Star Destroyer rattle can color question

Isn't it Jason who used it on its Red 4 as a base color but it came out way darker then the cap color was? That's what I wanted to use at first for my Red 5 but his pics convinced me otherwise!

I think GF used Krylon white primer as the base color of his RC Destroyer and it really came out beautiful!!! Then some paneling finished the job! ;)

Panelling is when you mask off small sections and spray them with a slightly different shade. In the case of the SD, usually a little darker. It just gives a bit of variation to the all over white. You can see it on ref pics and if you look at the build threads here, it'll give you some idea of what to do.

Cheers

Phil

How about Tamiya insignia white, it has a hint of grey, think Neil used it on the shuttle, would that be too grey?

lee

The original filming models are VERY white. You want the ship to be as white as possible while still picking up the details. An undercoat of gray (I use a medium-to-dark grey) will do this by acting like a wash without actually doing a wash, which would not look good at all on a star destroyer.

Look at the before and after photos I posted on my thread, "Star Destroyer #3," especially of the docking bay. Notice how the details are much more defined after painting it this way.

I've painted three Star Destroyers, and believe me, Tamiya paints are the best. The others leave a bumpy texture, while the Tamiya paints are smooth as glass.

Agree with Rick on the Tamiya finish, using it on my Probe droid and its wonderful stuff, but yes, not so easy to get a hold of from time to time, some colors here in the UK, can be out of stock for months at a time.

lee

Agree with Rick on the Tamiya finish, using it on my Probe droid and its wonderful stuff, but yes, not so easy to get a hold of from time to time, some colors here in the UK, can be out of stock for months at a time.

lee

It might be picking up now. The last two times I went to the local store within the last two weeks, they had restocked the Tamiya paints both times.

Ease Owyeung (the awesome guy who painted the original TESB model) told me they used rattle cans of flat white over a gray primer then they aged the model with different shades of gray.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back