ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Just saw the film again and watched Jyn's belt and gloves very closely. In every shot where you can see the back of her gloves, not once is that circle cut out. It's smooth-backed gloves throughout the entire film. Definitely the velcro strap is replaced with the longer, thinner one with straps, but absolutely no back-of-the-hand circle. Guess that was a promo only thing?

It's really hard to make them out because the movie is color corrected to be so dark that the gloves look dark brown and the details get washed out, but you can see the detail on the gloves in a few of the brighter scenes.

For example, you can see them when she raises her gun in the alley on Jedha and when K2S0 removes her handcuffs.

It's really hard to make them out because the movie is color corrected to be so dark that the gloves look dark brown and the details get washed out, but you can see the detail on the gloves in a few of the brighter scenes.

Hmmm. Well now I'm super confused because I know I'm a bit newer to this but I mean, I was REALLY paying attention. Especially towards the end of the movie there were several shots where her hand was closer toward the camera and you got a perfect look at it.

You know, I'm wondering how much of this had to do with reshoots? Like how very little of the footage that was in the very first trailer showed up anywhere in the movie. I wonder if its possible all the promo photo shoots and 1st round of filming had everything we're seeing in the Visual Guide and in the costumes on the display ... and then when they went back to re-tool the ending, small things very slightly changed? (

Or I need glasses. :p

I'm excited to start this build! I'm forcing myself to finish up two other builds I have in the works first, but I've been slowly gathering materials. Who else is using the days off from work this holiday to go scour computer repair shops for some motherboard wire to match the tubing on her jacket?

Hmmm. Well now I'm super confused because I know I'm a bit newer to this but I mean, I was REALLY paying attention. Especially towards the end of the movie there were several shots where her hand was closer toward the camera and you got a perfect look at it.

Part of what makes it really hard to see the detail, especially at the end, is that it always seems to be her left hand that we get good shots of, and that's the one that only has the stitching details, not the darker circle of leather.

When she's supporting Cassian as they leave the tower, for example, she's got her left hand raised and we get a decent look at that glove, but the right one is never clearly visible during that scene.

This is one of the few scenes where she actually does raise her right hand in a lit environment and the shot is long enough for us to take a look at it:

alley.jpg

It's possible that I'm wrong too and the circles aren't there during the reshoots. I'm just inclined to think that there are so many shots directly from set and in trailers with the circle that they probably are there and are just really hard to see.

To be honest though, I don't know if the circles and the restitched fingers are strictly necessary, if anyone is making the costume and doesn't want to bother with them. Those of us making the costume might notice, but anyone who saw the film without obsessing over promos would never be able to tell.

Part of what makes it really hard to see the detail, especially at the end, is that it always seems to be her left hand that we get good shots of, and that's the one that only has the stitching details, not the darker circle of leather.

Ohhhh makes perfect sense. You're right, I remember seeing mainly good shots of her left hand. Good call! :thumbsup

You guys are amazing. I am making this costume for a friend for Dragoncon 2017. I would be lost if it wasn't for spectreseven and smithjohn's attention to detail. In fact, I cannot thank all of you enough! I will hopefully be able to post something myself in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this over on the Rebel Legion Jyn standard discussion board, but it might be helpful to some of you. I paid close attention to Jyn's accessories when I saw R1 again last night, and here's what I noticed:

She doesn't have her belt when in Imperial captivity, but it appears as soon as she's on Yavin (even when she's handcuffed and walking through the base, as seen in the trailers).

She's got the smaller device in her pocket from about the same point that she gets the belt. The comlink appears in her pocket during the second scene at Yavin and remains there for the rest of the film.

She doesn't have her tonfa on Scarif. It's pretty hard to make out her weapons in that part of the film but I watched really closely and the tonfa isn't there. She's got it when she's boarding the ship but she seems to leave it behind once they arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited to start this build! I'm forcing myself to finish up two other builds I have in the works first, but I've been slowly gathering materials. Who else is using the days off from work this holiday to go scour computer repair shops for some motherboard wire to match the tubing on her jacket?

I found some coated wire by the foot at a hardware store that works. It's only 2 connected tubes, but if I double it up it looks fine.

Vera, your vest looks great so far! Are you willing to share the information about how you are stitching the lines? Is it a machine stitch? How do you get that overlap effect?

Sure! What do you mean by 'overlap effect', though?

I went back and forth on the color, but since in a couple pics you can clearly see the yellow, I chose the Coats and Clark 'temple gold' heavy duty thread and am weathering the stitches with pastels. If you look at the upper left of my vest, you can see some of the thread weathering I've done so far. I used a 75/11 embroidery needle with a 3.5 stitch length, and placed the lines 3/8" apart. I had guessed they were 3/8" by looking at it, and when I drafted my vest (I'm a similar size to Felicity Jones), counted the rows of stitches and did the math, and it came out to be 3/8", so I think that measurement is correct. I counted about 38 rows. I marked the lines in chalk and just followed them. I prefer to use the mechanical chalk pencils you can find in the quilting section since you get a much sharper and precise line.

The vertical, hand-stitched lines running down the front I had chalked in straight, but they weren't ending in the right spots on the shoulders. It's hard to tell from pictures but I think the lines have to very gently curve into the shoulders. I'm going to hold off on that stitch until the vest is together.

I had tried to share this pdf some time ago and it kept showing up as invalid. It is a large pattern of the (right side of the) vest showing my placement of stitching and applied elements. It requires three sheets of legal size paper to produce the full size pattern. Perhaps it can be of some value if the attachment works.

EDIT: This link works for me but then again I uploaded the file. Two cautions, this pattern does not include the placement of the underarm ALICE "patch" which has been recently discovered and I have a third line of quilting stitches near the underarm which may or may not be screen accurate.

View attachment Vest_RF.pdf

Last edited:
verdaera, I guess it is just an illusion. I thought that the stitches kind of were on an angle with the end of the stitch higher than the beginning, but I looked at your picture at maximum image size (Thanks for posting it so big!), and I see the stitches are straight. Thanks for the specifics! Hugely helpful. Again, it's looking awesome so far!

I just started acquiring items and fabric for Jyn Erso and I thought I would share this find. Great for anyone needing last-minute boots on a budget.

I got these combat boots at Target for only $26.59 (after 30% off with Cartwheel). The side and heel stitching looks right, color is good. There's an extra stitching line over the top of the toes but mostly will be hidden under the flap+buckle detail I need to build on top. (that stitching line is still consistent with the Star Wars world though, like Padme's arena boots)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/d9c6974522dbe8de9de3cbe7ce473db8.jpg

Thanks for the tip on these boots! I found them at my local Target a couple days ago on sale for the same price. They are perfect except the toe stitching, but I think the over flaps might hide it a bit. The color is spot on to the picture on the cover of Us Weekly, although in most other images and in shots people have taken of the costume, they look darker. I'm psyched because I have some leather really close in color to make the flaps. I think I am going to purchase some of the 3-D printed buckles. Also, I have been wearing them, and they are super comfortable! I got them a half size large and put an insole in them, too.

UsWeekly.jpg

Here is a photo that I took at Comic-con. The flaps look almost black while the boot is a burnt umber/dark brown color. FYI, her gloves were definitely not the hero gloves – they didn't have the cut out, just circular stitching – so the whole costume at Comic-con may have been an alt version.

Mithril_JynBoot.jpg

Last edited:
Am I going crazy, or did Jyn have two different shirts on in the movie? When she first goes before Mon Mothma, I swear she had a different shirt on, one without the crossover collar. It had an opening kind of like this.

Alt Shirt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

smithjohnj, I can't open the PDF link. Maybe the PDF is too big. You could try saving it at a smaller size. Or maybe try making a .jpg, though it would be great to have a PDF.

Mithril Designs I tried uploading the PDF with a new file name, The original had an an embedded space which might have been my problem all along. I replaced the space with an underscore. The diagram is large but the file size is only 11 KB. If the attachment still shows as invalid, I will try something else. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by a moderator:
verdaera, I guess it is just an illusion. I thought that the stitches kind of were on an angle with the end of the stitch higher than the beginning, but I looked at your picture at maximum image size (Thanks for posting it so big!), and I see the stitches are straight. Thanks for the specifics! Hugely helpful. Again, it's looking awesome so far!

That's actually caused by improper needle size and/or tension on the machine and is usually seen as a flaw. I don't know if they stitched it purposefully like this. I couldn't replicate it, probably because the nylon fabric I was using, though doubled, is fairly thin. I'm not worried about it since I knew I'd be making a second version once I found better fabrics. You can stitch some samples and play with tension to see what you get!

Here is a photo that I took at Comic-con. The flaps look almost black while the boot is a burnt umber/dark brown color. FYI, her gloves were definitely not the hero gloves – they didn't have the cut out, just circular stitching – so the whole costume at Comic-con may have been an alt version.

View attachment 692180

Nice pic, thanks for sharing! It looks like it might possibly be the same black/brown paint that's applied to the belt and holster, so it would wear and show the leather below. I picked up my leather, dyes and paints yesterday and I'll be experimenting this weekend. I have my suspicions, but I'm not posting them yet til I know if I'm correct.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back