Star Trek Beyond

I have much less of a problem with Rhianna in this trailer than I did with Kanye in the Assassin's Creed trailer. At the very least her voice and the music compliment what is going on, and while it's high in the mix it isn't distracting. I don't know why anyone really sweats trailers, the songs are rarely if ever in the final films.

:thumbsup

Luckily, I've given up caring about the latest piece of JJ-ness:

http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com/2016/06/im-beyond-beyond-why-star-trek-beyond.html

D

Well, I can't dissagree with anything you said! I think you've stated quite clearly why so many true Trek fans, who are so anxious to cling to any remnant of it coming back into their lives, will put up with this new juvenile version of it, yet come away feeling so let down when they give it any thought beyond the first rose-colored glasses view. But you do have to draw the line somewhere. I agree. I'll give it one more chance. If this next movie throws the baby out with the bathwater, I will also wash my hands of it and just review the old stuff with relish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also realized with the last movie that this Star Trek just isn't for me.

I'm not mad about it or anything, although as a life long Star Trek nerd it's going to feel crazy weird not to be there opening night, but whoever this is for, I hope they enjoy it like I enjoyed the Trek that was for me.

And I still hope that someday my Star Trek comes back.

oh, it doesn't matter if it's good for the franchise, or good in general. if some untalented ceo thinks it's a perfect fit to get more casual fans into the seats...then so be it, it be good ;o).

this entire choice screams to me 'some ceo wanted to meet rhianna, and this was his excuse ' ;o)
To be honest, I was just bustin' karmajay's chops when I made that post. I don't know anything about Rihanna, and don't really care whether or not they use her music in the movie. If they do, I hope it's for a better reason than because some C.E.O. has the hots for her, but we'll probably never know.

I noticed how they're promoting the song:

Sledgehammer (From The Motion Picture "Star Trek Beyond")

Really? Are Sulu and Chekov listening to this on the subspace radio oldies station as they zoom around space in the hot rod Enterprise?

I noticed how they're promoting the song:

Sledgehammer (From The Motion Picture "Star Trek Beyond")

Really? Are Sulu and Chekov listening to this on the subspace radio oldies station as they zoom around space in the hot rod Enterprise?

It's like being in the Twilight Zone.

I know Paramount is struggling in the financial department and it's probably due to the fact they don't have a clue what to do with their properties. Talk about grasping at straws...

I know Paramount is struggling in the financial department and it's probably due to the fact they don't have a clue what to do with their properties. Talk about grasping at straws...

at least they didn't g ive star trek to michael bay..

but a fast and the furious director isn't much better..

so I agree whole hardheartedly.

It's a real shame though. there are SOOO many people, proffesional or otherwise that can do these properties RIGHT, but because geek things are popular these days, they don't HAVE to try anymore.

There's lots I like about First Contact, but it set the stage for screwing with the timeline in a bigger way than had been done before (especially when they used it to have Borg in Enterprise). Nemesis just proves that the only Trek actors that should be allowed to direct are the First Officers

Actually "First Contact" was the only good TNG movie. "Generations" was boring, too.

Generations committed the sin of killing off captain kirk twice... I can't help but wonder if it was because braga wasn't really a TOS fan.

for all it's sins,at least JJ Trek 1 didn't kill off spock. they let him live.

Data stole the show for me in generations, as did the duras sisters.

It's curious that - and this should probably be more appropriate in the new series' thread - that they claim that there's a "Kelvin" timeline and a "prime" timeline going along at the same time.

The dead Borg from "First Contact" were discovered in "Enterprise" (prime universe.)

When Picard & co. went back to the 1800's, it was because they found Data's head in the prime universe.

When McCoy went through the Guardian of Forever, it eliminated the entire prime universe's Federation (though Kirk & co were protected from that by the Guardian.)

I still maintain that "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" has the most internally consistent theory of time travel of any movie or TV show. Which is kind of a shame.... ;)

The dead Borg from "First Contact" were discovered in "Enterprise" (prime universe.)

I still stand by my theory that ENTERPRISE takes place in the... *inhales softly* Kelvin Timeline. There is nothing in the Prime Universe that remotely suggests that ENTERPRISE actually happened. No mentioning of the NX Enterprise despite all the other Enterprise ships showing off models and pictures of past Enterprises.

But there are references in Kelvin Trek (GAWDDANGIT!!!!!). Archer is still a beagle nut. Admiral Marcus has a model of the NX-01, which by the way was a dead give away that he was evil. No respectable Starfleet officer would have a model of a ship who's crew committed planet wide genocide. Oh, and the USS Franklin is essentially the NX-01.

This is one series that JJ's Grandpa can keep.

Yup.

Actually the next gen movies were downhill after First Contact. That was the pinnacle, in my view.

My personal favorite of all of the films. :)

I still stand by my theory that ENTERPRISE takes place in the... *inhales softly* Kelvin Timeline. There is nothing in the Prime Universe that remotely suggests that ENTERPRISE actually happened. No mentioning of the NX Enterprise despite all the other Enterprise ships showing off models and pictures of past Enterprises.

But there are references in Kelvin Trek (GAWDDANGIT!!!!!). Archer is still a beagle nut. Admiral Marcus has a model of the NX-01, which by the way was a dead give away that he was evil. No respectable Starfleet officer would have a model of a ship who's crew committed planet wide genocide. Oh, and the USS Franklin is essentially the NX-01.

This is one series that JJ's Grandpa can keep.

What about the last episode of Enterprise?? ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last we saw of the prime universe was Nemesis, which came out a year after Enterprise started. So, to be fair, there wasn't a lot of reason to mention Archer or the NX-01 in the film.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back