ST:TNG Geordi LaForge Visor - Finished & Signed, pics in post #21

Re: ST:TNG Geordi LaForge Visor

Well, Levar was pretty cool. Only got to talk to him for a few minutes, but he seemed to really like that they were 3d printed. We're going back tomorrow to see him and Jonathan Frakes on stage. Sounds like it will be pretty funny....

I decided not to add the circular attachment points mostly because I ran out of time. Also, the clear coat muted the chrome paint quite badly, which sucks because the chrome paint would rub off to a dark grey if you breathed on it too hard. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Anyway, here's the pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2862.JPG
    IMG_2862.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 3,457
Last edited:
Awesome! That's great work. You followed through with your plan.
Great job. And Levar Burton seems like a really cool person also.
That's quite a collectible you now have.

What's your next project?

Not exactly sure what my next project will be. I've always wanted a BSG Season 1 blaster, might have to do that. Also, there's a group of people building DIY laser cutter, and I could really use one of those. If you're interested in that, check out buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs

I'm open to suggestions for projects, by the way...

Also, I added a pic of Mr. Burton signing the visor to post #21.

Yeah clear coating a chrome paint is pretty much impossible.. I would suggest an outdoor water based sealer. Ive used it with success but its still prone to flaking. Laquer based destroys the mirror finish because it breaks it down when applied.

Awesome! The only thing that would have made him autographing it any better is if he was wearing a Reading Rainbow shirt.
;)

Yeah! He actually was promoting the release of the Reading Rainbow Ipad/phone release. I don't have anything with iOS, but I'm sure it's cool. He was talking about how the current generation of kids are "digital natives" and they will respond really well to an app, vs. a TV show. I think it's a pretty cool idea, and he said they're still emphasizing books, but it has video stuff too...

Yeah clear coating a chrome paint is pretty much impossible.. I would suggest an outdoor water based sealer. Ive used it with success but its still prone to flaking. Laquer based destroys the mirror finish because it breaks it down when applied.

Hrm... So, is it just a matter of getting a high quality chrome paint? For example, I've seen a few t-800 heads that look awesome! I could get the chrom to look really good, but it would discolor it anything touched it.

Great job sharing it with everyone! People will love it for years to come =)
I hope so! I would love to see other people make it too!

Huge congrats on the build and the signing ! Bet it feels mega-:cool (y)thumbsup
It does feel pretty cool. He seemed to like it.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Just to clarify, the finished part that you see in post 21 was a far cry from how it came off the printer. I spent way more time sanding, filling, priming and resanding than I did printing... Shapeways could probably get close to a finished, but it would still need to be sanded. 3d printing is awesome, but it's not quite perfect yet...

I used a sketch I found on here for the basic shape of the top and bottom, but the other stuff was referenced from several photos. I can't seem to find the sketch again, but it was on graph paper. It's too small to fit me, but it fits the foam head pretty well. I just used it 1:1 and traced it in CAD, I assumed it was scanned and saved 1:1, and it came out pretty well.

Thanks!

I used a sketch I found on here for the basic shape of the top and bottom, but the other stuff was referenced from several photos. I can't seem to find the sketch again, but it was on graph paper. It's too small to fit me, but it fits the foam head pretty well. I just used it 1:1 and traced it in CAD, I assumed it was scanned and saved 1:1, and it came out pretty well.

Thanks!

Hi DrewSmith007, the templates could be mine. Way back in the late 1980s I built my very first one from cardboard., but then I switched to PVC hardfoam which is much more comfortable to wear.

A new VISOR is in progress, the single parts are already sanded, but so far I didn't find the time to finish it.

Keep on trekking

Dietrich

ya of course you got featured! The people here on the RPF are really talented and the MakerBot people have a great eye for talent. It's cool that you have found the source for the reference designs... The best thing to do would be for Cmdr.Kerner to upload the .pdf files to thingiverse.com and then have you mark your model as a derivative of his. =)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back