ShaunDark80's Iron Man MKVII - Previously know as Roomiest Iron Man

Re: Roomiest Iron Man

Have binned the first helmet - It collapsed, and no longer fits :(

Have printed and cut a new one. I'll make up a jig to hold everything in the right shape this time.

Has anyone tried this for the repulsor controls;

Bionic Iron Man Armor (w/ Sound Effects)

Looks pretty cool. I've ordered the parts to make one, as well as a couple of the speakers from my last post to test. I've also seen some speakers that can turn any flat surface into a speaker - I'm wondering if that could work on the chestplate.

I've also ordered some 10W LEDs, so I can have some nice bright hand repulsors, and a blinding chest repulsor.

mk7 is pretty roomy, i had lots of room in chest area, top shoulders, and behind the back for anything really.

Hi All

I made up some plates in the shape of the ear sections, and sandwiched a couple of layers of fibre glass between these. Once they were set, I clamped the helmet down on a flat surface, glues on some bamboo skewers, and pulled the helmet into the right shape. One I was happy, I did the outer resin coat, and a quick rondo inner slush, and voila;

2013-11-24 21.58.45.jpg2013-11-24 21.58.08.jpg

It's still not 100% square, but it's as close as I can get. Most importantly, the internal measurements all look good, so this should fit. I'll reinforce it with fibre glass and some carbon fibre over the next couple of days, and then crack on with smoothing the thing out. I'm eager to try it on, but don't want to crack the thing open before bondo.

Last edited:

Hi All

I made up some plates in the shape of the ear sections, and sandwiched a couple of layers of fibre glass between these. Once they were set, I clamped the helmet down on a flat surface, glues on some bamboo skewers, and pulled the helmet into the right shape. One I was happy, I did the outer resin coat, and a quick rondo inner slush, and voila;

View attachment 258621View attachment 258622

It's still not 100% square, but it's as close as I can get. Most importantly, the internal measurements all look good, so this should fit. I'll reinforce it with fibre glass and some carbon fibre over the next couple of days, and then crack on with smoothing the thing out. I'm eager to try it on, but don't want to crack the thing open before bondo.

Glad to hear somebody else uses the bamboo skewers, I use those little guys all the time :)

Have you given any thought to the Hulkbuster Armor....................THAT'S gotta have some room in it............. ;) . I'd also like to see more of that one built......but that's just a preference as I am NOT a small person.

The Hulkbuster or the Igor suits would be brilliant, but as I've started taking my family to conventions, they wouldn't be overly practical. I can't really see myself taking a three year old to the loo in a seven foot costume :)

I did another rondo slush on Monday night, and ran out of fibre glass resin, so progress was halted :(. I should get some more delivered tomorrow, so I can carry on. I did think about starting the abs while I wait, but the missus is already unhappy about the amount of space this is taking in the house (garage roof is leaking so have taken over the dining room till I can fix it this weekend).

After printing the abs, I'm really tempted to switch to foam. There are so many pieces!

Last edited:

Started strengthening the helmet this evening. It's not pretty, but I plan to add a neater layer once it's cut into pieces:

image.jpg

Hopefully I can start applying bondo over this weekend.

Cut the faceplate out, and applied the first Bondo layer - I can't believe the difference it made :)

2013-12-02 00.00.53.jpg2013-12-02 00.00.39.jpg

I'll tidy up the inside, before applying one more layer of carbon.

Where is the best place to cut the rear of the helmet? Should I remove just the lower section, the first two sections, or the first two sections with the ears?

image.jpg

Well the chest is coming along slowly, and the back is printed and cut (thank the lords of Kobol for my Cameo).

Helmet #2 is still slightly warped, so I've just ordered animefan's gorgeous 3D printed masterpiece. Just hope that the rest of the suit can do it justice when it's done.

I'll still finish my helmet, and hopefully get the faceplate signed by Stan Lee this summer.

hey, the helmet's looking good.
quick question though, you're using carbon fibre, is it particularly expensive? I considered it a while back (thought an entirely carbon suit would look stunning) but thought the cost of carbon would be mad.

hey, the helmet's looking good.
quick question though, you're using carbon fibre, is it particularly expensive? I considered it a while back (thought an entirely carbon suit would look stunning) but thought the cost of carbon would be mad.

I paid about £20 for 2 square metres, so it's a lot more expensize than glass. It's also quite tricky to work into detailed areas whilst maintaining an even pattern, so if you wanted a bare carbon look for your suit, I'd recommend sending it off to be dipped instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcdGmYexd8

Last edited:

yeah, i thought dipping might be cheaper may have ti look into it when i actually get some time and space to do a full suit build!

5133qZLrzUL__SL1500_.jpgcam.jpg

I've ordered a cheap set of video glasses and a car reversing camera to solve the visibility issues of the helmet (Even with empty eye sockets, I can only see directly in front of me, and am likely to step on children). If this method works ok, whilst still allowing the faceplate to lift, I'll look into upgrading to a higher resolution setup.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but here's the side project I'm working on for the wife's costume.

2014-04-04 08.59.43.jpg

image.jpg

Did a test paint and weather. Quite happy with the red (Fiat Racing Red), and the gold isn't terrible. Will try a few more gold paints.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back