Spray booth? Y or N?

jamstraz

Hello friends, I'm sure some of you missed me. I've been in the process of moving my model shop to my attic (its got windows and is insulated/window AC too) but per model painting I have some questions for the masters.
  1. Do you need/use a spray booth for your models/parts
  2. If yes, do you use a manufactured one or a DIY?
  3. If DIY what did you use
    • Cardboard, furnace filter and box fan
    • Wood, bathroom fan, charcoal filter
    • Plastic bin with a computer intake fan
    • Other.
The room in my attic isn't finished but I'd like to keep paint from the drywall, so asking for what you all use...if anything

Hello friends, I'm sure some of you missed me. I've been in the process of moving my model shop to my attic (its got windows and is insulated/window AC too) but per model painting I have some questions for the masters.
  1. Do you need/use a spray booth for your models/parts
  2. If yes, do you use a manufactured one or a DIY?
  3. If DIY what did you use
    • Cardboard, furnace filter and box fan
    • Wood, bathroom fan, charcoal filter
    • Plastic bin with a computer intake fan
    • Other.
The room in my attic isn't finished but I'd like to keep paint from the drywall, so asking for what you all use...if anything

I got me 2 of this...

Whatever happened to the big Artograph 1530? I really wanted to get one, but with the prices hovering over $400 last time I saw it, I could probably build one myself for far cheaper.

Living in CO, a spray booth is quite handy, especially in the winter months.

I bought one of these Paasche booths years ago. It's on the higher end of the price range, but it's pretty durable. They have different sizes available if you're looking for something bigger.

Sean

1. Yes.
2. DIY
3. Kitchen exhaust hood with hose/tube through the wall to the outside

20200101_135033.jpg

Whatever happened to the big Artograph 1530? I really wanted to get one, but with the prices hovering over $400 last time I saw it, I could probably build one myself for far cheaper.

That's the one I got about 10 years ago and it was in the $200 range and also on sale. There's no way I'd pay what they want now, I'd just build one. It does work really well though.

Right now - cardboard box, furnace filter, box fan. Soon - plywood construction... furnace filters, 2 box fans... on wheels!

Cheers
Steven

No extractor fan though ???
There is a kitchen hood fan also from IKEA in the bottom I would imagine.

Here is my take. It cost some labour and time. It's a complete paintstation and with some alterations could double as an incognito self containted modeller corner (which was my original inspiration).
XIRUbC0ITX3ig9_?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg
Q19UKEyY_C2EJH0?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg
OK4GP4aqRRf1iCd?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg

Free kitchen hood and a free old computer cabinet. I added a slide out work space that is air tight. I made a filter aperture that allows for proper paintstop filters up to 50mm thick. I designed some variable fixtures for the filters in CAD yet to be installed and also daylight led strips. I added some height so it's tailored to my specs so I sit straight with a 90 degree bend at the elbows when resting them on the workspace. Ergonomics are important :D Originally I divided the space below to hold my compressor as well (giving it open air in the back too), but it's crap and the type I am looking to get will unfortunately not fit. It's my one regret. Drawers underneath hold other painting stuff and I am planning to have all my paints hanging off the doors. I made my current paint rack before I built this and it's too wide, so I'll make some new ones.

I've actually documented the build and even recorded some video, but I rarely get around to actually editing stuff. If there is interest I will make an effort.

There is a kitchen hood fan also from IKEA in the bottom I would imagine.

Here is my take. It cost some labour and time. It's a complete paintstation and with some alterations could double as an incognito self containted modeller corner (which was my original inspiration).
View attachment 1308830View attachment 1308831View attachment 1308832
Free kitchen hood and a free old computer cabinet. I added a slide out work space that is air tight. I made a filter aperture that allows for proper paintstop filters up to 50mm thick. I designed some variable fixtures for the filters in CAD yet to be installed and also daylight led strips. I added some height so it's tailored to my specs so I sit straight with a 90 degree bend at the elbows when resting them on the workspace. Ergonomics are important :D Originally I divided the space below to hold my compressor as well (giving it open air in the back too), but it's crap and the type I am looking to get will unfortunately not fit. It's my one regret. Drawers underneath hold other painting stuff and I am planning to have all my paints hanging off the doors. I made my current paint rack before I built this and it's too wide, so I'll make some new ones.

I've actually documented the build and even recorded some video, but I rarely get around to actually editing stuff. If there is interest I will make an effort.
Jealous....

I feel woefully inadequate here, I put an old sheet out on the lawn and off I go!

That´s (sort of, usually i use a old newspaper on a old table in the backyard) what i use, too - at least for spray cans.

The above shown booth is for models/airbrushing only.

I used to do the the lawn/outdoor thing, until I got a perfect finish on something I was working on and the wind kicked up and glued sand and grass to my project :cautious:(n)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back