ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I'm so glad the pattern worked out. I'm looking forward to using it -- especially since I've already worked out the overlap. My copy is still in the mail -- I had a few other patterns that Joann never seems to carry, and they didn't ship until yesterday. Now to decide if I'm going to dye this cotton linen I have sitting around, or actually try and find a more perfect not-really-but-kinda-stubby chambray with that almost-striped-wearing off dye.

Getting closer.... though getting really annoyed with this need to work, I only have 1.5 hrs to work on it at night :p That's barely enough time to do anything.

vest002.jpg

Hey everyone, there is a pair of the Cebe 15 ski goggles on US ebay right now. I'm not the seller but thought everyone should know if interested.

Nylon Fabric Discussion

Here is a photo to compare a few samples of nylon fabric to cotton twill. Since nylon is produced as an extruded synthetic filament as opposed to spun fibers, the characteristics of the fabric depends upon the shape of the filament as much as any other factor. It may be round, trilobal, flat, smooth finish, woolly, etc

Nylon Samples.JPG.

Starting from the upper left I have a sample of light-weight olive color “fashion” nylon. This uses a .07 mm round filament and is approximately 160D. It has a plain weave and produces a 2.5 oz. fabric. This was purchased at Joann Fabrics sometime in the past and my local store does not have anything similar in stock. The small filament and tight weave does not provide much of a surface texture. This is similar to what I see when trying to analyze the Jyn images for fibers or weave structure.

In the upper right, is Joann Fabric Brown Sport Nylon (as opposed to their Ripstop Nylon). This uses a “flat ribbon” instead of a round filament which is .07 x .5 mm. This thicker filament is approximately 360D but also produces a 2.5 oz. plain weave fabric; it just requires fewer threads”. It is stiff in the warp direction and a little more flexible is the weft or grain direction.

The lower left is a sample of Brown Taslan Nylon (currently available on eBay). This uses a fluffy filament which givens the nylon a softer appearance and hand. It uses an approximate .27 mm filament or 550D and produces a 4 oz. fabric. The larger filament exhibits visible surface texture more like a natural fiber. As such it is not as "shiny" as some nylon fabrics.

The final sample is 7.5 oz Brown Cotton Twill from Fabric.com.

The samples were photographed on a piece of black cardstock. When I tried to use a white background the Sport Nylon appeared markedly different. The large filaments allow a great deal of reflected light to come through. This is a much more “open weave” than I expected and may be the reason for the “sport nylon” name as it probably breathes much better than the others. The fashion nylon has the closest photographic characteristics to the Jyn images I have analyzed. The very small filament does not show much of a surface texture at all and does not allow much air or light to pass. The Taslan Nylon is closest in feel and texture to the cotton. It does not have the slick or synthetic plastic feel as the other materials.

My conclusion is if I was trying to match the screen images, I would go with a light-weight, small, round filament plain woven nylon such as the upper left. If I want a fabric which would be a closer match to the look and feel of the cotton portions of the vest I think Taslan is a good option.

Last edited:
Rain ponchos have hoods. The mandarin collar looks like it's part of the poncho - it looks like the collar is attached over the top/at the collar seam as if it were detachable, though I don't think it is (and wow, "concho" is an unfortunate typo...).

Quote from Art of Rogue One book page 162.
"Felicity [Jones] wanted Jyn to have a Eastern influence - which is appropriate for Star Wars, with so many Japanese influences.
The mountain mission on Eadu was going to be a completely wet, freezing cold environment, so we tried to combine some Eastern look with a poncho, and we ended up with this thing we called a 'concho' because it's a crossover coat mixed with a batwing poncho." David Crossman

I don't think the front pockets are cotton, it has the same sheen as the flap, I still think it's the same nylon as the fabric of the front.

The lower left is a sample of Brown Taslan Nylon (currently available on eBay). This uses a fluffy filament which givens the nylon a softer appearance and hand. It uses an approximate .27 mm filament or 550D and produces a 4 oz. fabric. If I want a fabric which would be a closer match to the look and feel of the cotton portions of the vest I think Taslan is a good option.

Without having access to the Fashion Nylon in your picture, do you think the taslan nylon might work for the whole vest, or is it far too dull?

the whiphand, because of its flat filament the Sport Nylon is the most reflective. The fashion nylon is next in reflectivity because it has a hard filament finish, but the small filament size scatters the light. Although it is the thinnest of my samples it is almost opaque because of the tight weave. The Taslan is not "shiny" or "plastic" at all. I believe it is made to look more like a "natural fiber" which makes it appear much like the cotton. It does have a dull finish. A whole vest of it would look much like a whole vest made of cotton. I like the fabric but it does not seem like the right choice, as I could get the same "look" with the cotton twill and that might be more comfortable as the Taslan also has a tight weave and is very "airtight". One other interesting point about the Taslan is that although it uses a plain weave, the weft, or cross-grain filaments are much larger than the warp filaments. It was the weft filaments I measured for size as the warp is a collection of more than 20 individual, extremely fine, filaments. So fine that I do not have a micrometer accurate enough to give a measurement. All of these warp filaments together are still smaller than an individual weft filament. This gives the Taslan a strong ribbed appearance which runs from selvage to selvage. I believe the many small, fine filament provide a very effective "fill" between the larger filaments and thus produce what is probably a pretty water-resistant fabric, thus why it is also what I called "airtight".

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some more nylon fabric samples. The upper row is a black, 1000D coated nylon often used for outdoor gear such as tents and backpacks because of its strength and also low weight. These sample were cut on the bias. The upper left is the Right Side, and on the right is the Wrong (or Reverse) Side which is the coated surface. The bottom sample is another cut of "fashion nylon" but this time, in Navy.

Of all the samples I have access to, the coated (WS) surface looks most like the base vest fabric to me. The coating provides a uniform, near flat surface which hides the weave structure and also provide a "glossy" look. A lighter weight fabric with a similar coating might work even better as this sample is rather stiff because of its large filament size which was to provide strength to the fabric which is not necessary in this situation.
Nylon Samples 2.JPG

That is the same packaging I received with my goggles. At the top of the box you may be able to discern the "cebe 15".

Well now I feel like an idiot and I'm super happy at the same time. xD I was looking at them, and the picture makes one corner of the goggles seem off so I was like - at least it's close! xD Thank you.

Quote from Art of Rogue One book page 162.
Well, "concho" is a widely used word for a round metal decoration usually used for leather, but has some rather unfortunate meanings listed on Urban Dictionary...so awkward word choice.

Has anyone figured out a good fabric for the scarf yet? So far it's eluding me.

I used a 60/40% blend of poly/cotton broadcloth and weathered it, but I also think the real one could be a rough silk?

May want to have another look at ripstop nylon for the front vest shell. I happened to notice a knitting bag my mom has is a near perfect color match for the coyote cotton ripstop I purchased. It had a small bit of sheen, and looked to be a taslan. No real visible weave or pattern. But when helx to the light, there was a clear ripstop pattern.

b40cfd2cf7ec547db369a0ce66be1c9a.jpg

41777cd56808913a3d375ba5d4e76fac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm gonna leave this mostly as is because it's a monument to my silliness.

I think I could use this as my signature on every one of my posts. @the whiphand I have made more errors in these posts than I want to admit but since we are all trying to advance our knowledge of this part of the Rogue One story ahead of having perfect information we will (and I have) make mistakes. Finding and sharing an alternate set of search terms to locate something on eBay or the internet adds to the knowledge.

Edit: Because I had to add a reason and this one had me laughing 'til I cried.

Last edited:
I think I could use this as my signature on every one of my posts. @the whiphand I have made more errors in these posts than I want to admit but since we are all trying to advance our knowledge of this part of the Rogue One story ahead of having perfect information we will (and I have) make mistakes. Finding and sharing an alternate set of search terms to locate something on eBay or the internet adds to the knowledge.

Edit: Because I had to add a reason and this one had me laughing 'til I cried.

XDD this one was a good one to wake up to. Thank you for your kindness, patience, and humor. <3

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back