfect Trek film.

I did appreciate that First Contact pushed how important warp drive and space exploration is and that was what they were fighting to save from the Borg.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back