Wrong silicone for head cast

UncleSi

Hey all. I've recently started a mask project and wanted to start with a full headcast first. Pretty standard two part mold affair. Unfortunately i completely goofed and bought the wrong silicone. I got a slow platinum silicone with a cure time of 3-4 hours. Don't get me wrong, the test strip on the back of my hand turned out to be amazing in quality, but not really workable for a headcast.
My question is, would adding a thickening agent and an accelerator be worth it, or should i just accept my losses and get the correct high viscosity, fast working silicone instead?

What silicone is it?
The 3-4 hours curing time does not seem so long (do you mean working time or pot life perhaps?). There are longer curing time silicones. That it´s slow does not necessarily mean it´s no good for making a brush up mold (I understand you´re after this kind of mold).
My question is, would adding a thickening agent and an accelerator be worth it, or should i just accept my losses and get the correct high viscosity, fast working silicone instead?
Some silicones do well with thickening agents and some don´t. A very low viscosity silicone will give problems thickening or might not thicken at all. So we should know what silicone you have exactly.

What silicone is it?
The 3-4 hours curing time does not seem so long (do you mean working time or pot life perhaps?). There are longer curing time silicones. That it´s slow does not necessarily mean it´s no good for making a brush up mold (I understand you´re after this kind of mold).

Some silicones do well with thickening agents and some don´t. A very low viscosity silicone will give problems thickening or might not thicken at all. So we should know what silicone you have exactly.
The Silicone i have is bbdino super elastic silicone. Very low viscosity unfortunately. 3-4 working time, with just under 2 hours working time till a second layer can be added

Never used it and can´t see a tech bulletin but it says it´s a 0030 shore silicone, like ecoflex0030. So most probably no good with thickeners, and accelerators wouldn´t make much sense in my opinion. The only other option with this silicone would be making a cavity pour mold as I see it. Don´t know if you are familiar with that process.
Didn´t know about this silicone anyway, interesting prices. Just asked them for a tech bulletin of the product, can´t see it anywhere in the site. Is it a Chinese company?

Don't know if it's a chinese company, but if i find out anymore info i'll post it here. Not a massive loss as i have found a separate use for it, just not the one originally intended. Thanks for the advice!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back