Salzo V3 Red5 (Kuhn Global Build)

Max Zephyr

Just finished up this Salzo V3 kit for Kurt. The build up and more final pics can be seen here:

http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=2775

The new kit is absolutely worth every penny. The combined efforts from Moe and Mike make this THE studio scale X-wing to buy. Thanks to them both for bringing us this beautiful bird.

2625385263_37ff7073d5.jpg

2625386123_0c25f22456.jpg

2625385731_17fed4d304.jpg

Excellent Work Matt!!!!

This is absolutely amazing Matt! :eek:eek:eek:eek Thank You my friend!
icon_biggrin.gif
I can't stop looking at it!!! :love:love:love:love:love

A little back story for everyone...

A short while ago a good friend (and GREAT artist) was able to show me and a few others some newly found ILM photos of RED 5 shot during the filming of Star Wars in '76. I will leave it to that person to announce them self if they so choose. I am VERY thankful of this person. These photos (which legally, and simply cannot be show publicly... yet
icon_wink.gif
) clarified just about everything we all wanted to know about the (now lost forever) original RED 5. This bird that Matt is doing is pretty much a 'clone' of the RED 5 filming miniature as it was back in '76. The obvious differences from the original to this build are very apparent because of my own preference, and Matt's artistic license. The cockpit and pilot are different, the R2 is different, and this builds canopy does not have windows! That is correct folks! the original X-wing DID contain clear windows. Aside from those differences, and possibly slight paint tone conceptions, what you see here in Matt's build is what RED 5 really looked like. Burn for burn, scratch for scratch, color for color, and even added pieces to make accurate this specific kit to be RED 5.

Surprisingly, using only screen caps, and the five red background photos of RED 5, Bob's (OOT) previous build (my V2 build) of Red 5 was VERY close. Bob's current build for Jerry will definitely be spot on (as you can already see in his build thread using those borrowed photos). Richard (REL) is also doing one based on the same photos. That stated, we are all about to get some KILLER and ACCURATE interpretations from GREAT BUILDERS of the TRUE look of RED 5!..... FINALLY!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I thank the source for letting us see the new found photos in order that the public now may see accurate builds of RED 5 with the awesome Salzo V3 kit.
icon_biggrin.gif

As for Matt's build here?.... I am in complete AWE!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
And I thank him for his continued, amazing work!
icon_biggrin.gif
With that, I leave post with the ever long and meaning full word of...

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! (y)love:thumbsup

OMG this is beautiful...:love Am I glad I got my order in for a V3! Kurt, there don´t happen to be any Red 1 pics among those refs? :D Pity you can´t share those pics...but understandable.
Congrats on this wonderful model. Absolutely the most beautiful Red 5 around. Didn´t like Luke´s paintjob that much before, but if that is what it really looked like...

Thanks Fellas!

Thanks guys! :D Your comments have always been of great importance to me. Especially that those comments are coming from a very professional side of this hobby. This piece is really what I have been dreaming of since '77. ;)

Matt really did an amazing job in his replication of the beastie filming model. Thank you again Matt! :D You are truly amazing my friend! :D

As for the photos we used... I am sure that sometime in the future they will be able to be released by their owners and license holders. It is just a matter of time. ;) I am just thankful that the source was so kind as to let us have a peek in order to produce an accurate bird. :D Thank you again to the source. :D I can't tell you how much I appreciate you.

That stated... the Blue Screen photos will be done as soon as I receive the model from Matt (probably early next week). I will get extreme close-ups so that it may be used for reference of the original if anyone wishes to use them to duplicate it.

Guys... I am pleased beyond words with Matt's work on this "cloned" replica. :D VERY pleased indeed! (y)love:thumbsup

Thanks again fellas! And thank you again Matt! :D :cool:cool:cool:cool

You are amazing Matt!

I'd also like to thank Kurt for allowing me to add this piece to his collection:cool

Wow! You are an amazing man Matt.
icon_smile.gif
You earned every cent of this build my friend. You definitely DO NOT need to be thanking me! It is I that should continue to thank YOU my friend! Absolutely AMAZING work!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Even the guys all state so above... here and on the RI!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

SO SAY WE ALL!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You!

Kurt, your model looks incredible, I know you're happy. This will probably be my next project.:thumbsup

Thanks for the kind words my friend! :D I am VERY pleased indeed with Matt's work! :D

I look forward to viewing your build nightrider! (y)love:thumbsup I just love X-Wings!!! :cool:cool:cool

Re: Thank You!

Man is that pretty. Totally understand about the source pics and hope we get to see them someday. I wish I could paint anywhere close to that good.

I wonder if eFX has good source photos for Red 5?

Re: Thank You!

Man is that pretty. Totally understand about the source pics and hope we get to see them someday. I wish I could paint anywhere close to that good.

I wonder if eFX has good source photos for Red 5?

Thank you Heimidal! :)

I would expect that eFX probably now indeed has the best reference available for RED 5. I am well looking forward to what they release. :D

Hey Matt, would you be so kind to tell me how you do those small stains I marked in the attached pic? ("Stole" that from your RI-thread ;) ) I have several ideas, but I´m not sure. And after you´ve done those spots, do you shoot the area with thinned paint through the airbrush to create some smoke or is it pastels? Many thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Sure no problem. The spots and stains are 2 to 3 very thin shades of acrylics or inks built up with a fine brush. I usually lightly sand the stains with fine grit to even it out and flatten it into the surface. The streaking is done with pastels.

Cool, thanks! :) So it´s actually "real" stains of thinned paint, what´s left over when the drop has dried, right? This was actually one of my guesses but I know, it´s easy to say so afterwards...:lol
Many many thanks!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back