ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Vera, this looks fantastic!! Really nice job!!

Thanks!!

I have more dye samples done, still experimenting for the jacket, but I think my first brown for the vest is a winner. Still debating on trying a heavier thread, and I wonder if it's weathered at all so the threads aren't so bright. You can definitely tell it's a dull yellow, but some shots it seems like it might have been weathered over somehow.

dyesamples001.jpg

Thanks!!

I have more dye samples done, still experimenting for the jacket, but I think my first brown for the vest is a winner. Still debating on trying a heavier thread, and I wonder if it's weathered at all so the threads aren't so bright. You can definitely tell it's a dull yellow, but some shots it seems like it might have been weathered over somehow.

View attachment 689984

From the pictures I think the thread is a pale yellow topstitching thread. Topstitching thread is thicker and gives that angled straight stitch. Unfortunately my JoAnns only has about 6 colors of topstitching thread so I ended up with just regular thread. But for the vertical running stitches I got hand quilting thread which is a good thickness, and not quite embroidery thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never am sure what people notice or how they are approaching these projects but for those interested, for the vertical quilting on the vest in the high-resolution images the thread is doubled. Some people use doubled thread automatically and some use a single strand. I did go with a light yellow for the vertical quilting which was lighter than the khaki I used for the horizontal top-stitching but not a white as it looked too bright. To keep the threads together (and make the sewing easier for me) I ran the double thread through beeswax and then pulled the thread between a folded sheet of paper under a heated iron. This allows the wax to melt and help hold the separate strands together and the smooths the coating so it is not as lumpy as the wax without the ironing. I had to do this a few times to get wax to penetrate the way I wanted. Also I use short lengths of thread when I do the hand quilting so I made up several threaded and waxed needles at the start so I did not have to go back and forth from preparation to quilting.

- - - Updated - - -

The angled straight stitch is actually caused by using a needle too small for the thread, which makes sense since you want to use a small needle for the nylon anyway.

Thank you for this. This is not something I had heard before but is very useful information. It has happen to me and I never knew the cause.

One other point is that although the vest pockets are also top-stitched, they appear to be top-stitched with thread of a color similar to the base fabric not a lighter color of the main top-stitching. Either a different color was used or the weathering of the pockets darkened that top-stitching.

The angled straight stitch is actually caused by using a needle too small for the thread, which makes sense since you want to use a small needle for the nylon anyway.

Or having the tension not quite tight enough in the top thread. (The one time messing up actually made it a bit more accurate.)

This is the piece of webbing on the backside of ALICE pouches the metal clips would go through... good news it looks top stitched so I can add it afterwards, since I've already made my vest lol.
Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 4.27.50 PM.png

And one more thing!

I've known there was something hiding underneath her arm. (You can see the edge of what looks like seatbelt webbing in those first toy fair photos.)

Saved this from a Verizon twitter ad.

View attachment 689816

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 4.27.50 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Columbia jacket (woke up early that day to snag one before they sold out), which came in yesterday. I absolutely love it! Can't wait to wear it Thursday at the premiere.

Does anyone have suggestions for fading black fabric? I'd like to make my pants for Jyn look less new but also can't afford to wreck them since Thursday is premiere day!

I think ALICE packs only come in foilage green, cammo, and coyote tan, but dying it shouldn't be too bad, just be sure to use the dye for synthetic fabrics.

Any source for where to pick up Brown Alice pouches? All I'm finding are green nylon ones. That would be a pain to dye. D:

Does anyone have suggestions for fading black fabric? I'd like to make my pants for Jyn look less new but also can't afford to wreck them since Thursday is premiere day!

If you need a temporary fix, try dusting them all over with light makeup powder (and add more on the knees, tush and at the hem). This gives the pants a nice weathered look and it should mostly wash out later when you want to come up with a more permanent solution. I'm guessing baby powder would work just as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back