Star Lord w/ lights and sound - 3d Print Files - Infinity Orb Base in Progress

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: Star Lord with lights and sound.

Dude, you freaking rock. I was wondering how I was going to fix the end of my NERF gun. Thanks for making this available! I have to ask, you going to do anything for the bottom? :) And is there still a gap between the top of the barrel and the bottom of the 3D printed piece?

Dude, you freaking rock. I was wondering how I was going to fix the end of my NERF gun. Thanks for making this available! I have to ask, you going to do anything for the bottom? :) And is there still a gap between the top of the barrel and the bottom of the 3D printed piece?

I may retool my barrel plug file just a tiny bit more, because as it stands, the extension plugs into the barrel a little too losely - a product of me guesstimating the diameter of the nerf gun barrel, more than anything. I really need to get a proper pair of calipers.

I will be making a separate piece that I can 3d-print and plug into the bottom barrel. However, that one might have to be engineered a bit differently, as I intend on piping the speaker sounds from the gun out of that piece. I'll hopefully be designing it once the newer speakers I've ordered come in the mail, so I have them for scale reference. Need to figure out how to tuck an LED in there, too, but that shouldn't be too challenging.

There is not a gap between the top of the barrel and the bottom of the 3d printed piece, but the top of the barrel does taper down for the last mm or so, which might need to be filled in. I'll take some better pictures when I get home later on today.

Honestly, I would have designed a barrel replacement for the orange piece entirely, but one of the top gun shroud hinges is on it so I didn't want to get rid of it, and I don't trust that my redesign would be particularly accurate. I might still do that, depending on how the gun looks with the print I have in production right now.

The orange barrels need to be smoothed out to be closer to screen accurate. And I noticed in the marvel reference photos the tips of the guns look different from each gun. must be a moving part for the recoil action when he shoots the gun. Any chance you would sell the barrel plugs? I do not have access to a 3d printer.

If there's enough interest I could look into sellin' some of the prints. As I sit here at work I keep thinking about if it'd be worthwhile to try and make a single 3d-printed part that replaces the orange part of the barrel entirely. I think I could do it, but my worry would be making sure that the hinge for the upper cover was still able to move, and I don't 100% trust the strength of PLA-printed parts. I'll have to tinker with it a bit more until I solve things.

Once that's done, though, I could certainly spit a couple copies of whatever final part I end up using out for people who don't have printers.

If you come up with something, I'd be interested even if it didn't work with the gun as a toy anyway. I've stripped the insides of mine out.

So as we speak, I'm remodelling the part to replace the orange piece, too. Hopefully it should be a 100% replacement, screws and all. Any thoughts on details that should be added prior to test printing? I'm not done filling it in, but here's the rough:

Hopefully I've measured this right. I bought calipers off Amazon today, but I'm eyeballing things with a millimeter ruler right now. If I'm lucky, it'll work! I have to add the hinge part to the top of the barrel still.

I'm debating imprinting a little star lord logo on the side of the barrel, though whether or not that would print cleanly is another question entirely. Also thinking I need to move that ribbing further down the barrel in light of recent changes.

Edit: I've thrown the final piece to the printer before going to sleep. We'll see how well I did at eyeballing dimensions come morning!

If it works, I'll share the file. There's some parts on there that might not be super clear as to their function yet inside the barrel, but I'm toying with an idea of frosted acrylic to diffuse the LED lights, because the LEDs I have chosen are blindingly bright and I don't want to be hurtin' people, now do I?

Last edited:

... woops. :p

My fault for not noticing it, really. The mesh wasn't properly connected between the hinge mounts and the barrel, which resulted in them printing as separate pieces. Not ideal, especially because I know the hinge is going to be one of those parts that endures a fair bit of mechanical stress and the PLA I print with is not quite as robust as ABS might be. (Easier to use, though).

Still, it fits on the gun pretty snugly. A little too snugly, to be honest - I had to sand out the inside of the part just a tiny bit - but not bad for eyeballing it, I say.

I should probably prime these before taking pictures because black-on-black is impossible to make out detail on. Live and learn.

Anyway, I reinforced the hinges while I was attaching them to the barrel. They're more built out than the stock plastic part had them, which I think is actually a pretty good thing, because it is now being built as connected directly into the barrel:

Should be strong enough to just use the straight 3d-printed part without issues. I won't know if I got the hinge spacing right until I have a chance to print and test this, though!

That's an awesome idea! Color me interested!

Got my jacket.

Seems like a pretty good fit! It's the real leather version from fjackets. A few points on it to anyone interested in buying from them - if you go directly to their web site, the only version they have available is a synthetic leather one for $149. They don't list the real leather version on there for some reason! But, if you go on Amazon, they have both listed - real leather and synthetic - at different price points. Since I occasionally take the motorcycle out for a spin, I figured having a real leather jacket for me to be a high-speed nerd in would be a plus, so I opted for the slightly more expensive material. Feels good!

Here's a link to the Amazon listing. I did a lot of looking around before I pulled the trigger, but I get the impression pretty much all of these jacket providers are using exactly the same patterns and producing exactly the same jackets - that is, if they're not all coming from one place and just named differently! My jacket, in case of point, came addressed to me from Pakistan.

I have a 42" chest, and decided to go for a Large in their sizing. Glad I did - any smaller would have been too small. Sleeves are the right length, and it's a little snug when I zip it up, I will confess, but I've also put on a bit of weight lately from being a lazy piece of garbage. I don't think I'd trade it in for an XL at this point - the fit is supposed to be pretty much as it is on me, as far as I can tell.

A final note on why I ordered from Amazon is I figured having the extra buyer protection would be decent when dealing with international vendors like this... and also my rewards card gives me 5% cash back on 'book store' purchases, which ironically enough this falls into.

Been idly working on cleaning up the Infinity Orb and it's coming along. I took the opportunity to magnetize it together, and added plastic posts so that it would firmly lock shut without any lateral sliding.

Still needs a lot more work and sanding, but it's a start! I'm going to fashion an interior piece and hopefully 3d print that in the next few days to cradle the electronics and gem. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do for the infinity gem just yet, but I'm honestly thinking I'll just go outside, find an appropriate-looking rock, make a silicon mold of it, and then cast it up in clear resin with a purple LED or two embedded inside.

Last but not least, I think I've got the 3d-printed nerf barrel replacement piece sorted. I was just testing the hinge and I think I need to move it about .5mm to get a better spring-loaded opening movement, but that shouldn't be too difficult to do. Printing a second piece now with those slight changes. Here's a test:

ALL of the available jackets are exactly the same pattern, I agree. All shipped in from Pakistan etc and matketed differently.

I'll be honest, I might not have thought this through super well.

It works with zero issues. The opening effect of the original toy is still intact. I thought it'd be a neat gimmick to do when showing off at a convention or something - 'fire' it a bunch of times at viewers, and then have it 'overheat' and spring open with an accompanying sound and light show. I mean, it's entirely still possible! But here's the problem.

The gun... looks pretty stupid in this position. That barrel is way too long. If I could somehow engineer a way to make it retract backwards towards the handle when the cover went up, that'd be snazzy as hell, but I don't know how I'd possibly, possibly do that. I'm starting to think maybe I've taken a wrong turn with this idea - the opening effect was simply something Nerf designed so the darts could still shoot, after all. I'm pretty sure in the movie the front end of the barrel moved forward and back as the gun fired, rather than any movement like what I have going on right now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this yet. Might have to sit on the idea for a bit. Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion, but I don't really like how it looks in the open position at the moment. I might end up going with a fixed-in-place top barrel after all.

First off, great work. Couple ideas for you:
Limit the spring back action so the full length of the front barrel isn't exposed as much and there isn't as much overhang in the back.
And/or
Put metal mesh over a portion of the barrel that's hidden when the long piece is closed. Would break up the length and look like it helps as a heat shroud and with heat dissipation.

I mocked it up with top and bottom barrels and the slides on. I feel like this evens it out a bit and doesn't make it look... as silly.

I like the mesh-heat-shroud idea, but I have to be careful not to get in the way of the hinges, which lay flat along the top of the black, printed barrel when it's in the closed position. Also, the way the latch is designed on the stock gun prevents me from keeping it from moving the slide the entire distance back, as it only locks when it's in that position. I'd have to totally reengineer the latch if I wanted to change that, at which point I may as well make the gun do something different anyway.

Maybe a short length of fishing line to limit the movement attached to one the hingepoints and the other end to the inside of the shroud with epoxy. Would be hidden when shut and not add a lot of bulk. I'm planning to do my guns along similar methods to what you're doing.

Looking good, what i need to do to get a cast of that orb? Love it :D

The orb is still a work in progress, but you can check out my progress on Thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:430184

Right now I'm working on the interior. Next, I'll make the exterior printable without support structures. They are indeed a major pain to clean out.

InfinityOrbInteriorSideA.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back