Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 4!

This screen cap from Manhunt might explain that...the bottle appears to be a tube inside a tube and only the outside tube holds liquid.

How the heck did they accomplish that?

manhunt068.jpg

QuarksBarB

I stand corrected....Same number of rings at the top, but lacks the rings at the bottom...I still think this is a completely different bottle though.....

Attachments

• manhunt069.jpg
    manhunt069.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 346
Yea, I seen that episode, and to me that bottle looks nothing like the STII Bottle, this 1 has less rings and none on the bottom....Looks like a completely different bottle......

I would prefer the STII Version.......

Agreed... I think they made that bottle specifically to create the illusion the character was consuming a lot larger volume of liquid.

Agreed... I think they made that bottle specifically to create the illusion the character was consuming a lot larger volume of liquid.

You are correct, sir. It is an old prop drink trick that they've used for many a year both on television and on the big screen.

Yea, I seen that episode, and to me that bottle looks nothing like the STII Bottle, this 1 has less rings and none on the bottom....Looks like a completely different bottle......

I would prefer the STII Version.......

Although it is a different bottle, the ST2 bottle may have been constructed the same way, due to the way it looks mid-pour.

Yes, to me it looks like it may have been constructed in a simalair manner, but the bottom is not like the STII, plus the bottom on this bottle he is drinking just has a small ring underneath giving the illusion that it might be a bottle within a bottle but taking a look at the last screencap shows that it is not, but just a plain canister.

To me, once our STII bottle is complete, it should be a dead ringer for the STII Bottle, and to me, it is the better looking bottle out of all of them. Plus, it was the first! And you just can't beat having a replica of the first one......

:thumbsup

Yep, I believe I have found a manufacturer and have submitted the designs to him. They are a little busy at the moment and estimate it will be a few more weeks until they can take a look and start putting together an estimate. I'll keep you guys posted as I know more.

I came up with a possible poor man's version.

I've worked with quarksbarb in creating the many bottle labels and designs for her party over the recent years. Recently, she found bottled water under the name 1litre that has a stair stepped top. As you can see in the link the steps aren't as plentiful and styled exactly like the ones used in the movie or show, but I think it will work for this project.

Now if you wanted to go the cheapest route, you can stop right there. All they need is the screen printed decal taken off. I'm having a slight problem with that because I know that certain types of solvents and acetones will cloud the plastic. I started off with rubbing alcohol and worked my way up to fingernail polish. While that's all I had on hand, it weakened the ink enough that i could lightly scrape it off. This again was not something i wanted to do b/c of the possibilities of scratch marks. I have used a product sold to trophy companies called Novus that works pretty well. Sadly I don't have any on hand and will have to order some when I get back to this project. I have many empty bottles that I can practice on so if anyone has ideas on how to take that screened in off, please let me know.

If you want to get that bottle in a bottle look, I found something that I think might work. You could do one of these two things. One is that you can cobble together an outer sheath from acrylic cylinders from TAP plastics (or anyone else who sells the correct size cylinder and bottom cap) or you can find a Tupperware spaghetti container. Now, Tupperware has changed their design, so you'll have to scour thrift stores and yard sales. I have run into a few problems with this tube. Sometimes this tube is scratched up, so unless you want to buff out the scratches or make it a frosted version, you'll need to do a little work on it. The other is that the tube is too long:

romwork02.jpg

The solution is to cut it down, and normally that won't be a problem, but the other problem is sometimes this plastic tube can be brittle to cut. I haven't cut mine because I don't know the best way to cut it with out screwing it up. I think mine is scratched enough that I might go with the frosted look and keep my eyes open for a cleaner tube. That is if I can cut it without getting a skewed cut. I've cut acrylic many times, but never a clear tube. I would probably tape off the tube that will stay, but I would love to hear suggestions on properly cutting it.

As you can see by this last pic, the 1litre bottle fits snugly and if I can get it cut down, I really think that this would be a quick and simple project for people either on a budget, needing a prop for a set piece, or for their own private collection.

romwork01.jpg

I apologize if this needs to be split off into it's own thread and will do so if needed.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back