Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 31st: Vest completed, plus full costume

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 12: "Meshed" up back!

Thanks Crazybug, this has been an interesting project. The vest feels closer to completion, though I know I still have a lot to do! I just have to bear down and do it.

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 12: "Meshed" up back!

I finished one of the pockets! It took me a while to figure out how I was going to do it. I ended up attaching it with glue, which isn't the best, but it's the best opton I could think of without a sewing machine.
I also have been using a serrated tracing wheel to give the look of stitching. If I tried to hand sew all thode seams, it'd take forever to try to make it look nice, and it still wouldn't look machine stitched. So it's a tradeoff I have to make.

2014-10-15 14.01.32.jpg
2014-10-15 14.02.00.jpg
2014-10-15 14.02.36.jpg

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 15: Pocket!

Here's the sketch I did of the embossed pattern on the upper left side of the vest:
20141016_231809_1.jpg

I cut out the pattern in the stiffest leather I had, then glued it in place, and added addition glue a section at a time, working the leather to try to get better definition. I got the method from another member here (the name escapes me right now).
2014-10-17 14.16.18.jpg
2014-10-18 00.43.32.jpg
I've also been adding straps, more pics to follow. The end is finally in sight! At least for the vest.

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 18: Embossed leather design

What are you going to use for the Valve?

Arm Valve painting 04.JPG <---Credit on he 3D print goes to @joatrash (but the paint? heh, that's all me, baby!)

Also, I found this here on RPF somewhere and I'd give credit for it if I could remember who originally posted this, but when I downloaded the image was too big to print, so I cut it in half. this represents where the greeblies (sp?) sit on the vest.

I hope this helps you out and if you are the person to have created this file, please credit yourself here because you frakkin' ROCK for making it! :D
Vest Greeblies_Printout_01.pngVest Greeblies_Printout_02.png
...and here's the original file with the orientation spaced-out for you as one document for reference.
Vest Greeblies.png

Last edited:

What are you going to use for the Valve?

View attachment 391219 <---Credit on he 3D print goes to @joatrash (but the paint? heh, that's all me, baby!)

Also, I found this here on RPF somewhere and I'd give credit for it if I could remember who originally posted this, but when I downloaded the image was too big to print, so I cut it in half. this represents where the greeblies (sp?) sit on the vest.

I hope this helps you out and if you are the person to have created this file, please credit yourself here because you frakkin' ROCK for making it! :D
View attachment 391217View attachment 391218
...and here's the original file with the orientation spaced-out for you as one document for reference.
View attachment 391221
Thanks, I did create the file, I suppose I should have put my name on it, or a watermark, but I didn't think about doing it at the time.
For the valve, I'm going to try to make it out of card stock. I had the idea that since it looks a lot like parts of a soda bottle top, I would cut apart to make it, but I rejected that idea. Still, if pressed for time, it could work.

I've got all the loops for the straps and belts installed! They were pretty easy. The loops slid into slits I cut into the vest and are just glued onto the reverse side. I think I made the loops for the gray straps 3/8" and the belt loops are about 1/2", but I don't remember for sure. I made a template out of the gray strap, marking off the loop spots with tape, and used that for the front and back, both left and right sides.

2014-10-19 11.22.06.jpg
2014-10-19 11.23.04.jpg

Thanks, I did create the file, I suppose I should have put my name on it, or a watermark, but I didn't think about doing it at the time.
For the valve, I'm going to try to make it out of card stock. I had the idea that since it looks a lot like parts of a soda bottle top, I would cut apart to make it, but I rejected that idea. Still, if pressed for time, it could work.

How about using foam core poster board? You could place your flavor of tape onto a clean surface, like glass, to cut the shapes needed form the tape so as to cover the open cell parts of the foam before painting it? I'm spitballing, here.... :D

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 19: Loops & straps

Staar Lord Man, yeah, I've used foam core in the past with decent results. I made an entire flying V guitar out of foam core for a Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap costume. But due to the size, I think card stock will slow for better detail and more rigidity, especially if I harden it with super glue.

The vest is basically done now! I have to add a couple more snaps in the back (actually, I used some metal button tops I found instead of snaps), and I need to add the valve to the embossed area and add all the metal greeblies. Plus, some weathering and some little details are in order. But I'm glad to be done with it! Now I have to move on to the boot tops and belt. :(

2014-10-23 20.35.10.jpg
2014-10-23 20.32.06.jpg
2014-10-23 19.13.40.jpg
2014-10-22 02.50.57.jpg

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 23: Vest nearly completed! New pics, page 3

New pics: I decided to weather the vest using black acrylic paint. It's not quite as permanent as other options, but that also allows me to make adjustments to it. It worked pretty well, though it's hard to see the subtlety in these pics. The first pic shows the contrast between the unweathered and weathered sides.
2014-10-30 04.23.57.jpg
2014-10-30 04.22.33.jpg

I also made the gasket-thing for the chest. It's not actually the same as the gasket used on the short jacket like I originally thought, so I tried to come up with something similar. I'm not entirely happy with it, but at this point, I may not have anything better. I'll try to tweak it if u can. The pic shows it temporarily stuck on the vest.
2014-10-30 04.12.44.jpg

I've also started on the greeblie-medals, opting for metal duct tape, since it was easily available, and easy to cut with a scissors and exacto knife. I used several layers to give it some thickness. I'll post pics when I have them attached to the vest.

Time is running short on this project, so I'm forced to cut some corners, but I did manage to make some acceptable (to me) boots/spats. I mocked them up using foamies, but I also used the foamies to give them added structure do them look more like there's an actual boot under the spats. I opted for a two piece system, using elastic to hold everything together. It's definitely not screen accurate, but passable due to my limited time, tools, and materials, so I'm OK with how they turned out. If I have some time today, I'll add some more details.
I couldn't get a decent pic of the boots on me, so they're just propped up in this pic. When they're on, they look a bit better, not as narrow.
2014-10-30 04.15.24.jpg
I also decided to buy some motorcycle-type jeans instead of trying to make something. I went with a pair if G-Star jeans I found at Macy's. They look similar enough for me. And I'll actually wear these jeans as part of my daily wardrobe too, so they seemed like a better choice for me than buying actual motorcycle pants that I would only wear once.
2014-10-29 00.56.33.jpg

Re: Star Lord vest - UPDATE - Oct 30th: More new pics, plus boots & jeans

My spats look almost just like that. I had to get them made in time for Halloween. I didn't use any backing foam or anything. I left them normal.

BTW, that vest is awesome. I don't know if I can manage an accurate jacket/trench, but I may have a go at making a vest.

My spats look almost just like that. I had to get them made in time for Halloween. I didn't use any backing foam or anything. I left them normal.

BTW, that vest is awesome. I don't know if I can manage an accurate jacket/trench, but I may have a go at making a vest.

Thanks, MrSouthpaw. I wish I had more time to spend on the spats, but they worked ok.
Well, I finished the costume as best I could. I left some things out due to time. The vest was the main thing I wanted to make sure looked as accurate and well-made as possible, and I think I achieved that. There's still some things I would tweak, and I still would have liked to have access to a sewing machine, but overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. Of course when I wore the costume last night, barely anyone knew who I was supposed to be. I got a lot of "Han Solo," which I had expected. Part of the reason I didn't make the Walkman and headphones is I figured people would think I was Marty McFly.
2014-10-31 10.41.19.jpg
2014-10-31 16.33.18.jpg

Yeah, no one knew who I was either.
Han Solo, Malcolm Reynold's, Flash Gordon, "A bounty Hunter?", Boba Fett.

I did get to practice my "Star-Lord" "Who?" "Man Star-Lord the Legendary Outlaw." routine....like a whole lot.

Here's what I admire most about you, @Bloop - your tenacity. NO SEWING MACHINE? This looks incredible! Regarding not having people know what you were dressed as, I get it. I was out picking up a last minute bag of candy yesterday afternoon wearing my Star Lord Jacket with the headphones and gloves, (and the orb for fun), and when I commented at the register how nobody knew what I was dressed as, I heard a guy to my right say, "I know; Your Star Lord, Man!" I looked over at him, lowered my brow with a smirk and said "Finally!"

Worth it.

Also, we all missed the step where you adhered the metal greeblies - e6000? welding torch? A lick and a promise? I seem to remember a PM with me where you mentioned how you made them, too, but I had long since cleaned out my in box. Where those scrap bits or did you meticulously cut each out out by hand?

...I would tweak, and I still would have liked to have access to a sewing machine...
View attachment 398243

Last edited:

Here's what I admire most about you, @Bloop - your tenacity. NO SEWING MACHINE? This looks incredible! Regarding not having people know what you were dressed as, I get it. I was out picking up a last minute bag of candy yesterday afternoon wearing my Star Lord Jacket with the headphones and gloves, (and the orb for fun), and when I commented at the register how nobody knew what I was dressed as, I heard a guy to my right say, "I know; Your Star Lord, Man!" I looked over at him, lowered my brow with a smirk and said "Finally!"

Worth it.

Also, we all missed the step where you adhered the metal greeblies - e6000? welding torch? A lick and a promise? I seem to remember a PM with me where you mentioned how you made them, too, but I had long since cleaned out my in box. Where those scrap bits or did you meticulously cut each out out by hand?

Thanks again, I appreciate the compliments! As for the greeblies, I mentioned a few posts ago that I was planning on using this metal duct tape:
k2-_9794d2e4-b35c-4b56-bffc-38090827d00d.v1.jpg
It's similar to aluminum foil, but thicker, and has and adhesive backing. You just peel off the paper and apply it. I did go for the shortcut of just using a few layers of the tape and just sticking all the greeblies onto the vest with just the tape's adhesive to hold it on. It's not permanent by any means, but the tape is reasonably sticky and adhered to the leather pretty well. I was originally thinking of using the tape by applying it to card stock or styrene to make it more sturdy, then glue it on with super glue or e6000. But time was a factor, so I went the quicker route. I can always peel all the medals off and redo them in the future with a more permanent method.

I had also sanded the metal foil tape slightly to take the shine down and give it a brushed metal finish before cutting out the pieces. I used my greeblie template that I posted earlier in this thread and taped the printout on top of the prepared metal tape, and cut out the pieces with an exacto knife and scissors. I decided not to try cutting all the equal sign loooking medals (=) in half, again for time and also because it would have been harder to apply each half separately. So I just made indents in the center and painted in a black line.

I used black acrylic paint to weather the medals, dry brushing them to look aged. I should have used enamel, as the acrylic will rub off fairly easily. But it made it through the party unscathed, so it's not too bad.

I may keep working on the costume. I'm not a cosplayer, but I do get the chance to dress up for a lot of costume parties throughout the year. Plus, Id like to get some more wear out of this costume, considering how long I spent on it! And hopefully more people will know who Star Lord is once the movie comes out on video. And there's always the sequel!

Thanks again, I appreciate the compliments! As for the greeblies, I mentioned a few posts ago that I was planning on using this metal duct tape:
View attachment 398756
.... hopefully more people will know who Star Lord is once the movie comes out on video. And there's always the sequel!

More helpful than you know, man, thanks! And yes, I'm aiming toward the sequel to wear mine, but by then, I'll have the whole thing finished...Trench, Vest, all the props, etc...

Just wanted to pop in and mention that Awesome Mix Vol. 1 is free today on Google Play Music, for anyone that wants it. It goes back up to full price tomorrow.
The only song I wish they had on the soundtrack, especially since John C. Riley was in the movie, is Dewey Cox's rendition of "Starman." Whenever they were onscreen together, I kept wanting him to break out in song. I can only hope they add it to Awesome Mix Vol. 2.
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2Va7ruWgg#[/video]

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back