Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Wow! After the disappointment of last Christmas, I think this has suitably made up for it.

In fact, if the film consisted of just the last 10 minutes, that would have made up for it!

As my son said, '...seriously, are you crying?' (Yes, I was there back in the UK in '78).

I can only second that...I also had moments with tears of joy in my eyes...this was such a trip back into memory lane sometimes! Like back in 78 when I was just 15...:)

cheers
Uwe

Any other critics I should just straight up ignore? I still can't believe the New Yorker said this, verbatim:
There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”).

i just have to see for myself, but I just can't imagine reviews like that being taken seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other critics I should just straight up ignore? I still can't believe the New Yorker said this, verbatim:
There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”).

i just have to see for myself, but I just can't imagine reviews like that being taken seriously.
You telling me somebody considers AotC some of Lucas' best work and then BECAUSE of the dialogue?!? Pfff....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I thought it was a joke too, until I actually read it. Just goes to show you how the New Yorker tries to be "edgy" by praising something thats universally hated. Sand. Anakin talks about sand in AOTC. Thats Shakespearean? Excuse me while I go barf in a trash can. :sick

...I still can't believe the New Yorker said this, verbatim:

That article is absolutely the single most insane thing I've ever read on the internet.
Seriously, I feel less sane having read that.
You know that feeling when you've taken bad acid and the world starts spinning away, spiraling down into a pinhole of light while darkness closes in all around you?
That's how I feel after reading that article.

Enticingly florid dialogue? Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

6 hours and counting....

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Taking a girl out on saturday night to see it. I guess our discussion after the movie could depend on if there is a date number 3...

I remember going with a girl I liked to see ROTS... I had seen it but she hadn't (I played up like it was my first time) - That's how much I liked her... I was willing to sit through ROTS again.

While we waited for it to start, she went on about how she liked the other prequels and didn't like the OT cuz it looked old and crappy.

Now by this time I had pretty much had it with Star Wars, and so didn't get THAT riled up about it...

Then we got back to my place and she saw my collection (it was more of a pop culture collection than props at the time, but still, a lot of really cool stuff.. maquettes, etc.)

She took one look and asked "Why do you have so many toys? It looks like a kids room in here."

I got angrier.

Thn she saw some of my art prints.

"Do you actually watch cartoons?"

"I'm an ANIMATOR!"

And so the night quickly ended.

Long story short, GOOD LUCK Snikt ! As you can see, I'm completely over that night and not still annoyed by it.

I went from "I don't care" to "Hey, this might be good after all" to actually seeing the movie within 48 hours :lol

Had a genuinely good time watching it and the finale is what I was dreaming of for the last 32 years, ever since watching the final battle in ROTJ. That specific part could have been longer though ;)

Some parts of Rogue One seemed a bit uneven and I wonder if this is due to the reshoots/changes. But when the credits roled on TFA, that movie for me was the very defintion of "meh" and it got worse thinking about it. When the credits roled on Rogue One today, I knew I have to watch it again soon.

I remember going with a girl I liked to see ROTS... I had seen it but she hadn't (I played up like it was my first time) - That's how much I liked her... I was willing to sit through ROTS again.

While we waited for it to start, she went on about how she liked the other prequels and didn't like the OT cuz it looked old and crappy.

Now by this time I had pretty much had it with Star Wars, and so didn't get THAT riled up about it...

Then we got back to my place and she saw my collection (it was more of a pop culture collection than props at the time, but still, a lot of really cool stuff.. maquettes, etc.)

She took one look and asked "Why do you have so many toys? It looks like a kids room in here."

I got angrier.

Thn she saw some of my art prints.

"Do you actually watch cartoons?"

"I'm an ANIMATOR!"

And so the night quickly ended.

Long story short, GOOD LUCK @Snikt ! As you can see, I'm completely over that night and not still annoyed by it.

Thanks man! Your post made me laugh, thanks for sharing! Man, the kids room thing would have definitely got to me. Most of my nerd stuff is in the garage and downstairs...and in the hallway...and the spare room...pretty much my whole house. Nothing nerdy in my bedroom though! :cool

Here's a humorous article that pokes a bit of fun at Star Wars from a military point of view and there's a little bit about Rogue One in it too. There is a very minor spoiler in it so if you're one of those who don't like spoilers of any kind and consider even character names and general plot outline a spoiler, don't click on the link until you've seen the movie. For those of you who don't mind small spoilers, like stuff we already know from trailers and publicity stills, and esp. if you're current or prior military then you'll enjoy the article.

http://terminallance.com/2016/10/rogue-one-scene-id-like-see/

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back