Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 03 January (PIC HEAVY!)

Cracker - I got you beat on the speed build thing. i started on mine close to 18 years ago!!! :)

What on earth were you using for reference back then??? That ws pretty much pre Internet for the average joe Bloggs...

LOL 8perf I do hope it doesn't take me that long. But yeah what were you using? Let me guess - pause-play-pause-play on Betamax or VHS? I used to do that holding a ruler against the tv screen. But come to think of it, "18 years ago" wasn't that long ago really. It sounds like "the 80's" but that would've just been 1994-95. Hey Bob, thanks, I'll take it nice and slow and I'll need to review all your build photos from the very beginning. Darren, I'll surely need blueprints for a start - let me do some research first and I'll drop you a PM.

18 years! Man you could have built a full size Eagle in that time and a Moon base to go with it :lol.

...But come to think of it, "18 years ago" wasn't that long ago really. It sounds like "the 80's" but that would've just been 1994-95...

That came up on Christmas Eve here. I was at a friend's house, and for "background entertainment" he had on his DVD of The Homecoming: A Christmas Story. You know, the movie which begat The Waltons. In the ending voiceover by Earl Hamner (that of a grown-up John Boy), he mentions his "warm memories of that Christmas thirty years ago".

I got to thinking that if it were re-made from the perspective of John-Boy being an adult now, the story in the movie would've taken place in the early 80's! You would've seen stuff like Jason or Jim-Bob with Duran Duran posters on their bedroom walls!

My point is that "now" is such a transitory concept. It can be kind of shocking at times to realize just when things happened! As you say, it really wasn't that long ago...and yet in other ways it is. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but the whole concept has been fascinating for me lately.

Now, I've got something else to think about: why does spell-check recognize one 'Duran', but not the other? :confused

Yeah, I look back on things and realize that my "formative years" were ALL pre-internet. At 45, I feel like a relic sometimes when trying to explain something to the kids of this day.
As for blueprints, They started off with a sort of nice set that was inside a "Starlog" magazine. Later realized they were not as accurate as they should have been, so scraped what was wrong and started over.
As an aside, anyone needing blueprints, I have come across a nice 3D "Sketchup" model that I have been using for some of my stuff. Tweeked a few things here and there and re=drawn a few bits that were wrong, but overall a nice start.

I know what you mean, 8 p. It is tough when dealing with young people. When I'm trying to describe or explain something, I always try to use the other parson's frame of reference for maximum impact and visualization. I'm not about to simply 'drop a name'...that's both useless and insulting to them , as well as making me look (or at least feel!) like a fool. I guess we're learning what generations of people learned before us. But what floors me, is how 'this time' in our lives seemed to simply just "happen" one day! :confused

Anyhow, a small update before we go completely off the rails here! :wacko

I attached five-inch 1/4 x 20 bolts to the engine bells. The bolt head inside the bells will be hidden later when I add the interior gobbledygook inside them.
View attachment 136015View attachment 136016
My fishing bobber fuel tanks are more problematic. I figured the center "tube" would be too narrow to accommodate the bolts, so when I drilled the end holes, the center simply fell away. This is okay, since that center shaft no longer served any real structural purpose.
View attachment 136017
The problem (if you want to call it that) is that the center section of the solid (gray) tank is rattling around inside. That's not an issue, really...but it's going to bother me if I pick the model up or move it, that piece will rattle around in there. I may try to get a drop of glue in through the end drill holes, and get that dang thing to adhere to the inside!
View attachment 136018
More to come. I'm suddenly very glad I didn't complete the other fuel tanks yet, otherwise they'd all have rattly insides! :unsure

Nothing her is permanently attached yet, by the way: I suspect these components will have to be painted prior to final assembly.

They look good LMFAO.

Thanks, Ray!
Right now I'm struggling (well, maybe not exactly struggling) with what to do. I pick up that bolt with the gray tank, and it sounds like picking up a baby rattle! I was able to get the smaller pieces of plastic out the end holes, but the large center tube remains. I tried dripping some glue through the hole (to cement the tube in place), but the trouble there is that I can't see what I'm doing! I really don't want to break off a side panel to correct something that isn't really all that important...I was an idiot not to foresee this. :behave

Maybe someone among the collective genius here will have an idea! :)

Rattle update:

Well, it seems I was successful in cementing that loose plastic in place! :cool

The only problem now is a much smaller piece clanking around in there. That, I believe, will be much easier to remove...it seems quite small!

Whew!

Does the rattle tube, inside have a smaller diameter than the hole each end of the tank?

Glad to hear it! :)

That is a majorly great update BTW! You are suddenly going to overtake me and leave me out to pasture...

Glad to hear it! :)

That is a majorly great update BTW! You are suddenly going to overtake me and leave me out to pasture...

Thanks, Darren. I seriously I'll leave anyone in the dust. Too much good stuff in here for that!

All I know right now is that I'm happy not to have a rattly spaceship! :)

Thanks, Darren. I seriously I'll leave anyone in the dust. Too much good stuff in here for that!

All I know right now is that I'm happy not to have a rattly spaceship! :)

No one can hear you rattle in space.......what was that noise? :eek

Wow, I can't believe how bad my typing is getting. That should say, "I seriously doubt I'll leave anybody in the dust."

Ever since I got this new keyboard, I seem to leave a popcorn trail of typos and missing words!

(umm, yeah...that does sound like 'blaming my tools', doesn't it?) :lol

I had to show some of my dinky ufo's restored and painted to studio style :)

Hey, those Interceptors look great, wotz! :thumbsup
If you read the early parts of this thread, you'll see that I was considering building one! Great-looking little ship, easily one of my favorites! :thumbsup

Let's continue with these fuel tanks, shall we? :)
This time around, I'm not going to paint myself into a rattly corner by sealing them up before having to remove the insides. So, I drilled the holes in the ends to accommodate the bolt. With the center shaft now separated from everything via the drilling, it will be a relatively simple matter to remove it.
View attachment 136453View attachment 136454View attachment 136455
You can see here the separated shaft floating around in there. Since it's too long to fall out on its own, I grabbed and shattered it with pliers. Then I shook the pieces out.
View attachment 136456View attachment 136457View attachment 136458View attachment 136459
This fishing bobber plastic will hold up fine on the model, but it is susceptible to easily cracking if too much stress is applied. So I gingerly started threading the bolt into the hole. The moment I heard a small 'crack' sound, I backed the bolt out and slightly enlarged the hole with an exacto knife to remove a bit more plastic. Then, the bolt went through nicely, forming a bit of thread in the plastic for the bolt to travel through. The bolt went through the other side nicely.
View attachment 136460View attachment 136461
Now, all I have to do is locate the last half-sphere of fishing bobber to complete the last tank. I seem to have misplaced it! :confused

I just noticed that another nice thing about Darren's wonderful "Alphanauts" is that not only will they add life to the build, they also provide a nice sense of scale!
View attachment 136475
Oh, and to make a correction, these tanks I'm working on I think are technically 'magnetic bottles', not fuel tanks.
Good thing I'm not building the real thing, eh? Can anyone say 'Challenger accident? :confused

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back