Show off your MDF props!

Some of the first stuff I ever made was out of MDF - rifles, for a production I shot while I was still at school, which was in the mid-90s. MDF and chunks of 2-by-four.

However, since they were made for a final screen resolution of 320x240 - which was all I had access to in those days - they're really quite appallingly rough.

If nothing else the advent of HD has improved sales of sanding sealer. Of course many of the props on this forum are probably finished to a much higher standard than the screen-used items on which they're based, because reality isn't made of pixels.

7330881250_1de00115da_c.jpg

:D
Hey OB ,I have to say that is definitely the best HIC , I have ever seen , I always wanted one of those and I never ,have been able to get one yet.....that is one beautiful piece indeed, jawdropping, nice work

My first is pretty lame in comparison to some of the fine work here.
attachment.php

This ALIEN wall tile is laser cut from 25mm MDF, then ran through a saw to give it the beveled edges. I will use this as a buck and Vac Form a heap for my walls in my Home Cinema.

Ha! I love it! Was this for a particular project, or just for fun? Did you end up painting it?
Thanks - it was just for fun :) I did it mainly as a project to test out the DIY CNC I built. I left it unpainted (and it was subsequently claimed by the Mrs!).
I recently made another version 50% bigger. This one I primed, and ended up casting it and making resin copies (my first attempt at both). These are going to be figures for my kids (when they make up their minds on who they want them to be!).
The one on the far left is the (primed) mdf "master".

Thanks - it was just for fun :) I did it mainly as a project to test out the DIY CNC I built. I left it unpainted (and it was subsequently claimed by the Mrs!).
I recently made another version 50% bigger. This one I primed, and ended up casting it and making resin copies (my first attempt at both). These are going to be figures for my kids (when they make up their minds on who they want them to be!).
The one on the far left is the (primed) mdf "master".

That is awesome!

@ TI6185

Think this is more than one layer of MDF, are you cutting these stacked together in only one step?

I always think my scrollsaw break down by cutting more than 1cm (1/2") of MDF :love

Jepp I glue the MDF sheets together and cut it with the scrollsaw at one step.
40 mm MDF and it works :lol Just try it ! My scrollsaw from "Aldi" works perfect. I also have one more expensive...but there is no way.

here is something more of my MDF Props

HAL 9000
55d1de76.jpg

08769c5e.jpg

Book of Eli Knife
P1040223.jpg

Alice Dagger from Resident Evil
035e3df8.jpg

T-21 Blaster
IMGP4287.jpg

IMGP4289.jpg

P1040230.jpg

P1040231.jpg

Have Fun
Kai

Jepp I glue the MDF sheets together and cut it with the scrollsaw at one step.
40 mm MDF and it works :lol Just try it ! My scrollsaw from "Aldi" works perfect. I also have one more expensive...but there is no way.

Then my precision-tool (no, not from LIDL, from Einhell :love ) will do the same.

How often do you change your saw blade?

Do you sometimes dream of an Hegner-Saw? :lol

A Hegner Saw ... woow

I finish some new MDF based Props in the last week.

My Zombie Walker Killer :love

IMGP4477.jpg

IMGP4480.jpg

DC15 Blaster

IMGP4488.jpg

IMGP4490.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back