Scratchbuilt Nebulon-B Frigate

AlexD

Hi all, I wanted to post my first model on here. I have seen a lot of the perfect, one-to-one replica Nebulons on this site, and they are incredible! I wanted to add a disclaimer that mine is very far off from those!
I'm in college, with no access to 3D printed parts or an airbrushing station or anything else. This Nebulon-B was built from any scrap pieces of plastic, metal, and wood I could find on my college campus. The head is built from an empty Gatorade bottle, epoxied onto a wooden rod I found in a dumpster! I did buy some styrene sheets for some of the panelling, but for the most part this ship is built from any odd pieces of junk I could find that I though came close to the spirit and shape of the original model. I also gave it a different color scheme than the Redemption, and I'm calling mine the "Triumph." The Falcon is the really tiny Bandai model- the first model I ever built, at the start of the COVID pandemic. I like to think that the Nebulon is just a display stand for my first ever model I built. ;) The Falcon attaches to the Nebulon via a soda straw that has had magnets glued inside.

I hope you like my work and find inspiration to build something cool out of nothing!

You can see more of what I'm making in college on my instagram, @jabbaspalacehobbies

Alex

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e8e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1eb7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_202b.jpg

41GRr131Q8aZRZtQyBoopw_thumb_2081.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20a2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20a8.jpg

QI0PLuhcQc+9Hkw%J%Hgaw_thumb_20ec.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2176.jpg
0HLgiaNZQGy2A1%9E6DFCQ_thumb_21f7.jpg

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1dfa.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1dfa.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 104
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e0b.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e0b.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 101
That looks very cool. I love scratch builds with random pieces found.
Reminds me of a star destroyer I made out of cardboard and everything random I could find around the house or things at the store.
Did you had any flat clear coats to it?
That can be the most tricky part of getting it to look just right without messing up any paint, and also making sure nothing looks shiny like the orginal models.

That looks very cool. I love scratch builds with random pieces found.
Reminds me of a star destroyer I made out of cardboard and everything random I could find around the house or things at the store.
Did you had any flat clear coats to it?
That can be the most tricky part of getting it to look just right without messing up any paint, and also making sure nothing looks shiny like the orginal models.
Thanks! The Nebulon was pretty glossy while I was painting it but the final matte coat is maybe not quite heavy enough yet. I might go over it again, to get that fully matte look. I’d love to see your star destroyer!

Well, one thing for sure is that you're resourceful (y) And that helps into scratch-building anything. Love the way you used every day items to find the greeblies needed for your model. Keep on building:cool:

Very impressive and inspirational!

Looking forward to what you com up with or the MC-30 you were planning in your other thread!

Very impressive and inspirational!

Looking forward to what you com up with or the MC-30 you were planning in your other thread!
Thank you! I’ll post pictures of my MC-80 sometime soon..it’s a quite more ambitious project than this Nebulon! (And much bigger and heavier already, even with just the wood frame built!)

Well, one thing for sure is that you're resourceful (y) And that helps into scratch-building anything. Love the way you used every day items to find the greeblies needed for your model. Keep on building:cool:
Thank you! My eyes look for greebles everywhere now lol. I love making models for hardly any $ at all!

Thanks! The Nebulon was pretty glossy while I was painting it but the final matte coat is maybe not quite heavy enough yet. I might go over it again, to get that fully matte look. I’d love to see your star destroyer!
Here's the thread I made. All the pictures were uploaded using photobucket. Looks like they are still loading, just have a watermark on them. But incase they do not work, I can repost any.

Fantastic! You’re a natural-born model maker, it’s so great to see what you’ve made especially that it’s your first scratch build, looking forward to what you build next

Fantastic! You’re a natural-born model maker, it’s so great to see what you’ve made especially that it’s your first scratch build, looking forward to what you build next
Thank you! I've always enjoyed painting, and building (mainly with Legos when I was younger) so discovering model-making during the pandemic was an awesome hobby to pick up! Right now I'm working on two Hammerhead corvettes, and a Liberty-class cruiser

I’ve wanted to see a Federation secondary hull with that kind of detail and Mon Cal blisters all over it…plating falling away to a more industrial underbelly…dish clusters up front. Multi torpedo tubes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back