Small On/Off Switch

Pyrotechx

Hey there,

I am currently in the process of hooking up LEDs in a Identity Disc for my Tron costume. I want to put a small button on the disc that I can use to turn on and off the disc. I have decided to use a 4 pronged button like this:

dust-drip-proof.jpg

The left one. Anyways, I am VERY confused on what prongs are what since there is no diagram explaining it. I know there has to be a ground, acc, and power, but no idea what is what.

Any ideas? I have never messed with buttons with 4 prongs before.

I've used them alot before, just need to hook it up with alligator clips to your circuit until you figure out which one is what, and then solder appropriately.

I used to use these a lot when I was younger. If memory serves, each set of diagonals will work. If its a push- on/ push-off type of thing, one set is likely normally open, meaning you push the button to close the circuit and turn on your device, while the other is normally closed, pushing the switch will turn off your device.

I used to use these a lot when I was younger. If memory serves, each set of diagonals will work. If its a push- on/ push-off type of thing, one set is likely normally open, meaning you push the button to close the circuit and turn on your device, while the other is normally closed, pushing the switch will turn off your device.

So basically I will cut one wire and hook it up to one corner and then the other side diagonally? Then there will be a ground and power line?

I think I'm over thinking this.

Yep. You're over thinking it. :) Basicly its a simple on/ off switch. Try this. get a battery, a bulb and two wires. Make a series circuit from one pole on the switch to + end of the battery, then - end of battery to one side of bulb and other side of bulb to diagonal pole of switch. There is no separate power or ground in a simple circuit like this. Technically, the negative side of the battery IS a "ground."
This is what I think you have.

00097.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back