Screen "matched"

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just received the latest Prop Store Auction catalog and noticed they use "screen matched" quite a bit (particularly on the IJ Temple Jacket and Indys LC shirt).

Is that another way of saying "screen accurate"?

Yeah, go to the online listings, they show a LOT more photos there.
Anything that they can screen match, they will usually show images from the movie with identifying marks that match what they are selling (which they do with a couple of screen shots for TOD...) (Actually, looks like they show the screen-matching in the catalog too, at least the PDF... I don't have the printed catalog...)

I don't see any mention of the LC shirt being a 'screen-match'...

“Screen matched” means they were able to match the item they’re selling to a specific scene on screen.

Since there are typically multiple versions of most prop and costume pieces, they can use screen grabs to match specific marks, weathering, etc. to specific scenes so buyers know exactly what scene the piece was used in.

Sean

"Screen accurate" is a term generally reserved for replicas. i.e. It is accurate to the way it looks on screen.

"Screen matched" is a term for original props where it indicates not only was this piece made for production (as there are often multiple copies of every prop, whether they were used on screen or not), but that you could pause the DVD on particular frames, point to details on it, and say "Yes, this thing in my hands is that exact thing right there on the screen, and here's where they match exactly, as proof."

Thanks everyone. All this time I thought a prop that was used in a movie and seen on screen was considered "screen used". Props that are the same as one used in a movie but not actually used in a movie such as a Graflex flash handle or a Herbert Johnson Fedora, were "screen accurate". Almost 23 years on the RPF and I never heard screen matched.

Thanks everyone. All this time I thought a prop that was used in a movie and seen on screen was considered "screen used". Props that are the same as one used in a movie but not actually used in a movie such as a Graflex flash handle or a Herbert Johnson Fedora, were "screen accurate". Almost 23 years on the RPF and I never heard screen matched.
A prop used in a movie is “screen used”. That is just one term. But often collectors want that lineage, or proof, outside of a COA or just someone saying it was used in production. There are just too many good fakes out there. So auction houses try to “screen match” the item as a form of proof. If they can find a scene, and pick out the imperfections, like a dent in the prop, or a scratch in the finish… lining up a pattern on clothing ( like where a plaid pattern lines up to a pocket or button, etc)
then they can better determine that it was truly used.

A prop used in a movie is “screen used”. That is just one term. But often collectors want that lineage, or proof, outside of a COA or just someone saying it was used in production.

I guess it's splitting hairs, but it seems to me that there are at least four distinct categories

1) a prop made for the production that never made it to a set or filming location

2) a prop made for the production that made it to the set or filming location but didn't end up on film (a duplicate that stayed on the rack, or was set-dressing on a set or part of a set that wasn't filmed, and many other possibilities)

3) a prop made for the production and ended up on film but was in a shot or scene that didn't end up in any of the cuts which were released (initial theatre run, Director's Cut, "making of" video etc.)

4) a prop made for the production that ended up on film in the final cut of the film as it was released in theatres or in a later Director's Cut, "making of" video etc.

I'm guessing that props in the first category wouldn't be labelled "used in production".

I'm guessing that props in categories 2, 3, and 4 would be labelled "used in production" though only props in category 4 have the potential for being "screen matched". So "screen matched" appears an effective way of weeding out everything that isn't in category 4 including fakes.

Then of course there are props that don't appear in the film but do appear in publicity stills or production stills. Are stills considered "screen"?

Last edited:
I guess it's splitting hairs, but it seems to me that there are at least four distinct categories

1) a prop made for the production that never made it to a set or filming location

2) a prop made for the production that made it to the set or filming location but didn't end up on film (a duplicate that stayed on the rack, or was set-dressing on a set or part of a set that wasn't filmed, and many other possibilities)

3) a prop made for the production and ended up on film but was in a shot or scene that didn't end up in any of the cuts which were released (initial theatre run, Director's Cut, "making of" video etc.)

4) a prop made for the production that ended up on film in the final cut of the film as it was released in theatres or in a later Director's Cut, "making of" video etc.

I'm guessing that props in the first category wouldn't be labelled "used in production".

I'm guessing that props in categories 2, 3, and 4 would be labelled "used in production" though only props in category 4 have the potential for being "screen matched". So "screen matched" appears an effective way of weeding out everything that isn't in category 4 including fakes.

Then of course there are props that don't appear in the film but do appear in publicity stills or production stills. Are stills considered "screen"?
yeah, screen matched is supposed to be that definitive proof, but replica makers are really getting good at even duplicating the imperfections anymore. If a replica builder wants to be tricky enough, they will duplicate the details of a prop in a certain scene, then they can sell that as proof to auction houses, and these fakes start selling for tens of thousands.

1, 2, and 3 would all be classified as "production made".

And I suppose a prop would move from category 3 to 4 if at some future point a new cut is released (or even a new "making of" is made) in which a hitherto unseen prop can be seen.

I was just thinking about all the props that are never seen on film, say Boardwalk Empire where every man has a pocket-watch chain and probably a pocket watch on the end of it. You couldn't just have a chain because at any time the Director could tell one of the actors with a speaking part, one of the Day Players, or even one of the Extras to pull out his watch and check the time. (I've known Extras to suddenly become Day Players by being told by the Director to raise a finger to a bartender in a pub scene or what have you. And if the Director tells somebody at the bar to hand the bartender a credit card, well there's a screen-used prop.)

1709156235924.png

Something I once made. I have a newer one, including bought and altered, but misplaced it.

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

Something that would be classified (at least be me) as NOT production made would be something made by the same prop makers AFTER the movie was released, or made by someone else using the original molds and products that we used to make the originals.
I know of cases were props fitting this description were given to the film makers as 'production made' or 'screen used', so there are still cases where you will simply never know FOR SURE that it was made for the production unless you can screen match it... Getting a prop 'from the director's personal collection' does not guarantee it was not made after the movie was released... Hopefully that is rare, but I know it has happened with some pieces that seem to show up in auctions a lot... (Lots of them were made for the movie, but there were many made after the fact and no one can tell the difference...)

But anything that the studio essentially paid to have made with potential of ending up in the movie (regardless of whether it made it to set or not) would be considered 'production made'

View attachment 1794592
Something I once made. I have a newer one, including bought and altered, but misplaced it.
To me screen matched is actually the real screen used. Screen used in the case of multiple versions is too much reliant on someone remembering which version(s) was/were actually used. The only really reliable screen used is more or less the same as "unique". You don't need to match items that were too huge or detailed or maybe too unimportant to make multiples.

To me screen matched is actually the real screen used. Screen used in the case of multiple versions is too much reliant on someone remembering which version(s) was/were actually used. The only really reliable screen used is more or less the same as "unique". You don't need to match items that were too huge or detailed or maybe too unimportant to make multiples.
Well, I'd say that if they used one specific car that can't be matched but was the only one is still 'just' screen used. For most props one should state it is production made and nothing more. Anything better has to be proven.

And let's not talk about of the rack pieces that were bought by production and went unaltered, but also not used.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back