Silicone prosthetic help required..

CosmicJulie

Is there a thread for how to pull off a silicone prosthetic cast for the first time?
I'm needing to reproduce my Hellboy prosthetic (includes forehead, brows and stubby horns) as my latex one has had it's day...
Never created one before and am unaware of the process. Can you point me in the right direction?!
Is silicone actually what I should be using? hellboy icon.jpg any tips on getting a really good red skin tone would be very much appreciated too!

You've got a couple options. Some cheaper than others, but it really depends on what your going for. Silicone will give you good translucency but will be more expensive and requires special paints. Foam latex though it requires an oven to cure off all the moisture it is the best in my opinion. It is flexible and move well its breathable and can be painted with many things. Really comes down to how much you want to spend and what kind of time you've got. You will need to start with some kind of form. Whether it be a lifecast of yourself or an armature from a company. Lifecast is the best route if you have the cash because it will fit perfectly to your face like a second skin. Also most forms that companies sell are plastic and will likely not hold up to the heat of an oven, if you choose to go the foam route.

Prosthetic appliances made of Foam Latex or a gel-filled silicone look fantastic and move extremely well. However, they usually do not hold up well for multiple applications. In all actuality, for a forehead piece latex might be one of your better options in terms of durability. Dragon Skin from SmoothOn also may work as a very durable finished piece.

All of the products mentioned can be tinted red, however you will still need to blend the piece into your face with additional red make-up.

I think you're best option would be to get a lifecast of yourself made and just resculpt the appliance. Mould it with your preferred gypsum and make a foam latex piece.
If you're dead set on silicone I'd recommend the same process because making a cast of a latex appliance will almost certainly look horrendous. You won't get those thin edges and it will never sit quite right.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back