Small Soldiers - Chip Hazard and Archer

Hahaha, this movie was so cheesy and cool at the same time. I was 7 when it came out...great memories. lol

I used to have a battle-damaged Archer. Don't know if I still have it or not.

That box artwork is absolutely phenomenal! Loving the detail :D

Just started repainting one of my two Talking Archers. I obviously chose the the one that had some paint chipping. Just realized I had little paint left so all thats done at the moment is the feet and shins! I'll need to take a trip to the Games Workshop and stock back up.

I'll post a picture of the finished thing (which may be a couple of weeks). I can tell he's going to look great in one of Mr Kevin's boxes! :lol

I've also taken note of the paints I'm using, so you guys know what to buy if you decide to try it yourselves.

- Cheers.

PS: I'm using the Japanese statue pictures as reference.

Just started repainting one of my two Talking Archers. I obviously chose the the one that had some paint chipping. Just realized I had little paint left so all thats done at the moment is the feet and shins! I'll need to take a trip to the Games Workshop and stock back up.

I'll post a picture of the finished thing (which may be a couple of weeks). I can tell he's going to look great in one of Mr Kevin's boxes! :lol

I've also taken note of the paints I'm using, so you guys know what to buy if you decide to try it yourselves.

- Cheers.

PS: I'm using the Japanese statue pictures as reference.

I look forward to seeing this. I have two talking Chip Hazards (one with Tommy Lee Jones' voice) and I am trying to decide whether to repaint one or both of them. I'll do Archer next.

It'd be good to carve off Chip's dog tag and replace it with an accurate metal one. Can anybody here make them?

I had two Chips as well, and one I tried to paint was my an early go at painting. As you guessed, it didn't turn out well, and now he's somewhere in a landfill site! (That was a waste of £12)! :lol

But I've had a fair bit of practice since then and Archers certainly going to look the part.

As for you, I recommend painting just one. They're hard to come by these days, and it would be nice to see a repainted (more accurate one) next to the original Hasbro toy. Just my opinion, the decision is yours!

Archer Repaint Update (Pics Below)

So I just got started on Archer today. I managed to take him apart (that was not easy), and began working on the shins and feet.

I still need to paint the knee-pads on the shin area and the claws on the feet. Once each area is done, I'll seal it with paint sealant.

I know the brown paint on the feet is far too dark, buts theres not much I can do now its dried. The colour on the paint tub was much lighter, but once applied it turned very dark (darn you Citadel Paints)! Its still a big improvement, and I like how the green on the shins turned out.

So, I'll be painting the rest of the figures skin in a lighter tone, and hopefully the feet won't stand out too much.

- I'll keep you posted! (Dave)

Nice to see someone else tackling a full repaint DarkGameGeek. :thumbsup Be sure to use as many reference pictures as possible when you're looking at colours for different parts - I'm not sure that there's much green on Archer's shins, and you could always paint over the top of those too-dark feet.

Oh yeah, there's also this pic that might be closer to what you were looking for Kevin (not an original promo shot though):

14989_0907_4_lg.jpg

Thanks, Howlrunner!

The camera I used isn't the best, but I did get the green pretty accurate. I'll take a shot of it in daylight. As for the feet,I will paint over them, but it was good practice for the rest of the figure! :lol

May I ask (if you remember) some of the paints you used? More specifically the ones for the skin tone.

Thanks!

Quick update. I haven't managed to do much with this. I'm pretty busy at the moment.

boxback.jpg

The white text across the bottom is illegible. It probably says "available from ..." (all good stockists?) but I like the promotional strap line from the in store point of sale in the film, so that's what I used.

I've built the Heartland/Globotech logo from scratch.

I need to come up with some text for the pink box. I know that it needs to includ esomething about a built-in two way radio leading up to "Buy a second commando and communicate with a friend." because Dick Miller reads that bit out.

Nice work, Kevin! Looking forward to seeing the finished thing!

I wish they would release the film on Blu-Ray, maybe then the illegible text could be seen better. But the "Everything else is just a toy" is still great. Its weird because thats the official motto but it doesn't appear on the packaging!

Anyway, still fits brilliant, keep em' update coming!

Well, I started work on the box art towards the end of last year. Really it should be the work of three or four weeks at most, but I'm doing it around my main job. Couple that with the fact that there are only three or four of us who are interested and it is not at the top of my list of priorities. I haven't done any more ot it since I last posted. I am thinking about it, though. I am planning the engineering to make it strong and as rigid as possible to support the figure.

Did you get the email I sent you?
Hi Kevin,
Oh my gosh I am more stupid than I thought! I lost this thread by bookmarking it and didn't see all the chatting going on until today! grrr
ah, but you gottta laugh, at least I do! Anyhow, great work on those boxes and the attention to detail. We just got back from a trip out West so I'm still suffering jetlag here, but was good to finally see your still pecking away at them at your spare time.
Email ? Where did you send it ? Seems I can't find that here, or did I reply to that and just forget ?
Thanks!
~Rita

I'm going to be working on my Archer repaint again soon, just been busy. I'm going to redo the legs, try and get a better match paint wise. The paint peels off easily when its not sealed so I'm just going to leave the pieces in some boiled water overnight. I'm also going to be working on my Small Soldiers display once my rooms been plastered and painted. I'll upload some pics once its all done. :D

Email ? Where did you send it ? Seems I can't find that here, or did I reply to that and just forget ?
Thanks!
~Rita

Hi Rita. If you click on your forum name it opens up a menu which includes the option to send you a message or an email. The email option is normally only there when somebody has registered an email address. That's what I used.

Linking to live auctions is against forum rules and my email was to point you at a few Chip Hazard auctions that were happening that you might have missed.

I have a working electronic bank with Chip and Archer on it. Picked it up at a garage sale about 5 yrs ago. Both characters move and talk. I would love to find more from this movie.

Alex

Last edited:
Hello there everyone My name is Michael:rolleyes I Am a Huge Fan of Small soldiers! I and made 2 videos( its on my cliffjumperprime2 account) on youtube showing New Gorgonites and Commandos for Alan j.Schoolcarft and Brent Simmon`s upcoming sequal to Small Soldiers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back