Spidey on a budget? Is it possible? HELP NEEDED!!!

I have a few questions:

1. Would the t-shirts fray if I cut them with scissors?
2. Would it be easier/more convenient to stitch the shirts together or glue them?
3. Which material would be better for the spiders: fabric or felt? Or is there an even better option?
4. Should I glue the spiders onto the costume or stitch them?
5. Do you recommend a suitable material or method for the eye lenses? Bearing in mind that whatever I do needs to be cheap and simple, as I have no skill with moulding, etc.
Stitching would look better than glue, but if you're not good at sewing you should just glue them. I'm pretty sure they'd fray if you cut them, but I'm not entirely sure. Plastic canvas works good for the eyes, you can cut the frames out of a DVD case. I did that for my TASM2 suit and they look really good.

JDVaughan17 Thanks for the advice, according to a video I watched on YouTube the shirt shouldn’t fray when cut - just curl up a little at the edges.

If anyone's interested, I found an image of the Mangaverse Spidey on DeviantArt. In the picture you can see his grappling hook in more detail. The hook part looks a little complicated for someone of my skill set, so I've decided to stick with my original design of a length of string with a clothes hanger hook on the end.
__Spiderman___Mangaverse_by_el_kenshin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll look for some tutorial now. And by the looks of it, you can see out of the eyes without people being able to see you! Perfect!

(BTW, did you make those lenses yourself or were they made by another member of the forum?)
I made them myself.
I printed out a picture of the frames, traced it onto the flat part of the case that a DVD comes in and cut it out. Then I painted them gloss black. As I said before the white part is plastic canvas that I painted gloss white.

JDVaughan17 Thanks for the how-to. Do you think I should make a separate thread for the build progress and save this thread for discussing ideas? Or should I keep it all-in-one? If we keep it all together, the thread might get a tad crowded with all the progress photos and ideas.

@JDVaughan17 Thanks for the how-to. Do you think I should make a separate thread for the build progress and save this thread for discussing ideas? Or should I keep it all-in-one? If we keep it all together, the thread might get a tad crowded with all the progress photos and ideas.
I think just one is fine.

OK. As for the web shooters, which design do you think I should work on? I like the 90's cartoon design, but I also like the ASM designs (1&2). Or should I just go with something completely different?

OK. As for the web shooters, which design do you think I should work on? I like the 90's cartoon design, but I also like the ASM designs (1&2). Or should I just go with something completely different?
TASM1 would probably be the easiest and cheapest. Just look for some watches on clearance at stores.

something i've heard about being a great technique is cutting fabric with a soldering iron as it seals whilst cutting with the heat. i've not tried this myself but there is tons of stuff online about it.

UPDATE!!!

I started working on my web shooters at the weekend. I made the prototype from an old water pistol I found in my shed. First of all, I cracked open the plastic and retreive the innards. Here's what I got:
ATT_1407158510998_photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Then I used a rubber band to secure the nozzzle into place, just above the trigger. I made a basic sketch the other day, but it's very crude and wouldn't be worth the time it takes to upload a scan. The shooter works fine, and has a range of about 4 to 5 feet, although the trigger is extremely hard to activate, especially whilst simultaneously pulling the obligatory hand symbol. Anyway, here's a photo:
photo 3.JPG
I'll buy another water pistol and harvest some more parts from it in the coming weeks. The tube on the left (which transports water from the cartridges) is way too short and therefore half of the water is wasted. I will also be making a foam cuff so that everything sits comfortably on my wrist. After that, I'll probably lower the trigger so that it fits in the palm of my hand rather than the top.

Well, that's all for now, so leave a comment and tell me what you think! All criticism is greatly appreciated. [emoji4]
Kind regards, The14thDr [emoji3]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back