Scratch-build of Rocketeer Cirrus X-3 Rocketpack

i did take the time to read through the whole thread again and i have my plans in the works. my one question i have, due to the fact that im new to building, is how did you cast the center piece? from what i gathered you sculpted it out of clay and then what? i got a bit confused when i was reading that part.

i did take the time to read through the whole thread again and i have my plans in the works. my one question i have, due to the fact that im new to building, is how did you cast the center piece? from what i gathered you sculpted it out of clay and then what? i got a bit confused when i was reading that part.

Sure, let me explain. I used products from a company called Smooth-on. Smooth-On, Inc. - Mold Making & Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More

To create the mold of the finished clay master that I built onto my kit I used their Brush on Silicon Starter Kit:
Brush-On Silicone Starter Kit: Rebound® 25 & Smooth-Cast® 300
THis creates a rubber mold of the clay piece and a "Plasti-Paste" hard plastic shell over the mold.

The mold is removed and I used Smoothcast 300 to create the final piece.
Smooth-Cast® 300, 300Q, 305, 310 Product Information | Smooth-On

This was a VERY tricky mold (at least for me) to poor. It was an open face mold with lots of weird sides and nooks and crannies to get the resin to flow into. Wouldn't want to do it again :)

I want to say, this is the single most informative thread I've ever seen on the Cirrus x-3. Amazing work, Valor. Shows us all we don't have to dump hundreds of dollars on unfinished packs, because if someone is talented enough they can build it on their own!
I read over this and went,"Wow, why didn't I think of that!?" and have applied tons of the things you've done to my work on my pack. http://www.therpf.com/f24/rocketeer-3-d-modelling-info-214307/?highlight=cirrus

I do have a few questions for you though, sir!

What size is/where did you get your braided hose? I've only been able to find 1/4 hose so far, and it looks a little too big to my naked eye. Plus, taking the existing fittings off to put on my own, is PAIN!

Also, the flaps behind the engine nozzles - I haven't been able to find any good info or pictures on how and where they're attached... it seems pretty simple, but in practice is stumping me a bit. I plan to cut the flaps out of acrylic, and then use a heat strip bender to bend it at a right angle.

Love your work, sir. Any help/advice you give is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your kind words. I got the braided hose at a hardware store. It's for refrigerator cold water lines. The flaps were either styrene or acrylic sheet. Can't remember which. I used a heat gun and some wood blocks to bend the right angles. Your build looks great so far. Man a lathe would have save me so much time on my engines. Yours look great.

That's a tough hypothetical. While my materials cost on this was probably just shy of $800, with labor you would be talking several thousand.

Wow. This work is incredible. Absolutely love the level of detail. I have been contemplating a Rocket Pack for sometime. After scratchbuilding my Proton Pack, I thought this could be a nice project. This is just more inspiration. Thanks for sharing your work.

I think I found it here on the RPF. Here's file if you want it.

pack diagram.jpg

I'm curious where you got the full size Cirrus X3 diagram from in your first photo on the first page?? is it online?? Thanks for your time!

Thank you!! I've been scouring all over google and here looking for it, I know with Photobucket putting their 3rd party viewing restriction on last year, a ton of the photos in the threads are no longer viewable and really makes for more work trying to find ones uploaded on other host sites

I think I found it here on the RPF. Here's file if you want it.

View attachment 789471

Valor and QCWolf,

Thank you for displaying and demonstrating all of your hard work. I've tried to build this years ago with disappointing results. It shows that scratch building something out of our dreams is possible. What I had trouble with last time were reference points. Thanks to you and QCWolf we have a set of dimensions to work from. Where did you guys get accurate plans? I thought I read somewhere that you guys had message another RPF member with the full-blown prop and had asked for some "core" dimensions.

A lot of our work comes from extrapolating, figuring out and examining screen captures and eyeballing details when you don't have any other source. I've tried using Adobe Acrobat - Scale measurements - to compare relative dimensions of known parts but that does not work out well. (mostly because of 2D vs 3D perspective difference) What do you recommend to figure out missing dimensions? e.g. bottom length of the backside of the rocket housing. I would guess its about 1" shorter than the engine bell but I have no idea. Or the shape and size of the top radiator fins. Can the PDF be scaled up to the correct proportions?

Thanks for all of your work. ITs Amaazzing. Truly Breath taking.

Jedar

A couple thought.

One, get every image possible if rocketlacks from every angle. I’m telling you there’s some great reference images out there. And as you said, you do need to extrapolate a few things.

Two, even if you don’t pla in 3D printing your pack a tonifpeople are today. And being able to see those files and spin them around would be helpful.

Three. There’s several Fingead groups in h
Facebook that are very active right now. One is Finheads of Florida. There’s a tone of guys who would help you.

And four. See if there’s someone near you that you could go see their pack in person. Take my word for it, seeing A pack in
Person helps a bunch with some of the geometries.

Good luck.

Ditto. Everything I'm doing I learned from Valor. Although my thread has stalled, I'm still working on my pack. I'll update my build soon.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back