Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

LOL! I the extended trailer you see Kirk and McCoy swimming into the ship and it looks Galaxy Class big!

And they were able to sneak it into the ocean which was also swimming distance away from the village. You would think an object that big would make a lot of noise when submerging in the ocean, let alone the noise it would make when on it's own.

And they were able to sneak it into the ocean which was also swimming distance away from the village. You would think an object that big would make a lot of noise when submerging in the ocean, let alone the noise it would make when on it's own.

Maybe it's a big ocean, small land mass planet and they snuck in on the other side of the horizon... Remember: Think three dimensionally. :lol

Maybe it's a big ocean, small land mass planet and they snuck in on the other side of the horizon... Remember: Think three dimensionally. :lol

If they needed to get inside the temple and run off, I think I would have just sent down a shuttle craft and parked it in the ocean just off the beach. The shuttle crafts do have transporters and a section in which you can isolate. There is nothing about the Enterprise being in the ocean that makes any sense.

This is JJTrek, so anything is possible whether it is possible or not.:lol

To be fair, that statement pretty much sums up almost all of Star Trek. Every incarnation of the series is filled with baffling "science" and instances where story trumps logic. You can go with it or nitpick it.

If they needed to get inside the temple and run off, I think I would have just sent down a shuttle craft and parked it in the ocean just off the beach. The shuttle crafts do have transporters and a section in which you can isolate. There is nothing about the Enterprise being in the ocean that makes any sense.

Do we know that the shuttles in the new Star Trek have transporters? I don't recall from the first film if that was established or not.

But the only thing I can think of regarding lack of using a transporter is a very small throwaway line in the 10 minute preview about magnetic interference. This is apparently why they have to lower Spock into the volcano rather than transport him (they even mention that to get him out they will require line-of-site).

So who knows? Perhaps that interference doesn't just apply to inside the volcano, but the area around it, too.

I do agree, though, that a shuttle would make more sense. But I've accepted crazy things in a movie before for entertainment, so I'm not willing to write off the film without seeing it.

To be fair, that statement pretty much sums up almost all of Star Trek. Every incarnation of the series is filled with baffling "science" and instances where story trumps logic. You can go with it or nitpick it.

The real issues I have with JJ's Trek is that it violates rules that were previously consistent. Like not being able to beam through shields and having a limited range. Now we can bypass all that at once by just typing in this number in a scrapped out shuttlecraft's terminal.

Aº¡£+X=FDT49ˆ

Now you can beam two people several light years away onto a starship that's cruising faster than the speed of light with it's shields up. You just defeated the entire point of having a Starship.

Oh, and Scotty says that the Enterprise might not take the heat of an errupting Volcano, even though Spock is inside of it doing just fine. And haven't we've seen the original Enterprise (and even a Klingon Bird-of-Prey) withstand slingshotting around the sun in close proximity?

Oh, and Scotty says that the Enterprise might not take the heat of an errupting Volcano, even though Spock is inside of it doing just fine. And haven't we've seen the original Enterprise (and even a Klingon Bird-of-Prey) withstand slingshotting around the sun in close proximity?

Yeah, but THAT Enterprise didn't have a water boiler for a warp drive. It's not the same ship. :lol

If this same timeline continues, then by the time Jean-Luc gets the Enterprise E, it will be 1537 meters long and have a crew of 3000. :popcorn

This is JJTrek, so anything is possible whether it is possible or not.:lol
I totally second that. Admittedly, that Whichever-ship-it-is crashing sequence made me think of good old Looney Tunes physics...

I must correct that. When Wile E. Coyote hits the ground, he warps.

Last edited:
Yeah TOS shuttles didn't have transporters and based on the interior shots in the 9min trailer it didn't look like this shuttle did either.

Man, those caskets in the new trailer sure look like cryo tubes...

Yeah TOS shuttles didn't have transporters and based on the interior shots in the 9min trailer it didn't look like this shuttle did either.

You're right. The TOS shuttles didn't have transporters...

attachment.php

That type of shuttle had transporters, and considering that the Enterprise has a fair compliment of them in her hanger...

attachment.php

I think the writers 'forgot'.

The shuttle seen in the 9min trailer looked like a new design. It looks more like a classic TOS shuttle with a cockpit that looks like a Runabout. It seems smaller then the one's from the '09 movie.

so, with all the complaints about how awful JJ's Trek is, and complaints about the movie poster, the trailer, the retina burning lens flare, etc, is it safe to assume that you guys will definitely NOT be there on opening day, and you definitely will NOT be handing JJ your $12??

And since you didnt watch the film you definitely WONT be on the board discussing the film the following day?

:lol

so, with all the complaints about how awful JJ's Trek is, and complaints about the movie poster, the trailer, the retina burning lens flare, etc, is it safe to assume that you guys will definitely NOT be there on opening day, and you definitely will NOT be handing JJ your $12??

I'll try anything once, but not for $12. The only films that I've deliberately stayed away from supporting are Transformers and Twilight. I gave each of their first films a shot and was so proud I didn't dive into the followups.

I'll try anything once, but not for $12. The only films that I've deliberately stayed away from supporting are Transformers and Twilight. I gave each of their first films a shot and was so proud I didn't dive into the followups.

So, since you've already seen JJ Trek09' and didnt like it, then theres no reason for you to dive into Darkness?

Last edited:
I think the writers 'forgot'.

Well, I forgot that scene took place in a shuttle. :lol For some reason I thought they were still on the planet. But it's been awhile since I've watched it.

But, I don't think the writers "forgot" as much as they specifically wrote it so that transporters couldn't be used because they wanted to create a cool reveal for the Enterprise.

As I said, they *do* drop lines of dialog in the 9 minute preview that suggest transporters are unreliable around this volcano.

And since you didnt watch the film you definitely WONT be on the board discussing the film the following day?

:lol

If only it worked that way.

Well, I forgot that scene took place in a shuttle. :lol For some reason I thought they were still on the planet. But it's been awhile since I've watched it.

That's probably because the set for the shuttle interior looked more like the inside of a bus or a subway train than any shuttle we've seen to date.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back