Sandtrooper replica from Star Wars ANH

Thx for all your kind comments!
This is very very encouraging and exciting!
I did work in this armor long hours during a period of few years, to finally bring it where I thought it should be.
And seeing such good response feels like the icing of the cake!

I will try to answer questions...

That is, as everyone has said, one of the most gorgeous Sandtrooper outfits I've seen. And it does fit very well. I've always been torn on whether to go Traditional Stormtrooper - or Sandtrooper. Can you share with the thread some of the techniques you actually used to achieve the weathering..? And have you considered embarking on a Lewis Gun 'heavy blaster' to go with the outfit..?

Thx a lot!!
The technique is a mixture of two techniques and a lot of reference comparison and eyeballing. Two main techniques I was inspired by were developed by Dave Harris, aka user sir dave at the MEPD. His single pigment technique inspired me to go with one single color. The other one would have to be Terry, aka Pandatrooper user at MEPD and FISD, with his oily look technique for weathering.

What I did was just paint each piece in the whole with Woodland Scenics pigment Burnt Umber, and leave it to dry for just about 30 secs, then wipe it off and petting it with a paper towel. wiping most of the color off, allowing it to settle in spots where it would naturally stay. Then again and again and again. Once I had a natural organic look on the base layer, made up of several layers, I went on with the characteristic patterns. Basically doing the same thing, but this time working with the towel to leave more controlled patterns and textures. Over and over again. Once it was all done, I used another towel to completely remove the paint on some spots, as in the original armor. This I did specially in spots on the chestplate and the forearms.

love the ANH comparison pics :thumbsup

ps. are your handplates mixed up ?

Yes they are...
:)

Thx...

Saludos.

That's ****** Amazing bro!

I love a good replica and this is just that. All worn and dirty.

Super smashing, lovely great!

Hermano, justo cuando pensaba que no podia usted ir mas lejos... hace esta obra maestra, mis mas absolutos respetos y un abrazo de un hermano venezolano TS2434

Hey Juan, i don't know how i missed your posting! Your suit looks amazing, it really shows your dedication to TD's!
One day i'll return into TD business and finish my suits! MEPD still rocks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back