Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Maybe so, but at least there's some semblance of consistency. Transporters for instance always had the rule of not being able to beam through the shields and had a very limited range. Trek09 did away with all two of those rules in one sitting. Not because someone discovered a powerful new source of energy, not because someone is Q, but because someone typed in an equation into a computer on a broken down shuttlecraft.

But... Um... Spock and Scotty are awesome?

:lol

But... Um... Spock and Scotty are awesome?

No. Being awesome because the script says they are is not the same thing. Unfortunately that's all this script seems to have going for it. What's Spock's motivation for wanting Kirk to take command of the Enterprise? Because he's awesome. That's pretty stupid.

One might argue though that Spock's motivation is the restoration of the timeline to some semblance of normality.

Biggest problem with that is that KIRK IS NOT THE SAME CHARACTER!

Completely different upbringing = Not the Kirk that did all that awesome stuff in the other timeline.

Doesn't matter how awesome you are, you can't type a formula into a knackered old system and suddenly give it the capabilities of tech over a century ahead.
Just 'cos you have the code for WIndows7 doesn't mean you can input it on a circa 1980 MS-DOS PC

Doesn't matter how awesome you are, you can't type a formula into a knackered old system and suddenly give it the capabilities of tech over a century ahead.
Just 'cos you have the code for WIndows7 doesn't mean you can input it on a circa 1980 MS-DOS PC

Sure you can. That's how you get clear Aluminum right? :D

Sure you can. That's how you get clear Aluminum right? :D

In Star Trek IV's case, the formula for transparent aluminum was just that. A formula. They didn't input it into the Macintosh computer (YAY!) and use it in the factory to manufacture a sheet for their whale tank that very same day. Even Nicholas said it would take years just to make sense of it all. They just gave him the formula in exchange for the regular polymer that was needed.

Last edited:
In Star Trek IV's case, the formula was just that. A formula. They didn't input it into the Macintosh computer (YAY!) and use it in the factory that very minute to manufacture a sheet for their whale tank. Even Nicholas said it would take years just to make sense of it all.

But is it really that simple? Here's the formula, make a sheet?

One would think a year just to make that one sheet!

They didn't. Scotty was bargaining the formula for sheets of what they already had in stock that could hold the amount of water they were going to beam aboard..

Gotta watch that again... I could have sworn he gave it to them because that's what he needed. It's been a while since I saw 4.

So then how did they make the Aluminum sheet?

Scotty: Doctor Nichols, I might be able to offer something to you.
Nichols: Yes?
Scotty: I noticed you're still working with Polymers
Nichols: Still? What else would I be working with?
Scotty: Aye, what else indeed. I'll put it in another way. How thick would a piece of your plexiglass need to be at 60ft by 10ft to withstand the pressure of 18,000 cubic feet of water?
Nichols: Oh, that's easy. Six inches. We carry stuff that big in stock.
Scotty: Aye. I've noticed.

That's the gig. Scotty needs that plexiglass, but he obviously can't get it with his share of Kirk's $100.00 that he got with his glasses.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back