SS ESB Millennium Falcon info and building thread

By the way forgot to say- DLT9- thanks for opening this thread it's opened my eyes for the way to go...

Good luck with your build, would love to see the build progress...

Jay

Thanks to anyone's kind word and help!

I want it as accurate as possible,kepping in mind that whatever you do it wont be 100% the same as the real deal.

I'm looking for some kits as we speak,did some of the kits on the list in my modeling career.
Identified some more parts on the Lotus JPS MKIII on the instuctions i still have,but need to check it in real life aswel.
I will contact my father who's also a builder if he still has the instructions of the Tyrell 1/20 he made for me when i was little.
Try to get my hands on some styrene or ABS sheets to start building after having a good template.

My intention is to try and cast the parts that are aible to be casted to save some money and to help out fellow builders.
I thought i read somewhere in a thread that indeed the entex parts used are casted by someone.
As for my wife,i was sure that an MR would be cheaper but she said if you build one then you made it youreself and you dont need to spend a whole lot of money at once plus you'll get better at what youre doing.

I WILL EDIT MY FIRST POST WITH ANY LINKS OF INTREST REGARDING THE SS FALCON

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, and Hi to DLT9. Glad you started this thread and hope that you will build your own falcon. it's very challenging, but rewarding too.
All Frank said is true, and as his quote added to my build thread reads..."welcome to the what the F*%$ was I thinking club"...very true.:lol
I'm looking at mine now and thinking how the hell will I ever get this finished.?:wacko
I had the artwork in the fine moulds kit enlarged up to the SS length. I found that it won't work out exactly to give you the diameter of the dish though. This needs more calculations.
The enlargement's not 100% accurate but I found it useful to see it at fullsize.
I cut the mandibles off the enlargement and using some measurements a kind member here had supplied to me, taped them back on with the toe-in, to see what it looked like.:love This was before Helder had posted his dims up.

I'm also hoping that this enlargement will help in working out the radiuses of the armour plates when...or if, I ever get to that, it's a loooooong way off that part tho..

I used the measurements I had, and the Fine moulds enlargement to draw up a plan for cutting out the main shape from styene. You need to take into account that the circular part of this shape is a smaller diameter than the finished size. This is because there is the dish skin overhang, and the armour plating overhang to add afterwards to make up the full finished diameter.(1/35th matilda needed to work out dish skin overhang)
All this is only a small part of whole thing....

Then there's the ribs..and more ribs..

Micromark do some very useful tools for this build, a large compass, and some attachments for a yard stick to draw and cut out even bigger circles.

But Don't let all this put you off !

Cheers

Phil

I'm accually pretty motivated to do this,and i'm at the right place to get advice.
Also have my modelers club to help out where they can.

I there a substitute for the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V?
Just lost the bid yesterday.

I will do the same with my artwork from the FM falcon.
What's the ratio? FM size X3?

DLT9

- Airfix I believe are re-releasing the Saturn V 1/144 here in the UK this year, I'm sure the model will make it to the US too. If not and if some require it I can get a few when it's released and send them over.

Jay.

DLT9

- Airfix I believe are re-releasing the Saturn V 1/144 here in the UK this year, I'm sure the model will make it to the US too. If not and if some require it I can get a few when it's released and send them over.

Jay.

I from belgium so shipping wouldn't be that much can i can you post a link to the saturn or is it in a local shop?

I'm still in the middle of some biddings but i'll keep the saturn in mind.

No it's just what I hear from Hornby - owners of Airfix - they plan to re-issue the Saturn V kit, it's not out just yet. Will let you know when it comes out..

DLT9, just thought I'd mention the first link you've posted in your first post is of the ANH Falcon, not the TESB version.
I wish you luck with your project!

Frank - if the kit ever comes together I will without a doubt want one.
The possibilites really have me excited. I'd probably go mad with a build such as this, although not strictly a replica of the SS model, I'd add the landing lights around the bottom of the saucer, a detailed cockpit with fibre optics and scratch build the blaster tunnels with seats and control yokes.

Oh,i didn't know the thanks.

I want to install lighting in the cockpit and engine,a bit like the MR one only without the dull white sheet.

The fist kit is in the house!
A Hasegawa 1/72 Sherman m-4(a3e8).
But can't really make out what part(s) were used.
I thinks the upper hull but not sure.

DLT9,
there are no Hasegawa Sherman parts on the 32" Falcon, as far as i know ?!
The 1/72 Airfix Sherman is the one you need. Four of it (or casts)

Hmmm, since the Airfix Sherman is the only Sherman that is used on the falcon.. i think no.

btw: good kit's to start are the Tamiya 1/20 Tyrrell 6 wheeler or the Hasegawa Mörser Karl, they have a lot of parts for the Falcon.
But you should consider to cast parts otherwise you have to buy the 1/20 6 wheeler several times.

Hmmm, since the Airfix Sherman is the only Sherman that is used on the falcon.. i think no.

btw: good kit's to start are the Tamiya 1/20 Tyrrell 6 wheeler or the Hasegawa Mörser Karl, they have a lot of parts for the Falcon.
But you should consider to cast parts otherwise you have to buy the 1/20 6 wheeler several times.

Well i won some auctions on the bay this week.
-Star Wars Blueprints ultimate collection book
-Star Wars complete visual dictionary
-Lotus MKIII JPS 1/20 and 1/12
-Ferrari 312t 1/12
-Battleship Nelson 1/700
-Airfix 1/72 panther and scorpion

I think that's it,thanks for the help i'll keep these kits inmind the next time i'm buying.
Still need to figure out where the get large styrene sheets here in belgium.
And how to create molds and what silicone to use to make them and what material i should us for casting.
:wacko

Well i won some auctions on the bay this week.
-Star Wars Blueprints ultimate collection book
-Star Wars complete visual dictionary
-Lotus MKIII JPS 1/20 and 1/12
-Ferrari 312t 1/12
-Battleship Nelson 1/700
-Airfix 1/72 panther and scorpion

I think that's it,thanks for the help i'll keep these kits inmind the next time i'm buying.
Still need to figure out where the get large styrene sheets here in belgium.
And how to create molds and what silicone to use to make them and what material i should us for casting.
:wacko

You was very busy on the bay.:thumbsup

Search for plastic wholesaler in your region, they have those big plastic sheeds, cheap too.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back