Screen-Matched Eudorus Myrmidon Armor from Troy

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
For almost a decade (since I first saw the movie) I have loved Troy and wanted a set of Myrmidon armor. For reasons that have never been entirely clear, these costumes, along with many pieces from Troy seem to be relatively rare. I have asked Prop Store repeatedly to keep an eye out for me, but like everyone else, while they have had pieces and parts pass through their hands, they haven't come across anything like I wanted... until now. HUGE thanks to Brandon and Stephen (and a shout out to Sian and Peter) for sticking with this until they found what I wanted... and not only that, but something truly special!

All of the Myrmidon costumes are relatively the same, expect, of course for Achillies and his general; Eudorus. Not only did Prop Store find me Myrmidon armor, but they found me a set of Eudrous' armor, which is absolutely AWESOME! This is not a prop. It is leather armor... through and through. It is a tank, incredibly heavy and durable.

The VERY best part, I was able to positively match scratches in the leather to three shots in the movie, all entering around Patroclus' charge on the Trojans as well as his death scene. From what I can see, Eudorus has at least three sets of armor in the film, but it seems for at least that entire segment, he is wearing this set of armor.

I am only showing the armor right now because I have a sword and shield as well as a full mannequin still coming as soon as I have those, I will show everything together.

troy-eudorus-greek-myrmidon-armor.jpg

eudorus-screen-matched.jpg

That's an amazing piece, and always wonderful when you can screen-match it. Was it listed as just Myrmidon armor and you figured out it was his, or did they list it as that? I know there was one listed as just Myrmidon armor.

Yeah, they knew what it was. :) I actually picked up this one and the one just listed on Prop Store... that one is going to a friend while this one is staying with me. Now the challenge is to find Eudorus' helmet... which is going to be all but impossible.

True, but I'm pretty sure you are a completionist like I am, so you won't be fully happy with it until you do lol. I hate missing pieces from a costume, but awesome when you finally find what you need.

Alright... finally got it all together! Now, this is admittedly a bit of a mismash. Originally, I just wanted a Myrmidon, but when Eudorus' armor was made available, I just couldn't pass it up, even though technically, Edurous' armor, greaves, bracers and helmet are different from the standard Myrmidon. Since he is the only character with unique armor, the chances of me finding the rest will be slim, but I am already working on tracking down his bracers and greaves. Anyway, the helmet, and greaves are from a standard Myrmidon. The bracers, unfortunately, are from 300, not Troy (boo!). And the armor is from Eudorus. All of these pieces came from Prop Store. The shield and sword are standard Myrmidon fare and are from Screencaptured. I have wanted one of these for years and years, so while it isn't perfect to have Eudorus' armor and a hero shield (super heavy) is pretty thrilling!

eudorus-myrmidon-costume-troy-sword-shield.jpg

So I have come to post an update to this decade-old thread only to realize I never even posted the LAST update!

First, I got Eudorus' helmet, as noted in this thread: Eudorus (Vincent Regan) Myrmidon Captain's Helmet from Troy.

As mentioned in the post above, the bracers I had were from 300, and the greaves were from a standard Myrmidon while Eudorus' greaves are specific to him. Years ago, I met someone on FB who had them, but they wanted what seemed like a fortune at the time, and then, shortly after talking with them, they left Facebook... They were probably my ONE chance at getting those pieces to complete my armor. Last summer, I shared this regret with a Facebook group, which inspired me to try to find the owner of those pieces. I spent a lot of time tracking down the person who had them and then disappeared more than eight years ago. After many efforts to contact him, he reached out to me, and I was able to strike a deal with him. I truly thought this was a regret that would haunt me forever but now I have all the major components of Eudorus' armor!

Greave and Bracers.jpg

IMG_7101.JPEG

IMG_7100.JPEG

IMG_7102.JPEG

However.... that isn't the post I came here to make! That was a year ago!
Today I was able to hang an original piece of Eudorus concept art to go with my costume. This is Bob Ringwood's costume design for Eudorus, rendered by concept artist Mariano Diaz in graphite. So glad to put these back together. Thanks to Tim and Viki from Propstore for making this happen!

Hand-Drawn Mariano Diaz - Eudros Concept Art 1.jpg

Hand-Drawn Mariano Diaz - Eudros Concept Art 2.jpg

This is Bob Ringwood's costume design for Eudorus, rendered by concept artist Mariano Diaz in graphite.
I was assuming that Eudorus's design would go to you; the only logical home!

Ringwood described his collaboration with Diaz in a 2005 interview:
"We used layers of tracing paper, starting with a nude body. I drew clothes on the next layer. Mariano cleaned up the drawing, and we worked like this, back and forth on [about 8 layers], refining the design until the last layer, which was always finished into a highly polished drawing by Mariano. Then it was scanned into the computer, and worked up even further in Photoshop. From this finished design, the costumes were made."

I still think Eudorus has the best helmet in the film - shame he didn't wear it beyond the first battle. And I always appreciated the gravitas that Vincent Regan gave to the role, limited as it was. Some scholars have suggested that he should have been swapped with Garrett Hedlund as Patroclus.

Thanks for sharing - a beautiful pairing and display.

I was assuming that Eudorus's design would go to you; the only logical home!

Ringwood described his collaboration with Diaz in a 2005 interview:
"We used layers of tracing paper, starting with a nude body. I drew clothes on the next layer. Mariano cleaned up the drawing, and we worked like this, back and forth on [about 8 layers], refining the design until the last layer, which was always finished into a highly polished drawing by Mariano. Then it was scanned into the computer, and worked up even further in Photoshop. From this finished design, the costumes were made."

I still think Eudorus has the best helmet in the film - shame he didn't wear it beyond the first battle. And I always appreciated the gravitas that Vincent Regan gave to the role, limited as it was. Some scholars have suggested that he should have been swapped with Garrett Hedlund as Patroclus.

Thanks for sharing - a beautiful pairing and display.

That is great info I didn't have. I love Vincent Regan's portrayal of Eudorus. I am also VERY glad he wasn't Patroclus! What I love best is that Regan plays the loyal second to Achilles here and plays a nearly identical role as the second to Leonidas in 300. I wish, years ago, I had gotten his costume from 300 to go with his Myrmidon costume.

Glad to hear. Public commentary by Bob Ringwood and other costume/prop makers on Troy is unfortunately very scant considering the massive scale of the production and the dividends those pieces went on to pay in later productions.

I am also VERY glad he wasn't Patroclus!
Just to clarify my meaning, the idea that's been proposed isn't that Regan should've played a different character in personality; it's more that the way he portrayed Eudorus is way closer to the original Patroclus of The Iliad than the young, inexperienced "cousin" we see in Troy. Meanwhile, Eudorus in the Iliad is hardly mentioned. So all they had to do is rename Eudorus as Patroclus, give him more scenes with Achilles to further develop their war-buddy relationship, and then have him fight Hector. Personally, I think it could've worked... but to each our own preference!

In case you're interested, this podcast episode featuring a historian and a couple of archaeologists critiquing the film touches on it a bit here:

And yeah, I'm pretty confident whoever was casting 300 was like "why reinvent the wheel? Let's get Eudorus."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back