Star Lord w/ lights and sound - 3d Print Files - Infinity Orb Base in Progress

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: Star Lord with lights and sound.

Thanks for uploading these parts! I've got a printer at work and don't have access enough to print the whole helmet in one go, but these will make for a great first print. Really looking forward to the complete orb, it looks fantastic, and the revamped barrels as well.

Great job on improving the Nerf blasters. The slides look so much better as one piece.

So we're off and running again with the Star Lord accoutrements.

My bag came from China in about a week, which I thought was impressive.

sTkCxgXl.jpg

I happened to be in Manhattan yesterday and I tried to find a matching fabric to the screen bag:

N8yeHKzl.jpg
N1ibi6Hl.jpg

... nobody had anything close, which is not a surprise, because the bag is probably screenprinted just for the movie. Whatever. I found a brocade that might work, and it was cheap, so I bought half a yard of it and brought it home with me. The colors are... kind of right? And it's squares, not circles, but come on, I'm trying here. We'll see if I have the time and inclination to do anything with that. Worst case, the bag is good by itself.

The helmet gave me, appropriately enough, quite a logistical headache for a couple days. I just did not like the fit on my big, dumb lightbulb-shaped head.

zeBBIGzl.jpg

sT3jW0pl.jpg

gGjDY3El.jpg

v6tTNsOl.jpg

I could barely even get my head in there because it was too narrow side-to-side, even after removing a lot of material inside. I tried using a heat gun to flex the sides out, which helped a bit, but overall I just was not happy with it. So, back to the drawing board I went. I spent 4-5 hours remodelling a large section of the mask and re-proportioning features.

ArWQwRHl.jpg

I flattened out the front of the face a bit (although, in hindsight, maybe not as much as I wanted). I also bulged the back of the helmet out to give me a bit more room to work with, and brought the edge by the nape of the neck up substantially so I could fit the thing over my head easier. It's wider than Helagak had on his original model, but that's what I need to wear it comfortably. I'm probably going to have to carve a section out of the underside of the chin to give me the clearance to get my nose through, but the fit on this one should be a lot better.

A lot of time was spent looking at the guns and trying to figure out what I was doing. I finally refined the model for the barrel down to the point where I'm happy with it.

XxBFMR3l.jpg

xAO23RTl.jpg

It's available for download here. Should work with minimal effort. In the mean time, progress has been made on the interior, mostly around the battery area, which I had to rejigger a little bit:

aibpOU1l.jpg

fctSbUfl.jpg

It looks a little messy, but this thing is actually engineered very tightly, and I'm kind of proud of it. The battery can be pushed straight into the slot, and will snap into battery connectors snugly without moving around. A ribbon is in place at the moment to help me pop the battery out.

URTc8obl.jpg

9WJSX7pl.jpg

I spent a couple days toying around with my greeting card circuit before I decided I wanted to do better. I took a dive into the strange and exciting world of arduinos and breakout boards, and have been working on some solutions that I think will do the trick:

xcp1Bz4l.jpg

I'm going to be using an Arduino Pro Mini to control each gun and I'm embedding an Audio-sound Breakout that will have all the sounds I need on a microSD card. I'm still waiting on a parts order at the moment to get everything wired up. This is also my first endeavor into anything involving arduinos, but oh my god they are so much easier to use than I first thought. Like, I can't see ever not using one of these in a project in the future. They are dirt cheap, smart, adaptable, and small.

Here's what I'm thinking, as far as ultimate functionality on the guns:

• An on-off switch hidden somewhere on the body of the gun to isolate the 9V from the rest of the circuits, including the arduino.
  • When powered on, the gun will make a 'power up' noise as it comes to life. A standby LED will slowly pulse once 'ready'.
  • When the trigger is pulled, it will turn on blue LEDs in the barrel at full intensity, then quickly fade them out over the next second and a half. One of half a dozen blaster sound effects will play from the speaker, chosen at random.
  • When I hit the secondary trigger on the gun, it will 'overheat'. The speakers will play a winding-down sound, the physical movement of the gun will open up the two slides, exposing the interior barrels. A red LED will come on in the barrel shroud.
  • When the gun is closed back up, it will re-engage the same 'power up' sound as when initially powered on. Red LEDs will turn off.
Thankfully, I know Java, and these arduinos seem like a snap to program up, so with a bit of trial and error I'm confident I'll be able to come up with something cool.

I was also going to show off the boot rockets, but right before I was taking the pictures I managed to mistakenly hook up the wrong power source to one of them and burned out the electronics I had embedded (I was working with 5v for the arduino, and the poor LED in the boot rocket didn't know what hit it). Woops. As a consolation prize, here's a completed strut, while I figure out how to fix my boo-boos:

oULbHDxl.jpg

I'm currently printing out a copy of the orb interior by @tonyyoungblood - I may be making a cold-cast aluminum version for myself once I'm done cleaning the Infinity Orb up, and depending on Tony's disposition, I may be able to offer a run of these things! We'll see.

Attachments

• sTkCxgXl.jpg
    sTkCxgXl.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 190
  • sTkCxgXl.jpg
    sTkCxgXl.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 120
  • N8yeHKzl.jpg
    N8yeHKzl.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 149
  • N8yeHKzl.jpg
    N8yeHKzl.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 152
  • N1ibi6Hl.jpg
    N1ibi6Hl.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 188
  • N1ibi6Hl.jpg
    N1ibi6Hl.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 126
  • zeBBIGzl.jpg
    zeBBIGzl.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 144
  • zeBBIGzl.jpg
    zeBBIGzl.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 132
  • sT3jW0pl.jpg
    sT3jW0pl.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 161
  • sT3jW0pl.jpg
    sT3jW0pl.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 123
  • gGjDY3El.jpg
    gGjDY3El.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 137
  • gGjDY3El.jpg
    gGjDY3El.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 187
  • v6tTNsOl.jpg
    v6tTNsOl.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 127
  • v6tTNsOl.jpg
    v6tTNsOl.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 172
  • ArWQwRHl.jpg
    ArWQwRHl.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 121
  • ArWQwRHl.jpg
    ArWQwRHl.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 180
  • XxBFMR3l.jpg
    XxBFMR3l.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 145
  • XxBFMR3l.jpg
    XxBFMR3l.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 127
  • xAO23RTl.jpg
    xAO23RTl.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 168
  • xAO23RTl.jpg
    xAO23RTl.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 150
  • aibpOU1l.jpg
    aibpOU1l.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 130
  • aibpOU1l.jpg
    aibpOU1l.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 124
  • fctSbUfl.jpg
    fctSbUfl.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 173
  • fctSbUfl.jpg
    fctSbUfl.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 125
  • URTc8obl.jpg
    URTc8obl.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 125
  • URTc8obl.jpg
    URTc8obl.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 9WJSX7pl.jpg
    9WJSX7pl.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 9WJSX7pl.jpg
    9WJSX7pl.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 183
  • xcp1Bz4l.jpg
    xcp1Bz4l.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 123
  • xcp1Bz4l.jpg
    xcp1Bz4l.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 137
  • oULbHDxl.jpg
    oULbHDxl.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 187
  • oULbHDxl.jpg
    oULbHDxl.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:

Also, my panel lines on the gun shrouds are not even, so I'm looking at re-scribing them out. Because it's a variety of different materials, I'm thinking I need to dremel the sides off a bit, refill the entire area with bondo, and then try scribing that to get uniform lines. Does this sound like the right approach?

Still picking support structures out of this thing, but hey, I have two halves now!

http://i.imgur.com/20OCFTMl.jpg

And they're hollow, so I can put a glowing Infinity Gem inside! But that'll come after cleanup. I figure I'll magnetize the two halves next.

On the audio front, I just got my delivery of the circuits...

http://i.imgur.com/FpnjVPCl.jpg

... looks promising. I need to figure out a better power source for them, but right now I'm digging around the internet to see if I can come up with the appropriate audio files for the blaster firing so I can load the audio onto the chips before I start looking at embedding them in the guns.

Is that the same outer shell printed twice? I found the page for that same page on thingiverse, but it only had the one outer shell and both inner shells.

It is. The symmetry is easy to miss if you're not looking for it, though I will confess I'd prefer the halves to be different.

My progress is tremendously slow on all of this, mostly because my work week takes up a lot of my time. I am actually concerned but I only have a month left to get everything done, and I don't know if I necessarily have enough time! I have spent the last few days reprinting the helmet scaled properly to my head, and also catching the second to gun up to where the first one is. nevertheless, I have had an opportunity in the last few days to try and figure out how to scribe panel lines, and I think I finally got it.

Still have to do the top barrel, but that will happen tonight.

Last edited:

That is a work of beauty! All the effort really shows.

I'm tired, but whatever, the basics work. I have the arduino set up so I can figure out the RGB LEDs properly that will be going in the barrel, because I realized that he shoots blue or yellow, depending on the scene. Plus, an RGB LED means when the gun overheats I can make them glow red. :V

I'm going to go get sized up by a tailor who is helping me make the pants tomorrow, and then Saturday I'm expecting a delivery of the remaining electronics I need to get everything set up. This weekend should be a giant leap forward... hopefully.

Hey man. I was wondering if you could release the 3d file of the modified mask. It would save me hours of work. If you can't I understand completely. Great build and thank you.

I'd be more than happy to, but I'm going to run it by Helagak first, since it's his work first and foremost that I was tinkering with.

interested in purchasing the printed barrel extentions.....if your game.....my guns already painted but would like to re-mod with your extentions instead of mine and im looking into leds.....

interested in purchasing the printed barrel extentions.....if your game.....my guns already painted but would like to re-mod with your extentions instead of mine and im looking into leds.....

I'd definitely be interested in a barrel extension as well!

What are they charging to make the pants if you don't mind sharing?

Ballpark of $400. I tried and tried and tried to find someone who could make these for me accurately enough, but nobody was willing to for less than that. Since I hope to be using this costume for benefits and stuff afterwards, it seemed like an okay investment.

I'd definitely be interested in a barrel extension as well!

I will absolutely make these and the bottom barrels for folks as a run once I'm done with the costume, but right now my printer and energies are tied up in getting this done in time for NYCC.

Helagak has given the OK to release the modified helmet files I have - I will do so later today, because I want a chance to put the thing together and make sure I didn't do something horribly wrong.

In the mean time...

I don't think that's too bad, especially considering that this is my first foray into arduinos and electronics like this in general. :D I'm still coding up the features I need, and once I get everything sorted I'll do a proper write-up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back