Round 2 TIE Interceptor build

Millenniumf

Sr Member
A few months ago, I built a copy of the reissue of the AMT TIE Fighter, and had a great time with it. I loved the reissued kit so much, I decided to pick up the TIE Interceptor upon its release. I was very happy to hear that it was an amalgamation of the AMT TIE Interceptor wings with the AMT TIE Fighter body, as that's a combo many of us have done but I hadn't yet. It was on my to-do list, but I pushed it back because I didn't like the idea of buying a TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor kit just to make one ship. But the Round 2 kit combining both models' features to make one TIE Interceptor kit was perfect for me!

I didn't want to build it stock, so I reworked the cannons under the chin into the empty ports on the TIE Interceptor filming model and removed the toothpaste caps from the aft window. I also removed the conduit on the wings that is laid over an ejector pin mark so I could more easily fix the mark. I replaced it with copper wire. I probably should have gone with thinner wire, but I wasn't aiming for perfection with this, heheh. I then built new guns from milspec contacts I salvaged from work, as well as some copper wire with thinner wire wrapped around it to create the details under the cannon bodies. I did the same with the wing cutout cannons. I had intended to put little triangular brackets on their sides to mimic the same parts on the filming mini, but I was getting lazy and decided it was enough to throw some styrene chips into the cavity I carved and call it good. I put new glass in the cockpit canopy, but I haven't gotten around to doing that for the windscreen yet. I'll probably do that this week sometime, and if I do I'll update the thread

For painting, I sprayed the entire model in black primer, then gloss-coated the solar panels and masked them off. I then painted the whole thing in Tamiya XS-23 Haze Gray, as it looks very similar to Stormy Sea Gray, picked out some details in German Uniform Gray and Steel, and then finished with a mix of Tamiya Black and Gray Panel Liner. I probably should have gone with a darker gray for the details, but it works fine for now.

Anyway, on to the pics!

VLOGdhp.jpg

JIWN4Aa.jpg

uswWzhF.jpg

WB4sqUN.jpg

wGMiwxY.jpg

3l9yaJM.jpg

PspFD3c.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back