SiliCon San Jose is Back

Cant wait to finally get back to a Con! I was excited when I heard last year Adam was taking over, and I cant wait to finally see his take on the contention. Looking forward to getting more details about the con, anyone know how to recommend guests for it? Idk If they have finalized everything yet or not but would love to suggest some that i know would be interested. Im also hoping adam will be debuting that mk 1 suit he's been working on. As seeing it back in 2015 when he first got to was why i started putting my own suit together

This is great news. The way California is trending with Covid there might be little in the way of restrictions by then.

SiliCon has been on my wish list of Cons to visit. This will be the year!

I think the Mk1 is the coolest Iron Man suit and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Last edited:
Done and dusted!

Staying at Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown which is a short walk to the Convention Center.

EDIT: Uproar Brewing is shown as "permanently closed".

Last edited:
You might want to check out Hapa's Brewing Company on Lincoln off of San Carlos. It is a craft brewery.

There are no restaurants in the area. Call ahead to check on the food trucks.

EDIT:

The closest walking distance from the Convention Center, and also a far bigger selection, is

Original Gravity Public House Original Gravity Public House

which is a 10 minute walk.

Only a tad further is Camino Brewing but they have a very limited selection, and the food seems to be a food truck.

I'm driving in Friday, have a Saturday-only ticket, driving back Sunday. The ticket was only $35 (due to my age).

Now the question is, what character to do? My hotel is close enough for a mid-day change, maybe I'll do two cosplays.

I'll have to keep an eye out for meetup info.

Last edited:
Yes! Friday night meetup is great. Just tell me where and when. I would prefer it within walking distance of the Convention Center, though I can always Uber.

Uproar Brewery sounds good, around back?...Dr J ... you know where that’s at, never been there, I usually hang in Tang at the Marriott... but brewery sounds good....anyone else game!!! RPF meetup!

When I checked their website, it said that Uproar was "permanently closed".

The two closest options are Original Gravity Public House and Camino Brewing.

Of the two I think I would vote for Gravity because it's the closest place and it has a wider variety of beers. It's an impressive list, the draft, canned, and bottled options taken together.

Here's the Gravity site Original Gravity Public House

I checked Camino Brewing's site and their beer list is very limited, and the food seems to be a food truck (though they don't say in so many words).

Last edited:
SiliCon is a month away and I've not received my badge.

They asked for my mailing address, so I'm guessing the mail the badges? I can't find mention of the process.

For you experienced SiliCon goers, what is the process for getting in? If they mail you your badge can you just go in any entrance? Emerald City was like that, it was great, no queue to get in whatsoever.

LA Anime Expo, on the other hand, makes everyone wait in an incredibly long queue, using a single door to get in, even though you have your badge already, and the venue has numerous doors all over the place that they don't let you use.

SiliCon is a month away and I've not received my badge.

They asked for my mailing address, so I'm guessing the mail the badges? I can't find mention of the process.

For you experienced SiliCon goers, what is the process for getting in? If they mail you your badge can you just go in any entrance? Emerald City was like that, it was great, no queue to get in whatsoever.

LA Anime Expo, on the other hand, makes everyone wait in an incredibly long queue, using a single door to get in, even though you have your badge already, and the venue has numerous doors all over the place that they don't let you use.
Over the years they have gone through a few variations for their system. One year you had to claim your badge in person (I think this was the first year) other times they have done wristbands or badges which are mailed ahead of time with lanyards available at check-in. Usually, you can enter from any gate when the badges have been sent ahead of time.

Thanks! They asked for my shipping info so it was implied that the badge or wristband would be mailed.

I just hope that the whole thing doesn't get cancelled! I'm guessing a 50/50 chance.

Got an email yesterday from SiliCon, which includes:

-"approved face coverings" must be worn

-"restricted capacity...this is a constantly shifting number...we will keep you updated."

-"everyone attending SiliCon will be required to undergo a temperature screening prior to entering"

So it could happen that I drive up there, pay for my hotel, having paid for my badge, and not be allowed in.

I've experienced those forehead thermometers giving inaccurate readings when my workplace reopened and we all had to take readings every day.

If it was hot outdoors, or if you had been walking, you might get false high readings.

Evidently Growtix doesn't do refunds, so I'm out the $40.

Better out $40 than be out hundreds of dollars of travel and hotel costs, only to be denied entrance due to a $15 thermometer.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back